FAO : Sehwag rubbishers

Hindsight? Which planet have you been on? Many of us wanted him to play right from the start ahead of Yuseless even when he was not scoring in domestics.
Certainly not from planet Sehwag. You're missing the point. At the outset of the series he selectors were perfectly justified in excluding Sehwag from the playing 11 because others in the squad were in much better form including Yuvraj who was rightly alloted a place. Their only mistake, as I have said, was not to play him in Sydney. One cannot make out a case based on how well he played last time in Australia. It would be foolish to rely on a commendable performance demonstrated 4 years ago. Yes if we got the chance to turn the clock back then we all know who we would and wouldn't choose but it's the quality of the decision at the time which must be measured and that decision took into account the very serious risk of Sehwag, once again, failing to perform.
Guest HariSampath

*bump* Lets not forget Virender Sehwag, who has stood up and delivered in both test matches, not just the runs/wkts but in a way that has helped the team to grab momentum. GO Sehwag !!

Apart from a very steady head, and a steely temparament, he runs wonderfully well between the wickets despite that noticeable paunch, better than almost all in the side, barring Tendulkar. What would have happened had he figured in the first two Tests? We'll never know, but it just drives home the point that lay fans, who were crying out for his inclusion, often have a better intuition for the game than those making decisions.

What a revelation Sehwag has been ! I, for one, have to admit that I really didnt think Sehwag was capable of surviving against the Aussie bowlers, let alone score off them. But he seems almost a 100% back to his usual self, scoring runs quickly. With regards to yesterday's innings, I was really happy with the way he was shaping, he wasnt mindlessly going after every ball, defending the good ones and having the occasional slash outside off-stump. It was a pity he didnt go on to make a 100. And people like Sehwag really perplex me. For months after he was dropped, he struggled to score runs against two-bit attacks in FC cricket, but back into the international team against the best team in the world, he looks quite at home and ease ! Maybe, just maybe, champions like him need an appropriate platform to show-case their talents. Maybe they just dont care enough otherwise. Sehwag is third in the list of players, after Ganguly and Irfan, of players who were dropped, didnt really set the FC class scene on fire and yet came back and did well.

Yes you know who you are' date=' talking about proving all time greats in domestic mirch masalas, so admit it you got it wrong in tis thread.[/quote'] You can start first. Back in July, you claimed that Sehwag was, i quote, "a loser" who didn't deserve to be in the side because, i quote, "over the past year and a half all his runs have been on pattas, has not improved his technique against the incoming delivery, etc." What's changed ?
Guest HariSampath

I wouldnt say he is back to his usual self 100%, but seems to me around 75%, but that is still way too good. Like others here, I had been more impressed with the way he has been playing in the last 3 inngs, which IMO was key to India even thinking about winning test matches in Aus, rather than going out from ball one to b lock block and start surviving before even game started

What a revelation Sehwag has been ! I, for one, have to admit that I really didnt think Sehwag was capable of surviving against the Aussie bowlers, let alone score off them. But he seems almost a 100% back to his usual self, scoring runs quickly. With regards to yesterday's innings, I was really happy with the way he was shaping, he wasnt mindlessly going after every ball, defending the good ones and having the occasional slash outside off-stump. It was a pity he didnt go on to make a 100. And people like Sehwag really perplex me. For months after he was dropped, he struggled to score runs against two-bit attacks in FC cricket, but back into the international team against the best team in the world, he looks quite at home and ease ! Maybe, just maybe, champions like him need an appropriate platform to show-case their talents. Maybe they just dont care enough otherwise. Sehwag is third in the list of players, after Ganguly and Irfan, of players who were dropped, didnt really set the FC class scene on fire and yet came back and did well.
That's why you shouldn't get lost in numbers only.
You can start first. Back in July, you claimed that Sehwag was, i quote, "a loser" who didn't deserve to be in the side because, i quote, "over the past year and a half all his runs have been on pattas, has not improved his technique against the incoming delivery, etc." What's changed ?
That was back in July. All he needed was some time out and I've been advocating his selection since the Pakistan tour. Some time out, that's what's changed.