To drive or not to drive?

bunny

I was going through ball by ball stats of Dhoni and it seems that he averages almost 40 against spin (scoring close to 450 runs) and almost 30 against pace bowlers (scoring close to 650 runs). (excl Bang). It might give an impression that he doesn't have the technique against pace. However, out of a total of 23 dismissals against pace bowlers only once has he been bowled and just thrice has he been lbw (2 in this series). (The percentages are way better than any great batsman). He has got out a few times (probably 4 or so) to short balls (almost always while fending. Rarely has he got out while cutting, pulling or hooking). The rest have almost all been when he is playing the Dhoni drive. As Gavaskar would say, it's just not a percentage shot for him. (roughly 10-15 dismissals and it doesn't give him more than 200 runs). Now I was wondering how did he manage to score those 148 runs against Akhtar, Asif and company. When you go thru ball by ball stats you realize that he got only 25 runs by driving. (10-15 off Razzaq who was not really in his prime). Of those 25 runs one drive shot resulted in an edge that flew between the keeper and the 1st slip. A lot of the runs in that match came because Akhtar and co were hell bent on bouncing out Dhoni. And he scored numerous runs by pulling and cutting. The Aussies however have not fallen into this trap. I think they have watched his videos and they have pitched it on the good length. They are giving him nothing short, nothing wide and nothing down the leg side. Dhoni has at times shown remarkable application by trying to completely do away with the cover drive (at least stop driving good length deliveries). Also his front foot defense does look good. No idea which Dhoni we are going to see tomorrow but I'm sure Aussies won't change their plans. It should be a riveting contest!

Some very good research there. The Aussies have got him out almost on every occasion in this series caught behind, either by Gilly or in the slips, and there's no doubt that they came to the same conclusion as you did. Hope Dhoni knows this too. He was dropped once going for the drive, and is likely to perish against the new ball playing that very shot. Unfortunately, he won't get very far away from home against quality bowlers with such a glaring chink in his armour. The problem he has of course is that he is so bottom handed, a bit like the mohalla sloggers. There's no way he can safely drive a rising 145 kph delivery with that grip on the bat.

I was going through ball by ball stats of Dhoni and it seems that he averages almost 40 against spin (scoring close to 450 runs) and almost 30 against pace bowlers (scoring close to 650 runs). (excl Bang). It might give an impression that he doesn't have the technique against pace. However, out of a total of 23 dismissals against pace bowlers only once has he been bowled and just thrice has he been lbw (2 in this series). (The percentages are way better than any great batsman). He has got out a few times (probably 4 or so) to short balls (almost always while fending. Rarely has he got out while cutting, pulling or hooking). The rest have almost all been when he is playing the Dhoni drive. As Gavaskar would say, it's just not a percentage shot for him. (roughly 10-15 dismissals and it doesn't give him more than 200 runs). Now I was wondering how did he manage to score those 148 runs against Akhtar, Asif and company. When you go thru ball by ball stats you realize that he got only 25 runs by driving. (10-15 off Razzaq who was not really in his prime). Of those 25 runs one drive shot resulted in an edge that flew between the keeper and the 1st slip. A lot of the runs in that match came because Akhtar and co were hell bent on bouncing out Dhoni. And he scored numerous runs by pulling and cutting. The Aussies however have not fallen into this trap. I think they have watched his videos and they have pitched it on the good length. They are giving him nothing short, nothing wide and nothing down the leg side. Dhoni has at times shown remarkable application by trying to completely do away with the cover drive (at least stop driving good length deliveries). Also his front foot defense does look good. No idea which Dhoni we are going to see tomorrow but I'm sure Aussies won't change their plans. It should be a riveting contest!
Great Analysis Bunny! You should send this to Dhoni himself. How the hell did you do ball by ball analysis?

Dhoni is mindful of his weaknesses outside the off. Thats why you see him struggling to score off the pacers (who mostly bowl a foot outside the off for Dhoni). If he survives long enough, he will have an opportunity to score off spinners. Speaking of spinners, was waiting for the mouth watering clash between Veeru & Hoggy yesterday (as Veeru usually treats spinners like jokers). Sadly, veeru departed before Hoggy even began bowling to him.