4K UHD HDR

zen

4 minutes ago, zen said:

Samsung 8 series 4K HDR TV which is paired with Samsung M9500 blue ray player .... I have a projector too but it is not 4K 

I am looking to buy a 4k HDR TV soon, is Samsung, Sony or LG better in your view for picture quality? Also, is the expense for OLED tv worth it over normal LED?

1 hour ago, Forever Indian said:

I am looking to buy a 4k HDR TV soon, is Samsung, Sony or LG better in your view for picture quality? Also, is the expense for OLED tv worth it over normal LED?

Usually, top models from Samsung (9 series and 8 series), Sony and LG should do the trick. If possible, stay away from entry level 4K TVs of these brands as they may not give the best/optimal HDR experience and could use relatively old technology .... Note that Samsung products do NOT support Dolby Vision (DV) atm. When I got the TV, DV was not a huge factor but now tons of 4K discs have DV 

• DV = 12 bits video and dynamic metadata where HDR is implemented based on each scene. DV would also support HDR 10 (and likely HDR 10+)
  • HDR 10+ = 10 bit with dynamic metadata (Samsung) 
  • For OLEDs, “burn in” could be a negative factor 
  • If you room has a bright environment, LED has an advantage as they are brighter than OLED
  • In Europe, Panasonic, which is known for color accuracy, offers good TVs too 
  • Among Samsung, Sony and LG, if you want DV, choice narrows down b/w Sony and LG 

Edited by zen

49 minutes ago, zen said:

Usually, top models from Samsung (9 series and 8 series), Sony and LG should do the trick. If possible, stay away from entry level 4K TVs of these brands as they may not give the best/optimal HDR experience and could use relatively old technology .... Note that Samsung products do NOT support Dolby Vision (DV) atm. When I got the TV, DV was not a huge factor but now tons of 4K discs have DV 

• DV = 12 bits video and dynamic metadata where HDR is implemented based on each scene. DV would also support HDR 10 (and likely HDR 10+)
  • HDR 10+ = 10 bit with dynamic metadata (Samsung) 
  • For OLEDs, “burn in” could be a negative factor 
  • If you room has a bright environment, LED has an advantage as they are brighter than OLED
  • In Europe, Panasonic, which is known for color accuracy, offers good TVs too 
  • Among Samsung, Sony and LG, if you want DV, choice narrows down b/w Sony and LG 

Thanks Zen, very useful info :two_thumbs_up:. Have to do more research then.

1 hour ago, Forever Indian said:

Thanks Zen, very useful info :two_thumbs_up:. Have to do more research then.

Among Samsung, Sony and LG .... I would recommend starting out with researching the Sony X900F (North American model #) first as it covers most bases, then look at other equivalent or better options from the 3 brands depending up on the quality and features required   :dontknow: 

PS LINK

Edited by zen

42 minutes ago, zen said:

Among Samsung, Sony and LG .... I would recommend starting out with researching the Sony X900F (North American model #) first as it covers most bases, then look at other equivalent or better options from the 3 brands depending up on the quality and features required   :dontknow: 

PS LINK

Cool, there should be a similar model in UK as well.

13 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Cool, there should be a similar model in UK as well.

I believe that it is called XF90 in Europe

Sony 2018 LCD TVs

X900F in the US, and XF90 in Europe, is the successor to last year’s popular X900E series whereas X850F (XF85 in Europe) will replace X850E. We have already reviewed X900F (XF90), which has received our Highly Recommended Award.

LINK

For those who like Samsung colors, do not care about DV and do not want an OLED (to safeguard against potential Burn In issue), Samsung 8 series is a good option too (though a bit expensive than the Sony X900F also a LCD) 

Edited by zen

Schindler's List 25th Anniversary edition .... this is a brand new restoration in 4K supervised by Spielberg .... this is a pleasant filmic transfer .... best thing besides watching it in cinemas .... there appears to be a wider range of whites, greys and blacks  .... the dynamic range is handled nicely ....  and, of course, the film is a classic 

6298055_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=55

Edited by zen

2019 TV news 

I was expecting a lot of manufacturers to introduce 12 bits panels (Dolby Vision supports 12 bits), HDMI 2.1, etc., but 2019 TV line up is not that exciting. Many have introduced 8K TVs, which will be useful in panel sizes > 65 inches for the optimized content. With 8K content not widely available, only advantage of 8K TVs is its high end processing (and design) 

The lower end TVs from top manufacturers are a wash esp. on the LCD side. Sony appears to be investing in OLED so LCD TVs line could get relatively neglected by it (so you buy OLED which can burn in). Samsung wants you to buy their high end TVs as well so again the entry level offerings could leave a lot to be desired. Also in entry level TVs, there can be a case of panel lottery where someone can get a great TV, while someone could get one that sucks. Samsung is also in the process of exiting the blue ray player market. Announced that it will not be selling its 4K blue ray players in America   

In 2016, we saw some great TVs introduced on the LCD side such as Samsung's KS8000, which used QLED panel (from 2017, QLED panels are only available with Q line up of Samsung). Sony had the 900E and 930E in 2017 iirc. Now to get the similar performance, you will have to spend a lot more. In short, if you want quality, be prepared to spend big bucks. Alternatively, if you can get 2017 TVs like Sony 900E go for it while still in stock 

:hitler: