LBW's and Australia :

Guest BossBhai

Guest dada_rocks
Simple indeed' date=' Bossby. Clearly indicates the better technique of Aussie batsmen.[/quote'] Better technquie or comfort of mommy's lap at home ..:hysterical:
Guest dada_rocks
Good point Bumps. Except in NZ , WI & SAF ... everywhere else Aus have a higher lbw/Innings ratio in this decade.
[B]HomeTeam                AusLBW/Inngs[/B]
Bangladesh                   2.63 <---- :giggle:
Sri Lanka                    2.37
England                      2.21
India                        1.76
New Zealand                  1.43
West Indies                  1.35
South Africa                 1.17

[B]Overall                    1.78[/B]

Technique ? :D

SO it's mommy's lap not technique:hysterical:
Guest dada_rocks

Just one look at last inning played will reinforced BB's finding.. Hussey plumb numeorus times not given.. R P Singh and Dhoni at best dubious but given..

Awesome stats BB. Your stats engine is really something. :top: Some analysts and commentators of the game have noted that a few umpires were slightly wary, apprehensive even, to deny McGrath and Warne's LBW appeals. Maybe out of reverence for these legends or wary of poor marking at the hands of the captain of the world's best team. Just looking at McGrath and Warne's prolonged appeals and incredulous looks after being denied an LBW almost made the umpire doubt their decision and that played on their minds during every subsequent appeal, which is why I think more often than not Australia tended(still tend to?) to get appeals in their favour.

Some analysts and commentators of the game have noted that a few umpires were slightly wary' date=' apprehensive even, to deny McGrath and Warne's LBW appeals. Maybe out of reverence for these legends or wary of poor marking at the hands of the captain of the world's best team. Just looking at McGrath and Warne's prolonged appeals and incredulous looks after being denied an LBW almost made the umpire doubt their decision and that played on their minds during every subsequent appeal, which is why I think more often than not Australia tended(still tend to?) to get appeals in their favour.[/quote'] Gambo, Isn't it obvious ? You mention two of cricket history's greats (in any estimation). They beat the bat more often than other bowlers. Would you care to name Indian bowlers who don't appeal for almost anything hitting the pads ? It is they who are past masters of over appealing - no matter where the ball pitches or if it hit the bat before the pad.

It is quite simple.... Speedo is an aussie and he is the boss of these umpires... there is something bigger going on than y'all think.... I have always maintained Australia is a very good team, but they are not really all tht great... The 2nd, 3rd and 4th ranked countries are between 105 and 110 points... Australia would have been 120 instead of the 143 tht they are sitting on.... so many key decisions every match and series make it really laughable....

The first thing I looked for is to see what the difference is between subcontinent and other countries. In Ind, Pak and SL it should be very high. In Aus, Eng and NZ it should be slightly lower. Aus are the benchmark and their low LBW rate at home suggests their success comes more from edges than stump to stump bowling. So lesson? Bowling on a line and length outside off to be more successful in Aus. That's if I'm understanding the stats properly. Sadly Pakistan have been far too inclined to bowling on the stumps in Aus, perhaps on the off stump line or just outside like the current Aussie bunch and McGrath in yesteryear, they might have had been better off. I am amazed to see how straight NZ bowl at home, the wickets are a lot pacier than in the sub continent, but also why opposition getting so few LBW in comparison? Interesting stats, well done for compiling them.

thanks for the kind words .... can you explain why the numbers dont mean much to you ? All countries are included in that stat in the OP ...
Bossbhai - I really do appreciate the perspective presented and the work going behind this. But I just happen to believe that numbers alone without seeing the cricket action itself dont mean all that match. Take Mishra's figures in that first Test for example. If one were to follow the game through the scorecard, his figures would have been very good. Only if one were to watch the match one would understand how he bowled. And sometimes bowlers may get wickets off pretty bad balls. So on so forth. That is the reason I call numbers alone cold. I know a lot of cricket is about statistics. I am OK as long as the action drives the statistics and inferences thereof. I have a problem once it is the other way round. Let me know if I have answered your question or if I have been far too generic. Oh and sorry I saw just now that it had stats for all the countries. Thanks again.