Is Kumble a "Greater" captain than Ganguly ?

Both Ganguly & Kumble are good captains. Both are great at man management and at getting the best out of their players. In this tour Kumble has shown what a great leader he would have been, had he succeeded Ganguly few years ago. Very few Indian captains would have been able to lift their teams from the doldrums of Sydney & pull off a win in the most unlikeliest place of all (Perth). Unlike Ganguly, Kumble hasnt let his own performances wane. If anything, he's only gotten better. He not only inspires the team with his wickets, but has also shown lot of guts with the bat. Reminds me of what Imran Khan did as a captain. I'd think Kumble is marginally ahead of Ganguly as a leader. But to his credit, Ganguly put Indian cricket on the roadmap. He took a chaotic team and made it a consistently winning combination. Kumble has taken a settled team to the next level. Defensive tendencies (safety first), selection blunders (Bhajji) etc are applicable to most captains. I wouldnt use that to judge an Indian captain.

]Kumble has been lucky in the sense that he had most of his senior batsman in decent form during his tenure' date= but more importantly, this has been arguably India's best ever bowling combination.
Yeah right , and Ganguly was very unlucky ? Let me refresh your memory , MM , the big 4 were in peak form under Ganguly's captaincy and much younger I must add. Like TGIB pointed , it was the spirit with which the players were playing under Kumble that must be commended.
Yeah right ' date=' and Ganguly was very unlucky ? Let me refresh your memory , MM , the big 4 were in peak form under Ganguly's captaincy and much younger I must add. Like TGIB pointed , it was the spirit with which the players were playing under Kumble that must be commended.[/quote'] I should have probably pointed out that it was under Ganguly in 2002-2004 that the Sachin/Dravid/Sehwag/Laxman were in their best form. That is why i used the word " Decent" and not "best" to describe their form under Kumble. But definitely, this is India's most potent bowling combination till now.
Ganguly definitely underachieved with the batting lineup he had at his disposal. Dravid and Kumble have won more with a declining batting.
Thats one area Ganguly sucked as captain. Ganguly's penchant for blind backing of players paid off in some cases & backfired in others. Ganguly simply refused to look beyond Zaheer, Nehra, Bhajji (and in later stages, Pathan, Balaji) as options. Only when an injury forced a pacer out, he'd make way for an youngster. In Dravid-Chappell's era we saw this policy change for good. Ever since then we've had a steady stream of fast bowlers not only making it to the squad, but also getting real games (Sreesanth, Munaf, RPS, Ishant, VRV etc). Some of the great overseas wins we've had in the last couple of years are attributable to these new fast bowlers.

This thread is promoted by Ganguly haters not because they love Kumble but because they hate Ganguly. Ganguly literally resurrected Indian Cricket from doldrums. I still remember switching TV off after match fixing broke-out and it was Ganguly and his brave leadership that pulled Indian fans back in front of TVs. Kumble has not done anything near to that.

Tactically Kumble is far better than Ganguly. And as others pointed out Ganguly was good at Man management, backing his players. I feel if not for Dalmiya, Kumble would have been captain a long time ago and would have done a better job than Ganguly. Unlike Ravishastri, who I thought would have made a good captain, it is good that we did not lose Kumble completely.

this thread is another disgraceful example of our countrymen undermining or not recognising how ganguly and john wright revolutionized indian cricket- there r idiots on here saying ganguly didnt win in WI, the question to that is b4 india was ass ****ed by aus 3-0 in 1999 and then 2-0 at home to SA, how many test matches did we win under people like azhar, kapil etc abroad, alomst nothin- it was ganguly's aggression and personality cos of which he made an indian team which always had good talent for years, but then converted that potential to performance the fact is all of india's success since 2000 upto now is cos of what ganguly did, a bit like what imran khan did for paki cricket everyone knows this deep down, just that some r too jealous of dada to ever give him that credit :finger:

and im not discounting kumbles ability as a captain' date=' just pathetic how people on here r trying to downplay ganguly's great achievements[/quote'] I don't see any post trying to rubbish Ganguly's achievements. Almost everyone who has posted on this thread has acknowledged him as a good man manager, some have questioned his tactical abilities on the field and some have pointed out that with such a strong batting lineup he should have won more. I don't see anything to go ballistic about.

prince40 .... Dont get too worked up ? Just answer this, who do you regard a good captain Allan Border or Mark Taylor.... The debate here is in the similar lines of the above ...And Kumbles availability when Gangs was made cappo throws spanners , but still is a valid debate.....

and im not discounting kumbles ability as a captain' date=' just pathetic how people on here r trying to downplay ganguly's great achievements[/quote'] yea right. the 281, 233, 270, etc all happened cause we had a brilliant leader sitting in the pavilion chewing his nails. and don't tell me the 281 happened cause the brilliant dada decided to promote someone to #3. if only winning a test after following-on was as simple as shuffling the batting order...
yea right. the 281' date=' 233, 270, etc all happened cause we had a brilliant leader sitting in the pavilion chewing his nails. and don't tell me the 281 happened cause the brilliant dada decided to promote someone to #3. if only winning a test after following-on was as simple as shuffling the batting order...[/quote'] lol yo yoda thats laughable these same folks with these scores were shitting in their pants on overseas tours b4 dada was captain- umm lets see what all did dravid and laxman do on the 99 aus tour :hysterical:
lol yo yoda thats laughable these same folks with these scores were shitting in their pants on overseas tours b4 dada was captain- umm lets see what all did dravid and laxman do on the 99 aus tour :hysterical:
Border-Gavaskar Trophy (Australia in India), 2000/01
	3 	106 	48 	17.66 	0 	1 	1/44 	65.00 	0 	4 	0 	27 Feb 2001 		India

Looks like the tiger was shitting in the den after teaching the cubs how to hunt. :D