Tips on buying Plasma TV

Desi Cartman

I dont know how the pricing goes in Australia but Panasonic is a good option I am not sure which models are available in Australia for Panasonic Is TH-42PX75U available there?
yes thats the one that I like too ! I am just confused about HD and Full HD etc ... what do i really need !

yes thats the one that I like too ! I am just confused about HD and Full HD etc ... what do i really need !
full HD pretty much means 1080p resolution ( which is a must to be future proof)..... so make sure whichever one you get it should be a 1080p also make sure you have enough HDMI connections-they are the connections you are gonna need to hook up ur HD dvd players and what not ! btw why plasma? LCD is a better option since they last a lot longer , but plasma does gove you a better and brighter picture !

What will you do with 1080p if no cable company is broadcasting in that? Only if you are buying a Blue Ray player you can get 1080p But for 42 inch screen hardly it makes any difference
Thanks for all your input Foxtel is HD for few channnels now and most of the free to air channels like 9, 7 and 10 are HD already. I am still confuused about the Full HD and just HD ... I dont think most of the channels will go full had for at least 5-6 years

Thanks for all your input Foxtel is HD for few channnels now and most of the free to air channels like 9, 7 and 10 are HD already. I am still confuused about the Full HD and just HD ... I dont think most of the channels will go full had for at least 5-6 years
yea those channel are 1080i at max. You may skip 1080p now Also just see the reviews of the tv before buying... electronics are very region specific

Plasma used to be hands down better than LCD a couple of yrs bak... now LCD Tvs are much better.... there are more companies making LCD TVs and using more sophisticated signal processing processors... if money is not a constraint, go for 1080p.... if money is, use tht money to buy 720p and an HD DVD player or blu-ray....

Plasma used to be hands down better than LCD a couple of yrs bak... now LCD Tvs are much better.... there are more companies making LCD TVs and using more sophisticated signal processing processors... if money is not a constraint, go for 1080p.... if money is, use tht money to buy 720p and an HD DVD player or blu-ray....
I need a new TV in small screen size range, perhaps 21"-24".....which brand/model you will suggest in this range. Our old BPL is giving trouble and planning for replacement with similiar, I will consider paying for an LCD if it's feasible and durability/longevity is assured. Plz note, I will be purchasing from India or at the most from a Gulf-country (say Dubai etc.) through friends. Btw..what's the cost of Sony-Bravia, is it available in 21"-24" size??...are LCD TVs repairable in India??

I need a new TV in small screen size range, perhaps 21"-24".....which brand/model you will suggest in this range. Our old BPL is giving trouble and planning for replacement with similiar, I will consider paying for an LCD if it's feasible and durability/longevity is assured. Plz note, I will be purchasing from India or at the most from a Gulf-country (say Dubai etc.) through friends. Btw..what's the cost of Sony-Bravia, is it available in 21"-24" size??...are LCD TVs repairable in India??
My friend owns a Sony showroom and told me that Sony Bravia in India are directly imported from Japan. For 26" inch LCD the price would be around 32k rupees

My friend owns a Sony showroom and told me that Sony Bravia in India are directly imported from Japan. For 26" inch LCD the price would be around 32k rupees
Apo, 32K is pretty low price for a Japanese make 26", Dubai duty free had more than 3k Dhs (approx 36K rupees) as starting price for Japanese make Bravia. I guess, it might be China/Malaysia/Thailand make. Where is your friends showroom? I will be interested if showroom is in Mumbai.

Apo, 32K is pretty low price for a Japanese make 26", Dubai duty free had more than 3k Dhs (approx 36K rupees) as starting price for Japanese make Bravia. I guess, it might be China/Malaysia/Thailand make. Where is your friends showroom? I will be interested if showroom is in Mumbai.
I just gave a rough price idea... But one thing for sure is that they are imported directly from Japan http://www.sony.co.in/product/klv-26v300a/sku/klv-26v300a%2Be32?site=hp_en_IN_i Sorry his showroom is very far from Mumbai

I just gave a rough price idea... But one thing for sure is that they are imported directly from Japan http://www.sony.co.in/product/klv-26v300a/sku/klv-26v300a%2Be32?site=hp_en_IN_i Sorry his showroom is very far from Mumbai
Thanks for the link Apo...it has good info.:two_thumbs_up: Still, they haven't specifically mentioned there as Japan made (I still doubt they will sell Japan make in India)...anyway, there are many dealer addresses for Mumbai region, including a few in Andheri area, so perhaps it's better to check physically in store to confirm about Country of Make. Thanks a lot.

if u r buying LCD, go for atleast 26"... for a 26", u dont have to go for the top of the line, cos u really wont be able to make out the difference in resolutions.... i dont know about brands in india, but in US, i would have suggested vizio or insignia...

Thanks for your inputs. I finally bought it on sat. Its a Panasonic 42 inch HD plasma TV for A$ 1440.. I rented some movies and hooked it up with the home theatre ... Its just awesome. One problem though , since all desi DVDs are poor quality the pic is not clear . Channel 9 showed 20-20 in HD with surround sound so I am waiting for the next game that will be HD with SS. http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=3834 i006368.jpg