Poll on forum policy

The Outsider

Poll on forum policy  

1. 1.

• Petty insults and any other abuse should be dealt with infractions leading to a ban
    • Petty insults should be discouraged(by edit/delete) but should not lead to a ban

Are you saying being openly unpatriotic is a acceptable social norm ?
Perfectly so, particularly when it is against some aspect of one's nation. For example, many Americans despise America's overpowering world influence and their tendency to meddle in other people's affairs, and will speak out if given a chance. I dislike India's politicians, religious divides, corruption, superstitions, dowry taking, women's plight, sexual frustrations manifesting as lack of respect for the woman you are sitting next to and ogling at, the rat race mentality and morbid curiosity, wherein you want to know the financial status, bank balance and family income of every Indian you run into. What does that leave? The Indian cricket team, of course, who I love and support. You telling me I am wrong?

A patriotic person can hate his team. Indian cricket doesn't equate to the country....Hating the team' date=' players etc. is individual's right.[/quote'] Absolutely. An Indian can hate the Indian team. You need not agree with that, but you cannot punish that person for likes/dislikes. BTW - 75% have voted for option 2. It is quite clear, option 2 is the way to go. However, warn someone if they are trying to indulge in too many petty abuses. Ban is usually not required for that, unless it happens on a very regular basis.

Does this qualify as an abusive post? I think so.
Fine, and you can say so, and it will be deleted by the mods. That's the nice thing about this forum. Flexible, free, yet not breaching the boundaries of decorum. On the other hand, if you are simply trying to get a raise out me, sir, I'll have your plump ass.

ok and in real life if you call someone a idiot moron or fool you get your teeth re-arranged why should it be any different here ?
No, in real life thats not what happens. Well, if you re-arrange someones teeth becos they called u a moron or fool - you can, but eventually you will both be in the lock up for a night in the police station. For petty abuses, in real life, you are expected to either ignore, or report it to authorities.Authorities need to take the action. If you take law into your own hands, then you can, but as I said you will both be booked.

Fine, and you can say so, and it will be deleted by the mods. That's the nice thing about this forum. Flexible, free, yet not breaching the boundaries of decorum. On the other hand, if you are simply trying to get a raise out me, sir, I'll have your plump ass.
How does Doc know BB's is plump? :hysterical: PS: poor joke for comic relief :((

Ban should only be used for extreme cases where a poster or posters continuously hijacking threads and bring down the quality of the forum by resorting to personal abuse, racial abuse etc. 99% of the time, the forum should be maintained by the members. Only then it'll be long lasting and healthy forum. Mods should be involved only occassionally to regulate it when it gets out of control overall.

All that is fine Doc .. we are talkin about extreeme cases which your old eyes dont see ... stuff like saying India cannot claim PoK or Indian soldiers who fight at Kashmir are doing for a worthless cause and such things ...
BB, If you think folks who say that are quote and quote "fools" or "scumbags", pls. do set such folks on ignore option and live your life happily. Why waste time combating them? (i actually know why - its an ego, since i've combated too!, so dont feel compelled to answer!...its not like we TRULY expect to "reform" such people nor to "crush" them into dust either)

All that is fine Doc .. we are talkin about extreeme cases which your old eyes dont see ... stuff like saying India cannot claim PoK or Indian soldiers who fight at Kashmir are doing for a worthless cause and such things ...
That's his opinion, and if he has said it without being abusive, you gotta respect that. He lives abroad, probably hasn't spent more than 1/1000th of his life in India, nobody from his family died in the war, so he doesn't feel any personal bonds with the troops. Maybe he is sleeping with a Pakistani chick or bloke, whose father was killed by Indian troops, and who is browsing the forum as well, under the nick of Poori_meri and he wants to show his solidarity with him/her. Entirely his business.

Absolutely. An Indian can hate the Indian team. You need not agree with that' date=' but you cannot punish that person for likes/dislikes.[/quote'] Yes, otherwise most on here would be banned/have plenty of infractions for the things they've said about Ajit Agarkar alone going by sandtest's "only pro-Indian comments" logic.

Ban should only be used for extreme cases where a poster or posters continuously hijacking threads and bring down the quality of the forum by resorting to personal abuse, racial abuse etc. 99% of the time, the forum should be maintained by the members. Only then it'll be long lasting and healthy forum. Mods should be involved only occassionally to regulate it when it gets out of control overall.
Yes. Over moderation can cause the downfall of an otherwise good forum. Happens all too often. The way this ICF is run right now is good - no big changes required (well, nothing is perfect, so it can only be close to good) I made a complaint to mods on WL user id. They investigated, and gave me a few assurances, I've taken their word, and let it go for now. Thats all Mods need to do, be fair, and look into things unbiased.

Another abusive post?

That's his opinion' date= and if he has said it without being abusive, you gotta respect that. He lives abroad, probably hasn't spent more than 1/1000th of his life in India, nobody from his family died in the war, so he doesn't feel any personal bonds with the troops. Maybe he is sleeping with a Pakistani chick or bloke, whose father was killed by Indian troops, and who is browsing the forum as well, under the nick of Poori_meri and he wants to show his solidarity with him/her. Entirely his business.
Fully agree. The blue is the keypart. Opinions can vary - but you cannot abuse forum members.

I think anyone who disagrees with my opinions should be permanently banned! Afterall we all know that I am always right and the Gangulians are always wrong! Why wait for the abuse. Infact lets ban all gangulians now!!! (Needless to say I dont support banning anyone. If you cant take a little in your face comments ... u should not get out of bed)

If people can agree to disagree on certain things then it wont lead into personal attacks and abuses. Some of the posters love Sachin and equate him to a Godly status for fun or not fun but that doesn't mean everybody has to do the same. I have enjoyed watching cricket whenever Sachin plays but that doesn't mean I don't feel he has targeted some of the glory into his personal account and this has resulted in India losing some games. Well you can either agree or disagree to this fact or go for a kill chasing the poster. It is your choice!

this kind of stuff bothers me just as Tendulkar not scoring runs in 2nd inngs bothers you .... :D Hypocritical considering how there are draconian crack downs if I post -ve stuff about a particular religion. Surely a country is above religion !
So now will you ensure proper respect for all countries? What if I claim to be American and will not tolerate ANY criticism of Bushman? At t he end of the day what kind of forum do we want? An open and free forum or one where we have to adhere to some narrowly defined edicts?

Folks, I'm sure some of you have experienced other forums as well. I have thousands of posts in other places, and I can unequivocally tell you that ICF is the BEST FORUM that I've ever seen. There are many reasons, but the SINGLE MOST important reason is that Mods here are unbiased (i think and hope it will remain that way in future), and there is NO overmoderation. Overmoderation is the easiest way to bring a forum down. Ask anyone who has seen other places. Even abusive posters can be dealt with, but Mods are the key to a forum.