kapil dev hundred south africa 1992 - Anyone have Video of this game you could upload

Yantra

3 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Of course, I understand what you were getting at. Given the Ind team of the 90s, I find it quite bizarre that Amre didn't get many more opportunities in Tests. the no. of players who avg over 40 prior to Gang-Dravid was less than 5 - can only think of Azhar, Sidhu and SRT (and Kambli in a few Tests). Hence, even on statistical grounds, it's weird that he was not given a longer rope.

Bad timing.  And it didn't help his case that we didn't play a lot of test cricket back then.   Jagmohan "DollarMiya" had just discovered the golden goose that was ODI cricket, and BCCI was busy playing 45 ODIs and a couple of tests a year.   And they routinely picked players regardless of format.  So Amre's stodgy play in ODIs and a couple of bad test innings, coupled with the emergence of the clearly talented Ganguly and Dravid, that was it.

And you've got to remember, that Indian selectors were pretty poor back in the day.  Used to be brutally short with the rope given to "new" players.   I give Sourav Ganguly a ton of credit for changing this.  He publicly came out repeatedly against this policy, and pushed for new players to be given at least 5-8 games before being discarded.  But this was in the 2000s, and Amre's career was history by then.  

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Bad timing.  And it didn't help his case that we didn't play a lot of test cricket back then.   Jagmohan "DollarMiya" had just discovered the golden goose that was ODI cricket, and BCCI was busy playing 45 ODIs and a couple of tests a year.   And they routinely picked players regardless of format.  So Amre's stodgy play in ODIs and a couple of bad test innings, coupled with the emergence of the clearly talented Ganguly and Dravid, that was it.

And you've got to remember, that Indian selectors were pretty poor back in the day.  Used to be brutally short with the rope given to "new" players.   I give Sourav Ganguly a ton of credit for changing this.  He publicly came out repeatedly against this policy, and pushed for new players to be given at least 5-8 games before being discarded.  But this was in the 2000s, and Amre's career was history by then.  

Yes, I quite agree. He deserves this praise, for bringing about the change in policy.