Importance of genuine quicks

3rd Man

Dont want to take anything away from our bowlers in Aus, but I strongly feel especially after watching the adelaide test, that some one like Sreesanth is a must in our team. Swing and seam are well and good if the pitch supports, otherwise taking 20 wickets in a test match will be extremely difficult.Some1 who avgs 142+ is a must, if nothing else atleast to keep the batsmen off the front foot.Maybe Ishant in a year or two could gain a few more yards in pace and become a genuinely quick bowler

Yep, Pathan is a gamble on this pitch anyway. RPs injury is really the key moment of the Test Match....He bowls at decent pace. The thing on flat pitches is consistency and bowling according to field which will be defensive. Sreesanth is in average form in Test Cricket....and now out of game for some time. He needs match practice and lots of it....

Yep, Pathan is a gamble on this pitch anyway. RPs injury is really the key moment of the Test Match....He bowls at decent pace. The thing on flat pitches is consistency and bowling according to field which will be defensive. Sreesanth is in average form in Test Cricket....and now out of game for some time. He needs match practice and lots of it....
Well I think you are confusing Sreesanth's One day and test perfomances. I am not his biggest fan,but I will agree that he is a lethal test bowler. The only avg series he had was in Eng, and even there some of his spells were very threatening

Indian cricket has a great talent in Ishant Sharma. He has bowled magnificently on this tour of Australia. I hope India nurture and groom him properly...he has a bright future if they do. What India badly needs to complete a competitive attack is a real speedster...someone who can blast through on dead pitches like Adelaide and that can rile the opposition batsmen on any pitch. The thing is, I know the talent is out there in India...they have got to get these youngsters into the game and system and nurture them. However, there appears to be no will to talent scout such prospects...MRF not withstanding. I am talking more grassroots than that. Anyway, here's hoping for a brighter future. Sharma is a big step forward. And Sreesanth is a good prospect too...but he needs to channel his aggression into his bowling instead of his antics.

Sreesanth is not a geniune quick - he does not have the fitness to sustain pace. In ODIs, he only bowls at over 140kph for the opening spell and after then, slows down. In Tests, he rarely bowls over 140kph, he is more in the 130kph area with only the quicker ball at 140kph. Just check the first two wickets in this clip. Sreesanth wickets.
3rd wicket was a slower delivery.
He has bowled magnificently on this tour of Australia. I hope India nurture and groom him properly...he has a bright future if they do. What India badly needs to complete a competitive attack is a real speedster...someone who can blast through on dead pitches like Adelaide and that can rile the opposition batsmen on any pitch. The thing is, I know the talent is out there in India...they have got to get these youngsters into the game and system and nurture them. However, there appears to be no will to talent scout such prospects...MRF not withstanding. I am talking more grassroots than that. .
It is all just a wishful thinking. Grooming and nurturing a pace-bowler in India?? Sorry, but there is no structure, no system and no one to do that, nor is anyone interested! Had they been interested, our bowlers wouldn't have been falling like nine pins, because non-stop cricket in meaningless ODIs killed them before an all important series!! Our selectors, and unfortunately there is no one else to look upto, don't believe in preserving their best resources for the best series. I'll be extremely glad if RPS is ruled out of the ODI series, so that he can get ample time to recover for the SA test series at home, and won't be rushed as he was in December. Hope,Ishant goes back without playing in ODI series as well, or else he won't be available to us in the next series. We just don't know how to differentiate between test and ODI bowlers.

That is what appears to be the case...the lack of proper interest and will to do and provide what is required. Too many ODI's and the need to make heaps of money seem to be more important. What effect is the IPL going to have? Anyone got any ideas how that is going to be operated and the recruiting policy? I don't know much about it.

It is all just a wishful thinking. Grooming and nurturing a pace-bowler in India?? Sorry, but there is no structure, no system and no one to do that, nor is anyone interested! Had they been interested, our bowlers wouldn't have been falling like nine pins, because non-stop cricket in meaningless ODIs killed them before an all important series!! Our selectors, and unfortunately there is no one else to look upto, don't believe in preserving their best resources for the best series. I'll be extremely glad if RPS is ruled out of the ODI series, so that he can get ample time to recover for the SA test series at home, and won't be rushed as he was in December. Hope,Ishant goes back without playing in ODI series as well, or else he won't be available to us in the next series. We just don't know how to differentiate between test and ODI bowlers.
The BCCI should start a facility to develop and groom/nurturing fast bowlers just like MRF pace foundation. Rope in greats like McGrath, Donald etc... they have the money, but the intention is lacking.
That is what appears to be the case...the lack of proper interest and will to do and provide what is required. Too many ODI's and the need to make heaps of money seem to be more important. What effect is the IPL going to have? Anyone got any ideas how that is going to be operated and the recruiting policy? I don't know much about it.
IPL is an unnecessary burden on our players. With the calendar year already packed, this will only lead to further fatigue.
I don't entirely agree. You need to have quality & inform spinners to field in' date=' if so, then I have no qualms about having more than 1 spinner in a game.[/quote'] IR, Dhondy is a great fan of pace bowling too and he is being highly sarcastic here. All pace bowlers fans, you might like reading this thread where we've discussed few things here.
Dont want to take anything away from our bowlers in Aus, but I strongly feel especially after watching the adelaide test, that some one like Sreesanth is a must in our team. Swing and seam are well and good if the pitch supports, otherwise taking 20 wickets in a test match will be extremely difficult.Some1 who avgs 142+ is a must, if nothing else atleast to keep the batsmen off the front foot.Maybe Ishant in a year or two could gain a few more yards in pace and become a genuinely quick bowler
I can tell by your avatar that you are fan of genuine pace bowling which is very good to see.:D ...and yes i agree that there is always a need for a "real" fast bowlers on flat tracks because if the pitch doesn't have anything for the bowlers then even a high class seam bowler like S Clark can look totally out of depth.
I can tell by your avatar that you are fan of genuine pace bowling which is very good to see.:D ...and yes i agree that there is always a need for a "real" fast bowlers on flat tracks because if the pitch doesn't have anything for the bowlers then even a high class seam bowler like S Clark can look totally out of depth.
Well ur right about that..i am big time fan of pace bowling. There is no better sight in the game than 150 kmh ball smashing into the middle stump:two_thumbs_up: