The Mumbai Khadoosness

Shehezaada

What is the mumbai culture like? What is khadhoosness and how can it be exemplified?
For starters you will have to understand that khadoos is NOT A COMPLIMENT. You shall never hear a Mom call her son a khadoos, or a girl her boyfriend that way. The literal meaning of the world is a grumpy old mean man, akin to the Parsi Bawaji landlords of yore in Mumbai who would chase the kids with stick. Indeed most of the time when you hear the word khadoos it would be followed/preceded by buddha(old man) as in budha khadoos or khadoos budha. I have a feeling that the word was used to describe Mumbai cricket not by its cricketer but the opposition who often struggled to put past them. In that sense you can take it as a compliment. So what does the word entail in cricket parlance? Well I would say it is a combination of attributes. Play hard no quarters given none asked but more importantly, perhaps most importantly, always be safe than sorry. In other words grind the opposition down instead of being aggressive. Make sure you dont lose a game before you go for the kill(victory). If I had to put an example that would sum up the khadoos culture it would be Ravi Shastri's performance in the Chennai Tied Test. In the second innings Shastri had played a wonderful innings and had brought India close to victory. Needing 3 to win Shastri chose to take 2, thus ensuring India didnt lose the game. In the process he exposed Maninder to Greg Mathews. The rest of course is history. However the point being he could have chosen to be the hero, but he chose safety first, made sure Aussies were out of the game(as far as win was concerned) and then push the game from thereon. Alas that wasnt to be the case. How can you make your team khadoos? Well you cant. I mean it is the opposition who will have to think of your team as khadoos. And the way you can do it is to tire them, never letting the foot off the pedal, not taking un-neccessary risk and settle for draw first. Again that may not seem like the most inviting preposition but like I said the word khadoos is not a compliment in the first place. xxxx
yes...are you part of Sher E punjab EDCL?
No, I just play with a bunch of guys on the weekends. I am probably past my prime. I was, perhaps still am a good bowler. I have tremendously improved my batting though. Maybe it just seems to me, because I practice my strokes in slow motion and they look pretty good:D
For starters you will have to understand that khadoos is NOT A COMPLIMENT. You shall never hear a Mom call her son a khadoos' date= or a girl her boyfriend that way. The literal meaning of the world is a grumpy old mean man, akin to the Parsi Bawaji landlords of yore in Mumbai who would chase the kids with stick. Indeed most of the time when you hear the word khadoos it would be followed/preceded by buddha(old man) as in budha khadoos or khadoos budha. I have a feeling that the word was used to describe Mumbai cricket not by its cricketer but the opposition who often struggled to put past them. In that sense you can take it as a compliment. So what does the word entail in cricket parlance? Well I would say it is a combination of attributes. Play hard no quarters given none asked but more importantly, perhaps most importantly, always be safe than sorry. In other words grind the opposition down instead of being aggressive. Make sure you dont lose a game before you go for the kill(victory). If I had to put an example that would sum up the khadoos culture it would be Ravi Shastri's performance in the Chennai Tied Test. In the second innings Shastri had played a wonderful innings and had brought India close to victory. Needing 3 to win Shastri chose to take 2, thus ensuring India didnt lose the game. In the process he exposed Maninder to Greg Mathews. The rest of course is history. However the point being he could have chosen to be the hero, but he chose safety first, made sure Aussies were out of the game(as far as win was concerned) and then push the game from thereon. Alas that wasnt to be the case. How can you make your team khadoos? Well you cant. I mean it is the opposition who will have to think of your team as khadoos. And the way you can do it is to tire them, never letting the foot off the pedal, not taking un-neccessary risk and settle for draw first. Again that may not seem like the most inviting preposition but like I said the word khadoos is not a compliment in the first place. xxxx
good post, thx for explaining :two_thumbs_up: