Breaking News: Team Announced For Tri-Series

Prudent

Chawla needs some breakthrough chance...he is a wicket taking bowler with decent batting skills.
Ranji final v. Delhi: 0 wickets Ranji semi-final v. Saurashtra: 0 wickets Hmm... And keep note, even when he WAS taking wickets earlier in the season, he got outbowled on a Baroda dustbowl by Rajesh Pawar, Yusuf Pathan and Praveen Gupta.
Guest HariSampath

Ganguly has been dropped because he has a very poor strike rate and can ONLY play at the top of the order. He cannot play anywhere else and that will mean Sehwag cannot play, hence he was dropped. 2 other factors were his fielding and running between wkts. The big Aussie grounds demand running plenty of 2s and 3s, and in a 50 over scenario this alone translates into minimum of 40-50 runs which certainly we will lose if Ganguly is in the team. Also while fielding , Ganguly in the outfield means the same bonus 40 runs for opposition as they will convert 1s into 2s and 2s into 3s. His throwing is awful and will cost us minimum 2 runouts per game. Saurav Ganguly has been the biggest allround liability in the ODI team and as he has been dropped along with Dravid, things augur well for the Indians in ODIs. Chawla has probably been selected because it is not easy to tonk a legspinner over the boundary in big grounds and a leggie brings in variety. He is also a better fielder than Murali karthik, but I do think dropping Karthik for Chawla sucks bigtime.

Guest HariSampath
Why ganguly ? He has been the most successful batsman in the last few months.... Why him.....why not Tendulkar?
Because even a demented person escaped from an asylum will not prefer Ganguly over Tendulkar in ODIs( or for that matter Dravid over Tendulkar)...please check cricinfo for stats recently as well as watch match videos
Because even a demented person escaped from an asylum will not prefer Ganguly over Tendulkar in ODIs( or for that matter Dravid over Tendulkar)...please check cricinfo for stats recently as well as watch match videos
:two_thumbs_up: agreed... RD and SG would have been better playing ODI is Aussi conditions. Atleast RD was capable of blocking one end in case of Collapse (God forbid) and if u check the latest stats RD's strike rate has improved a lot . Further more, Aussies have never been good players of left armer even Niky Boje had a huge success with them so dropping Murli has again proved that BCCI :finger: is back in form. In Ranji Chawla was a flop in Semis and Finals and remember he was taken to the cleaners by Peterson in the last match.
Ranji final v. Delhi: 0 wickets Ranji semi-final v. Saurashtra: 0 wickets Hmm... And keep note, even when he WAS taking wickets earlier in the season, he got outbowled on a Baroda dustbowl by Rajesh Pawar, Yusuf Pathan and Praveen Gupta.
I agree, his domestic performance is no way justifying inclusion. But in past same could have been said about Sehwag...it may sound naive...I feel, like Sehwag, Chawla is a "special" player, one should not just always judge with domestic yardstick. As far as, MK is concerned, we already have Bhajji as an offie so selecting another offie might have become tough for selectors......so as you said, Chawla brings variety with some traditional legspin....nurturing a legspinner is more important here, I guess.

Understand yr comparison w/ Sehwag, but there's a big difference. Sehwag was picked on reputation based on what we KNOW he can do at the top level. Before that, he was picked for tests based on a tremendous f/c record. He had a long stretch where he consistently averaged 50-70 in the Ranjis, and based on that was picked to play int'l cricket. Before Chawla gets recalls or support based on consistent performance at the top, he needs to do something that can actually provide evidence that he can succeed at the top level. Like... um... TAKE WICKETS IN HIGH PROFILE, HIGH PRESSURE RANJI GAMES AGAINST THE BEST TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE.

Guest HariSampath
I agree, his domestic performance is no way justifying inclusion. But in past same could have been said about Sehwag...it may sound naive...I feel, like Sehwag, Chawla is a "special" player, one should not just always judge with domestic yardstick. As far as, MK is concerned, we already have Bhajji as an offie so selecting another offie might have become tough for selectors......so as you said, Chawla brings variety with some traditional legspin....nurturing a legspinner is more important here, I guess.
Murali karthik an offie ??? he is a left arm orthodox spinner who turns the ball exactly opposite to bhajji, and thats variety for you
Guest HariSampath
:two_thumbs_up: agreed... RD and SG would have been better playing ODI is Aussi conditions. Atleast RD was capable of blocking one end in case of Collapse (God forbid) and if u check the latest stats RD's strike rate has improved a lot . Further more, Aussies have never been good players of left armer even Niky Boje had a huge success with them so dropping Murli has again proved that BCCI :finger: is back in form. In Ranji Chawla was a flop in Semis and Finals and remember he was taken to the cleaners by Peterson in the last match.
my post was that even a lunatic will NOT prefer dravid or ganguly over Sachin for ODIs...
Agreed with me ? I had completely SUPPORTED the excusion of Dravid and Ganguly...read my post. :omg:
believe me Kumble turns his leg spinner more than chawla. I have never seen chawla's bowl spinning.

Quote by HariSampath viewpost.gif qs.gif Because even a demented person escaped from an asylum will not prefer Ganguly over Tendulkar in ODIs( or for that matter Dravid over Tendulkar)...please check cricinfo for stats recently as well as watch match videos qe.gif

my post was that even a lunatic will NOT prefer dravid or ganguly over Sachin for ODIs... Agreed with me ? I had completely SUPPORTED the excusion of Dravid and Ganguly...read my post. :omg:
I agreed on the point mentioned by u Saurav over sachin (Sachin is the best) certainl not acceptable and above all no were in ur post u supported the exclusion of RD and SG. :shades_smile:
Murali karthik an offie ??? he is a left arm orthodox spinner who turns the ball exactly opposite to bhajji' date=' and thats variety for you[/quote'] Yep, he is an orthodox, slow lelfty...thanks for correction! With 16 men squad, I hope Chawla sees the sunlight in middle with playing 11....and gets a 5fer to justify my backing :D
I somehow feel, BCCI babus should have waited till the end of 4th test. Laxman, Ganguly and Dravid are in good form and we need them in high spirits in last test. I will care less about ODI results, if we can draw the test series, inspite of being robbed in the second test.
you are perfectly right there. these are nothing but stupid procedures that are carried on right from 1940's. i have seen so many one day teams announced just before the final test match is completed. Navjot sidhu was dropped from the world cup 1992 team,just before the 4th day play of perth test. srikkanth and sidhu were defying the ausie bowlers on the previous day. after the news came in , Sidhu failed to get going.we collapsd losing 7 wickets for the last 27 runs or so. at least the BCCI could have announced a probables team and asked the shortlisted one day players to assemble in a camp in NCA untul the test series is over and complete the visa and ticketing formalities. instead of giving the " fielding side, young side" and all, BCCI should have fielded a team capable of winning the one day series, with "horses for the courses" policy. Ganguly is better suited to aussie pitches, especially in one day matches. he can also contribute with his swing bowling. he has better record in one dayers there than even SRT. Laxman would have been an asset in aussie conditions , last time he did extremely well.scored a few hundreds. Dravid is picking up his form and can contribute well against the SL and Aussie bowlers. i hope the omission would spur Ganguly and Dravid to prove their ability in the adelaide test and send a strong reminder to the BCI selectors. let us hope Dhoni can giude and inspire this bunch like what Kumble has done with the test team.

yea i agree with most of you. The team should of been announced after the 4th test. Its shocking to hear that Ganguly is dropped, i feel like his place in ODI's should never be questioned, i prefer that he played ODIs than tests. As far as Dravid being dropped looks like the team has permanently dumped him. Dravid is a solid player and has a great ODI record also. After all Yuvraj is in horrible form. As far as VVS is concerned hes been the the pillar of the Indian batting order, hes tormented the Aussies but he still gets no recognition for that. It comes back to when Sehwag was very effective during the 03-04 tour and prior to this hes been in horrible form and theres plenty of players who have peformed MUCH better than him in domestic cricket but yet they select him. Same should apply for VVS this guy was amazing in the ODI series in 03-04. Clearly board favoritism being portrayed. Why drop VVS when hes peforming well and scoring runs at a brisk pace. Selectors call him out on fielding but in all seriousness this guy has the safest pair of hands in the country. He ran well in the test series and looked for the singles. He played well in the pro40 for Lancashire but yet got no recognition for that. If a ODI performance is used as a basis for the selection of a test team why not vice versa? Ridiculous. Indian selection commitee=A bunch of jokers.

Guest HariSampath
Quote by HariSampath viewpost.gif qs.gif Because even a demented person escaped from an asylum will not prefer Ganguly over Tendulkar in ODIs( or for that matter Dravid over Tendulkar)...please check cricinfo for stats recently as well as watch match videos qe.gif I agreed on the point mentioned by u Saurav over sachin (Sachin is the best) certainl not acceptable and above all no were in ur post u supported the exclusion of RD and SG. :shades_smile:
please read my post 100 times if you still cant understand.....please wait wherever you are, and the men in white coats will arrive soon :-):giggle::omg:
Guest HariSampath

It had been decided long back, even 2 months back to play Ganguly and Dravid only in tests and absolutely correctly too. Only Sachin deserves a place in the ODI squad based on his performances, form and fitness, the other 2 Dravid and Ganguly , their ODI careers are over and there is complete consensus among selectors/BCCI on this. I think they might have even been told beforehand. Dravid was first and now ganguly. laxman of course is never in the scheme of things in ODIs. We have already moved on to the era of Uthappas, Rohit Sharmas etc and even won T20..so no more looking back...we need to move on

please read my post 100 times if you still cant understand.....please wait wherever you are' date=' and the men in white coats will arrive soon :-):giggle::omg:[/quote'] Read it urself 200 times :Dand wait until they realize the importance of RD atleast.:((