Flintoff not interested in IPL

Feed

All-rounder Andrew Flintoff is set to return to action with the England Lions team on Tuesday after four months on the sidelines. More... All-rounder Andrew Flintoff is set to return to action with the England Lions on Tuesday having not played a competitive match for four months. The Lancashire player, who has been recovering from an operation on an ankle problem, will play in three games for England's second team in India. _44433511_flintoffap203.jpg The 30-year-old will be used only as a batsman and fielder, having not bowled since undergoing surgery. Flintoff last played for England in the World Twenty20 event in September. England's one-day captain Paul Collingwood is hoping Flintoff's rehabilitation runs smoothly so that he can make a return to the senior England squad. "What you're hoping for is a 100% fit Andrew Flintoff because we all know what he can do on the park and we all want him back," said the Durham player. "But we want to make sure he's ready and raring to go and feeling no pain, and we're keeping our fingers crossed that he's going to be like that."

Flintoff makes it through 50 overs as Carberry's century duty paces England to tense triumph Michael Carberry enhanced his fast-growing reputation with another century to set up England Lions' tense three-wicket win over a Mumbai XI237561875More... Last updated at 13:36pm on 19th February 2008 Flintoff1902_228x331.jpg Flintoff: Took catch at second slip but failed to make an impact with the bat Michael Carberry enhanced his fast-growing reputation with another century to set up England Lions' tense three-wicket win over a Mumbai XI. The left-hander hit a fine 103 as the tourists went some way to making amends for their Duleep Trophy exit with victory in the first of three hastily-arranged one-day matches. The game at the Brabourne Stadium also marked Andrew Flintoff's return to action after five months out with ankle trouble. Though he failed with the bat and did not bowl, the all-rounder took a catch at second slip and suffered no adverse reaction to 50 overs in the field on his first appearance since England's clash with India in the ICC Twenty20 last September. Carberry's hundred - his second of a tour which has also seen him make 91 in the opening warm-up game and 112 against Central Zone - was the centrepiece of the Lions' successful pursuit of 269. There were also useful contributions from James Hildreth and Adil Rashid, but it needed a six from Liam Plunkett off the penultimate ball of the match to ease the nerves in the Lions dressing room. Earlier, Alan Richardson took three wickets to help restrict the hosts to 268 for eight. ECB performance director David Parsons, who is leading the Lions tour, told ecb.co.uk: "It was quite tense in the end - we left it until the last minute. "There was a time when we seemed to be going along quite nicely, but they pegged us back in the middle of the innings, so we're really pleased to have won."

Flintoff not interested in IPL Andrew Flintoff, the England allrounder who made his long-awaited return yesterday when he played for England Lions in India, has said the Indian Premier League does not overly concern him in spite of the tempting money being offered. More... 'Lancashire and the ECB have looked after me well' Flintoff not interested in IPL Cricinfo staff February 20, 2008 337904.jpg Andrew Flintoff made his comeback for England Lions yesterday © Getty Images Andrew Flintoff, the England allrounder who made his long-awaited return yesterday when he played for England Lions in India, has said the Indian Premier League does not overly concern him in spite of the tempting money being offered. Indian franchises are today bidding extraordinary sums of money for the world's elite. Jacques Kallis was bought by Bangalore for US$900,000; Mahendra Singh Dhoni cost Chennai US$1.5m but, as yet, no England player has joined the IPL, though high-profile figures such as Flintoff are expected to attract plenty of interest. "It's not an option for the English players since we tour during the winter and play county cricket during the summer," Flintoff said. "Lancashire and the ECB have looked after me well and my concern is to get on the field for them." Flintoff's comments follow those of his England colleague, Alastair Cook, who said yesterday: "We have so much cricket for England that we can't go off and play there too. We're very well looked after and I can't see why you'd trade in the three lions for anything." Flintoff, though, is still making his tentative first steps back into action having spent five months on the sidelines with an ankle injury. He returned yesterday, making 4 in England Lions' three-wicket win over Mumbai, but has yet to fully test his ankle by bowling - something that he won't do until he is under full supervision back at Old Trafford. "I have not been able to play competitive cricket and playing with pain has affected my batting," he said. "I want to try and discover some form in the nets and in few other areas. "People bowl around the world and get injured. The pressure that goes to my ankle at the time of the delivery is 10-12 times my body weight and I am also a big fellow. But it's unfortunate not being a part of the squad [in New Zealand]. "I am an allrounder and I want to get fully fit to fit into that role," he said. "But now I want to come back. I don't want to bowl at 70 or 80 mph but want to touch the 90 mark. I am just 30 years old and have a long way ahead."