Reasons: Shaun Tait to quit cricket at all levels

mhr123

Reasons: Shaun Tait to quit cricket at all levels  

1. 1.

• TEAM INDIA
    • POINTING'S TREATMENT (TO UNDER BOWL HIM)
    • BURN OUT
    • CAN'T SAY

What was the reason Behind Shaun Tait's quitting all forms of cricket. Was it media hype leading to hammering by Indian's or was it the treatment given by his captain , allowing his part time mediocre bowlers to bowl or burn out as suggested by Pointing. And further more according to latest reports : Shaun Tait will consult other sportsmen who have battled depression in a bid to rekindle his desire to play cricket again.

It of course is a sum total of many forces. But I would hold the captain more responsible here. The statements coming from all Aussie quarters on how Tait would destroy the Indians ended up looking like a part of an anti-Tait campaign. He probably did believe that he would kill the Indians with a fly swatter. Then what followed was too hot for him to handle. It is the responsibility of the captain and the coach to keep the players aware of the oppositions true abilities and offer a good gameplan for the bowlers. It is also their responsibility not to set such unrealistic targets that would destroy a player if he fails. Ponting and co painted a picture for Tait that turned out to be a complete illusion for him.

Since u had given only the 4 reasons, i chose ponting underbowling him. but i think the last straw was dropping him for adelaide test at his home ground where he had excellent performances over the years , in favour of Hogg, who had a very poor record in the series. i read some one comment in an aussie forum, " even i will retire if i am dropped in favour of hogg".:hysterical:

Since u had given only the 4 reasons, i chose ponting underbowling him. but i think the last straw was dropping him for adelaide test at his home ground where he had excellent performances over the years , in favour of Hogg, who had a very poor record in the series. i read some one comment in an aussie forum, " even i will retire if i am dropped in favour of hogg".:hysterical:
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
Hussey wants players to look after Tait Australia's players must take Shaun Tait under their wing to make sure he avoids any recurrence of the problems leading to his indefinite break from the game, according to Michael Hussey. Tait stepped down from all forms of cricket last week and Hussey, who remembered the severe pressures that led to his periods of self-doubt, said the modern demands on players had contributed to the decision. "It's very tough, a lot tougher than what people think," Hussey said. "What I've learned and experienced from international cricket, there's so much in the package. The actual playing of the game, which is hard enough in itself, is a very small part of the whole package of playing for Australia. "There are appearances, travel, media, sponsors, functions, appearances and training. There's so much time away from family and friends and they all have an impact. All the guys go through tough periods. One of strengths of the team is it looks out for each other and tries to pick the guys up." However, the Australians did not spot the warning signs around Tait and Hussey said it was important for the players to be there for the fast bowler when he comes back. "We didn't pick up too much [with Tait]," Hussey said. "He's a genuine character, a great bloke to have around and he was his usual self. "Deep down he was obviously battling pretty hard and going through a tough time. All the guys have been in touch and are hoping he can get through this. When he does come back a few guys will have to take him under their wing." Hussey's lowest playing point came when he was dropped for Western Australia and he thought his dream of representing his country "was a million miles away". Tait's struggles are a combination of recovering from a couple of serious injuries and being a fringe player around the national squad. "I've been through some very tough periods on and off the field," Hussey said. "It's part of life, you work your way through. Good support networks get you through, it's important to have good people around. I'm sure Shaun will come out stronger and a better person when he comes out the end of it." Tait's absence for the CB series has forced a restructure of the bowling line-up and the team did well to dismiss India for 194 at the Gabba on Sunday, with Brett Lee taking five wickets. Hussey said there were areas Australia needed to improve, including catching, after the wash-out. The home team was in a bit of trouble at 3 for 51 when the game was called off, although India's bowlers were able to exploit a damp surface under lights. "We're not quite where we'd like to be at the moment," he said, "but we're not far away." Matthew Hayden is expected to be fit for the match against Sri Lanka on Friday after missing the opening game with a thigh problem while Stuart Clark, who was absent for family reasons, will re-join the squad in Sydney. Ashley Noffke has made way for Clark's inclusion following a solid 1 for 46 on debut and the on-standby Adam Voges has returned to Perth. Peter English is the Australasia editor of Cricinfo © Cricinfo