Sehwag disappoints, YS in tatters, and KKD average--1st inning vs ACT XI

fineleg

In what was truly a batsman's paradise, the Indians were kept down to 9 for 325 dec on the first day of their warm-up match against Australian Capital Territory Invitational XI in Canberra. A couple of batsmen managed half-centuries but none went on to a big score against an attack which was club-standard. Wasim Jaffer and Rahul Dravid reached half-centuries but Indians will worry about three batsmen who let go of this chance. Virender Sehwag struggled before falling to a sensational catch, Dinesh Karthik flowed before throwing it away, and Yuvraj continued to sleepwalk through the series. The fact that they failed against a mostly unthreatening attack is the biggest worry. Sehwag, in his first dig on tour, took some time to find his feet and was lucky to be reprieved on 7.

I would still play Motu instead of Jaffer but they won't. Also, what is the point of Motu leapfrogging everyone to get to Australia while Gambhir/Chopda (not my favourite) stay at home and still Motu does not play. Bhajj should be replaced by Pathan & Yuseless by Motu but it won't happen. We are gonna lose the Perth test badly.

I would still play Motu instead of Jaffer but they won't. Also, what is the point of Motu leapfrogging everyone to get to Australia while Gambhir/Chopda (not my favourite) stay at home and still Motu does not play. Bhajj should be replaced by Pathan & Yuseless by Motu but it won't happen. We are gonna lose the Perth test badly.
no, bhajji should play. Yuseless should be replaced by Pathan. Pathan gives us more bowling options + by the looks of it he's even batting better than Yuseless :giggle:

we cant really say tht sehwag disapoint...he is been out of test matches for long time and even he didnt have practise....jaffer played 4 innigs in AUS and then after he mange to score 95 plus the bowling attack wasnt that impresive....yuvi has to be dropped for perth and pathan should be given chance bez he can be a all rounder...we need some one who can score atleast 30-35 after dhoni...

how could he be low in confidence man...he came in this series after making 200 and like two 50s...isnt it enough for ur confidence to go high...no doubt that he is playing first time in AUS but he cant be this much failed from batting after comming from such a good series...

lets not rate Jaffer FTB....He scored only hundred by indian in SA' date=' SAcan pitches are suppose to be difficult that Australia..He is just low in confidence....team has to come up a way where he can get his confidence back..[/quote'] Agree. The commentators were saying on this match his problem is he needs to settle first before his footwork gets going. If he can just play himself in I reckon he'll do well. Like others have noted here he tends to score 0,0,0 then 200! I thinks he's in line for century hopefully sooner rather than later. What about Karthik as well? Along with Jaffer these two put on 3 100/100+ stands for the first wicket. They are a good opening partnership and should be tried again, they have a good understanding. Our success in England was built on good opening stand and good pace bowling. One bad series and we dump Karthik. Yuvraj is the one that should be dumped. T20 is a joke compared to Test cricket and he's proved he just can't cut it against the best in the world.

we have good core that could possibly replace our Fab 4.... Yuvraj has lot to learn, he is not finished product in Tests. Everybody got to remember that Dravids, Tendulkars, Laxmans were not produced on one or two tests..they slowly picked up their averages...we need to give them time KKD, Jaffer, Yuvi, Sehwag. This guys have delivered on big scene...

we have good core that could possibly replace our Fab 4.... Yuvraj has lot to learn, he is not finished product in Tests. Everybody got to remember that Dravids, Tendulkars, Laxmans were not produced on one or two tests..they slowly picked up their averages...we need to give them time KKD, Jaffer, Yuvi, Sehwag. This guys have delivered on big scene...
Yuvraj has not delivered in tests apart from against Pakistan. The other three have.

I think this should have sealed Yuvraj's time in the team for now. Sehwag in for Yuvraj in my opinion. 24 is not disasterous and even a 20 or 30 would be worth getting Dravid back to the middle order where he thrives. It seems that Jaffer has salvaged a place in the side, but I am still not convinced. I will be interested to see how the pace bowlers do tomorrow. VRV Singh and Pankaj Singh have a massive opportunity.

c'mon man' date=' he has delivered in cruch situations, played valuable knocks in WC 2003, and playing against pakistan is suppose to be greatest pressure situation...[/quote'] we are not talking abt WC or 2020 rite now...we talking abt test cricket....he did play one godd inning agaist pakistan but then he needs to continue atleast score in 30s....rather then not passing atleast 10...

Dravid had pathetic down under tour his first ever in 96...should we have dropped him?? Yuvi has delivered in crunch situation....he has been our top performer in ODI..again do not confuse it with 20/20, in ODI he has shown ability to build innings, has been patient on occassions..

If after 8 years of international cricket, he is still not a finished product then that says a lot about him.. doesn't it?? The demons are in his head rather than anywhere else. Even though i acknowledge that he is a finished product for ODIs and 20-20s and is quite a delight to watch in those formats.. Especially while chasing targets in ODIs. It is quite surprising the way UV and Sehwags career have gone so far... UV who is said to have a better technique than Sehwag has been a (sort of) failure in Tests, while Sehwag with a lousy footwork was a phenomenal success at least in the first few years...

the problem for yuvi her is he is scared to play his shots. against pakistant when he made 169 he played all over ground and he wasnt scared to play any shots...here he seems to first thinking to settle down him self and then trying to play his shots....and sehwag was great in test matches dont knw y he was dropped...i think he did ok in practise match after sitting on banches for long time...