Aussie promise to play in true spirit of cricket

guju24

In a bid to wipe-off the 'blot' on their image of playing with "win-at-any-cost" attitude, Australian skipper Ricky Ponting and his men have pledged to protect the spirit of the game but would continue with their aggressive style of play. The Australian team held an extraordinary meeting with players, reinforcing their pledge to the spirit of cricket in a bid to restore their battered image, a report in the 'Herald Sun' on Sunday said. Leadership guru Ray McLean also attended the meeting, it was reported. Australia drew flak from media, fans and many former players for not playing the game in the true spirit. Questions were raised on their sportsmanship as they claimed catches, which were not and did not show honesty when they themselves were out clearly. Michael Clarke, who acted as protagonist in the ill-tempered Sydney Test by waiting too long for the umpire's decision even after offering a clear catch and later claiming a doubtful low catch, praised Ponting for taking the initiative. "One of Ricky's greatest strengths is that he always seems to bring things to the forefront, and he always seems to address the team when it needs to be addressed," he said. "On big occasions, before the recent Ashes, after 2005, before the World Cup, he always seems to address us at the right time." Ponting hopes his team's image improves further when he and Indian counterpart Anil Kumble smoke the peace-pipe, the report added. TOI let see how true spirit they going to show this time...may be this time they will appeal for one bounce catch..:haha::haha::haha:

I see that the Aus have engaged themselves in a PR campaign at various levels to gain back some lost ground, good for them. I have been calling Clarke all sorts of names in the last few days, but the truth is that the Aussies play the game as fairly as most teams, their only blot is how they try to bad-mouth most opposition players on the field. The blatant truth is, there have been instances of much more grave incidents of cheating on the cricketing field by other teams and sadly, at the top of the leader-board is Pakistan. Their players, at various points have, tampered with the ball, tampered with the pitch, shielded their drug-tainted players, wrongfully claimed dropped catches and worst of all, fixed matches for money. Even Indian players have done that. The normally decent Eng, have had captains like Atherton tamper with the ball and even the Saffie captain Cronje committed the ultimate sin. Considering all this, what the Aus have done can be termed minor offences, though they are no less serious. Lets not lose perspective of the past and just blame the entire Aussie team as cheats. Nothing could be far from the truth. Nobody cheat their way to be world champions. There are certain aspects of their game that they need to address and its good to see them moving in that direction.

Guest dada_rocks
I see that the Aus have engaged themselves in a PR campaign at various levels to gain back some lost ground, good for them. I have been calling Clarke all sorts of names in the last few days, but the truth is that the Aussies play the game as fairly as most teams, their only blot is how they try to bad-mouth most opposition players on the field. The blatant truth is, there have been instances of much more grave incidents of cheating on the cricketing field by other teams and sadly, at the top of the leader-board is Pakistan. Their players, at various points have, tampered with the ball, tampered with the pitch, shielded their drug-tainted players, wrongfully claimed dropped catches and worst of all, fixed matches for money. Even Indian players have done that. The normally decent Eng, have had captains like Atherton tamper with the ball and even the Saffie captain Cronje committed the ultimate sin. Considering all this, what the Aus have done can be termed minor offences, though they are no less serious. Lets not lose perspective of the past and just blame the entire Aussie team as cheats. Nothing could be far from the truth. Nobody cheat their way to be world champions. There are certain aspects of their game that they need to address and its good to see them moving in that direction.
I don't know any other teamplayers who claim catch on bump balls with such regularity and alacrity and have audacity to snap if u question their integrity.. U are on ur way to that classic cop-out : "it's charm of cricket". U sound little apologetic on that last week but I can sense the recovery process is well under-way
I don't know any other teamplayers who claim catch on bump balls with such regularity and alacrity and have audacity to snap if u question their integrity.. U are on ur way to that classic cop-out : "it's charm of cricket". U sound little apologetic on that last week but I can sense the recovery process is well under-way
I,unlike you, still have my sense of perspective about me and dont go about generalizing groups of peoples. If someone doesnt play fair, i criticize them, and dont mindlessly rubbish the entire team. ...............................
go ahead. Just dont induge in anything other than specifics and facts. lets start from 2004 BG Series Test 1 Ball 1 IKP to Langer ...
Forget it. You know what your problem is BB, you are facing a similar situation to this guy red_glasses.png Asking you to have objective unbiased opinions is like praising the beauty of the yellow or green color to this guy. Of course he will just rubbish it, coz he sees only red or shades of it. Similar to him, each and every opinion is biased your inherent hatred and suspicion for Australia. Just because you refuse to see the truth, doesnt mean it doesnt exist out there. And just to finish what i was wanting to say, just re-read your post again
yeah Dada ... this is a re-run of the 2004 BG series in India all over again ..... I quite distinctly remember on the OLD MB people getting all worked up after the usually thuggery at the hands of Billy and Bucknor ... only for it to change into a sheepish "Aussies are the best" ... "They won fair and square" etc etc .... while the videos of the robbery mocked at me ..... I guess the concept of learning from history is totally lost on us ....
What big words for just a sport ! :haha:
I,unlike you, still have my sense of perspective about me and dont go about generalizing groups of peoples. If someone doesnt play fair, i criticize them, and dont mindlessly rubbish the entire team. You guys are just a bunch of paranoid specimens who look for silly excuses to cover up your own insecurities and lack of self-belief. I am not. In fact, this Aussie controversy is a true test of a pedigree of a fan. A typical fan will know that, with the circumstances being what they are currently, his words will be lost in the cacophony of other voices and hence he can get away with some low-class abuse which would have otherwise invited censure. And i am really happy to see there are posters like Shwetabh who still have their wits about themselves. Thank you God, thank you for the small mercies.
You have a point, but at the same time; I don't think you should call anyone like "paranoid specimens" etc, are you trying to impress someone? A typical fan, hmm, how many do you know man! half of India, according to you et many reacted just like that You can make your point but don't think it's appropriate to call on someone's insecurities and self-belief, I mean how can you just claim that from few posts on an internet board. What happened, you got frustrated on some other topic here and had to spill it out here