Anil Kumble says Australia triggered crisis

abhinav

Ponting turned down apology offer - Kumble Cricinfo staff January 8, 2008 Indian captain Anil Kumble has revealed that he had called up Australian captain Ricky Ponting, after the third play's day of the Sydney Test, requesting him to not press the charge of racism against offspinner Harbhajan Singh. Kumble told a press conference in Canberra on Wednesday that he, as captain, offered to apologise on Harbhajan's behalf, if there was any offence caused. Ponting, Kumble said, declined the offer and said he wanted to see the process through after complaining to umpires Steve Bucknor and Mark Benson at the end of the third day's play. More to follow

should entire indian team, management be fined? team, bcci need to get story right and stick to it..... re: Monkey claims this is what has happened so far on aussie claims symmo was called monkey. indian response: 1st Bhajji never said anything, 2nd if said then "monkey" not racist 3rd, SRT said he heard nothing 4th demand dropping of all charges but this from cricinfo http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ausvind/content/current/story/330013.html "Indian captain Anil Kumble has revealed that he had called up Australian captain Ricky Ponting, after the third play's day of the Sydney Test, requesting him to not press the charge of racism against offspinner Harbhajan Singh. Kumble told a press conference in Canberra on Wednesday that he, as captain, offered to apologise on Harbhajan's behalf, if there was any offence caused. Ponting, Kumble said, declined the offer and said he wanted to see the process through after complaining to umpires Steve Bucknor and Mark Benson at the end of the third day's play. " how could any offense be caused if nothing was said by bhajji in fisrt place? why would indian captain ( who i respect a lot ) say this then? If i was BCCI's lawyer i would recommend one story and to stick to it....they should all be fined/reported to ICC

No one's ever denied that nothing was said on the ground, Aussies sledged Bhajji and then turned in to cry babies when Bhajji gave it back to them. Kumble's attempt to sort it out with Ponting shows his magnanimity and his understanding of the situation; he wanted to diffuse a simmering crisis which eventually blew up in everyone's face including Ponting's. If anything, Kumble revelation shows Ponting in worse light, what a arrogant jerk!

taking the initiative to diffuse the tension can not be amounted to Kumble's confession of Bhajji calling Symonds a Big Monkey.
i see what you mean but i can think that was the only thing that could have caused offense... maybe i am pissing in the wind here, we may never know what was/wasn't said.... its interesting because here it looks like bhajji's trying to apologise at 1.07 and SRT trying to as well...ponting looks pissed off! BnV1L3kBIR0

Harbhajan Singh racism controversy Ponting turned down request - Kumble Siddhartha Vaidyanathan in Canberra January 8, 2008 Time to bury the hatchet and extend the olive branch? © Getty Images Anil Kumble has revealed that he had approached Australian captain Ricky Ponting, after the third play's day of the Sydney Test, requesting him to not press the charge of racism against offspinner Harbhajan Singh. "I did make a request actually when that incident happened on that particular day," said Kumble speaking in Canberra in what was the first official press conference since the Sydney Test. "I did make a request that it should be handled ... if it can be sorted out, whatever issues. But it went up to the match referee and there was a case. His response was it had already been reported. Having played cricket for this long, [i knew] such an allegation would definitely spiral into what it has now. I anticipated that. "And I envisaged that it would spiral into a larger issue. So that was the only reason. There was a hearing and now we've made an appeal. I'm sure things will be sorted out now." However, Kumble didn't think the incident would affect the relationships between the two captains during the third Test in Perth, set to start on January 16. "It's important that Ricky and I got together and spoke about it and then get together and address it," he said. "It was not that the spirit of the game was attacked but the focus has been to ensure that better spirit prevails in the game. We [captains] are all equal partners to ensuring that cricket is played in the right spirit and, I'm sure moving forward, everybody will stick to that. On behalf of my team, I'm sure we'll play in the right spirit." The ICC appointed Ranjan Madugalle to mediate between the two captains. But did Kumble think he could have a chat with Ponting in the current situation? "I have no problems. What's the problem there? It was just a temporary setback. We need to move on. The game is bigger than the individual. As a nation we've played good cricket. I'm proud of the way Indian cricket teams have played over the years and we'll continue to do that. "The relationship between India and Australia has always been good," said Kumble after the heated exchanges after the second Test. "it was only meant for the Sydney game. I've respected Australian cricket, played against the all these years, I have great respect and regard for all the players who have played for Australia. It was just one of those incidents which everybody has seen and if people think I had a biased opinion, there has been a poll and people who have sent the game have also said it could have been better." Kumble, who had said he would want to review the captains' agreement on low-catches, said he hadn't thought about it yet and would bring it up in discussion once the team reached Perth.

If you read the above, the word 'apology' is not mentioned, just Kumble's efforts to diffuse the situation. Sledging is not new to Aussies, other teams have taken much more load of **** from them over the years without running to the refs. Like one of the columnists said, you call me stupid ten times, I am liable to turn around and call you a bloody fool once! I will still take SRT's word as higher then anyone else's; besides the word of mouth, there is no other evidence of what was actually said.

i think he said, but dunno if he meant it. they denied it first. so even if they want to apologise now, they can't. they have to stick with denial or else will make a grand fool outta themselves.
It was NOT to be an apology, just an attempt to settle the differences out of the ref's room. I think that was the best thing that could have been done. Kumble is NOT accepting to the racial slur and everyone agrees that words were exchanged on the ground.
Ponting turned down apology offer - Kumble Cricinfo staff January 8, 2008 Indian captain Anil Kumble has revealed that he had called up Australian captain Ricky Ponting, after the third play's day of the Sydney Test, requesting him to not press the charge of racism against offspinner Harbhajan Singh. Kumble told a press conference in Canberra on Wednesday that he, as captain, offered to apologise on Harbhajan's behalf, if there was any offence caused. Ponting, Kumble said, declined the offer and said he wanted to see the process through after complaining to umpires Steve Bucknor and Mark Benson at the end of the third day's play. More to follow
Kumble is an idiot even for suggesting such a thing. I think we have lost all now. Kumble should have kept his mouth shut.
Kumble is an idiot even for suggesting such a thing. I think we have lost all now. Kumble should have kept his mouth shut.
Dooks, this discussion is moved ahead on another thread. It is conclusively proved that Kumble did not offer to apologise; its a case of misreporting; howeve, he did try to make peace and settle the issue with Ponting before it was escalated.

symonds,Ponting and company had predicted hard times for sreesanth ,bhajji and company when they were in India..... Ponting continueing his bunny hop only made what happened more obvious.Ponting and company set him up...and they set him up big...no dear, a fine or a small ban wouldn't do.The "dog" was looking a silly bunny too often .Symmo baited him and he responded. Of course he said things...probably not ban worthy.So a ban worthy word was put in his mouth. No one other than syymo and his boyfrieds heard it...no mike caught it...no umpires.

Here is the complete text of the Kumble conference: [h1]Kumble 'knew race issue would spiral' [/h1] January 9, 2008 - 7:55PM Indian captain Anil Kumble said he asked Australian skipper Ricky Ponting to settle the Harbhajan Singh racial abuse allegation without making a formal complaint. However Ponting told him he had already spoken to the umpires about the incident. The incident during last week's second Test in Sydney resulted in a three-match ban for the Indian spinner at a hearing in the early hours of Monday morning at the SCG, prompting the Indian board (BCCI) to threaten to suspend the tour. India have arrived in Canberra for a three-day game starting on Thursday against an ACT XI at Manuka Oval after spending the past two days in Sydney waiting to hear back from their board on whether or not the tour would proceed. The BCCI lodged an appeal against Harbhajan's suspension and the appeal date before New Zealand High Court judge John Hansen is yet to be set, allowing the fiery slow bowler to play in next week's third Test in Perth. The Indians have also successfully pushed to remove West Indian umpire Steve Bucknor from next week's third Test in Perth. Ponting has defended his actions by saying he was obligated under the playing conditions of the four-Test series to report any incidents of racial abuse. "When that incident happened I did make a request to Ricky Ponting that it should be handled, if it can be sorted out, whatever," Kumble said. "His response was that it had already been reported. "Having played cricket for this long, (I knew) such an allegation would definitely spiral into what it has now. I anticipated that it would spiral into a larger issue. "There is an appeal that has been made so we are hopeful we get the right decision. "From what I gather from my two team-mates from the Indian side who were on the field, that remark was never made. "People believe that a word was said, which was not said. "It has been tough. It has been very difficult because it's a very serious issue. "The entire team is together on this and has really backed him. "I am really proud of that fact and I'd like to thank the BCCI for fully backing us. "We are all with Bhaji (Harbhajan). It's not easy but he seems to be in a good mood." The Australians also say Symonds was called a "monkey" by Harbhajan in the one-day series in India in October and the big Queenslander had approached his Indian rival in the dressing rooms after the game and explained it was a racially insulting term. But Kumble said Harbhajan had told him that incident also did not happen. However Kumble said the game was bigger than individuals. "It will be a hard-fought match (in Perth). It's important that whatever cricket that we play is remembered. I'm hopeful that will be the case," he said. Kumble infamously said in his press conference following the Sydney Test that only one team was playing in the "spirit of cricket". But he tried to be more generous about the Australians' hard-edged playing style. "It was only meant for the Sydney game," he said. "I have great respect and regard for all the players who play for Australia. "It was just one of those incidents which everybody has seen. "If people think I had a biased opinion, there has been a poll and people who have seen the game have also said that it could have been better." Kumble also confirmed the Indians would push ahead with their formal complaint against Australian spinner Brad Hogg for abusive language. The charge will be heard in Perth next week. Ponting and Kumble will meet before the third Test to discuss player behaviour. "On behalf of my team, I can assure that we will play in the right spirit," Kumble said. Asked which specific incidents so riled the Indians in the Sydney Test, Kumble said: "It's important that Ricky and I get together and address it, rather than I say it now ... outside the cricketing field." The BCCI has agreed to proceed with the tour "for the time being", with a dismissal of Harbhajan's appeal likely to trigger a fresh threat to the one-day series between India, Sri Lanka and Australia due to start in Brisbane on February 3. The Sri Lankans are believed to be ready to back the Indians if they decide to pull out of the one-day series. Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland backed Ponting and what he called the Australian team's "tough and uncompromising" style. "The support of him as team captain is absolute," said Sutherland. "Ricky is very willing and a number of days ago made an offer to Anil Kumble to get together and talk through their differences of opinion. "I'm very confident that will happen. "The Australian cricket team will be the first to admit they are not perfect. "They don't get it right all of the time, but they get it right a lot more now than they used to since their public pledge to the spirit of cricket in 2003." © 2008 AAP

If you read the above, the word 'apology' is not mentioned, just Kumble's efforts to diffuse the situation. Sledging is not new to Aussies, other teams have taken much more load of **** from them over the years without running to the refs. Like one of the columnists said, you call me stupid ten times, I am liable to turn around and call you a bloody fool once! I will still take SRT's word as higher then anyone else's; besides the word of mouth, there is no other evidence of what was actually said.
SRT amazing player, 3rd on my list behind bradman and lara (:giggle:), no, would be 2nd. but that doesn't mean his word is law, command from heaven etc....he said he didn't hear it...i havent heard him say it wasn't said, only he didnt' hear it....ie he missed it....may or may not have been said

Aussiefan, SRT categorically says that the remark was NOT made by Bhajji. he did not merely say that he did not hear it being said; so his word is atleast as good as Clarke's or Hayden's who were standing in the slips and were much further away from action then where SRT was!