What's the deal with burning effigees?

I ask this in the absolute interest of curiosity' date=' why on earth would someone burn an effigee of a hated cricket player, is this a minority group taking it's fanaticism to far?[/quote'] Earlier, effigy was burnt to show one's protest about some matter. But these days, desperate to make news out of thin air, media has stepped into this and "makes" few people burn effigies of cricketers, actors, ministers so that they get atleast something to report about. It is not much different from the desperate attempt of Australian media to drag Harbhajan into an imaginary offence so that they get to fuel the already burning hatred of Australian cricket fans for the man!
Bloody hell! That's rocket fuel! I think I've found the answer as to why you guys burn effigies! I'm surprised more of you don't streak too!:haha:
Even the taste is very different. Once used to Indian beer its very difficult to get used to other stuff. Ah the good old college days. Wat's the worst tasting beer you guys have ever had? Kalyani Black Label for me.
I ask this in the absolute interest of curiosity, why on earth would someone burn an effigee of a hated cricket player, is this a minority group taking it's fanaticism to far?
Sort of like Guy Fawkes day I suppose. The villain of the piece is set aflame. I don't care for these kind of expressions of frustration related to sports.
Thunder 12-13% Most other beers are 7-9% and come in bottles the same size as a wine bottle.
I think you mean Thunderbolt. And yes...good kick...but Cobra is a much better beer...
Guest HariSampath
If you guys started exporting that stuff to Australia you would never have to worry about playing us at cricket ever again... we'd all be in a state of perpetual pissedness and wouldn't be able to pick up a cricket bat.
You can get smashed on drinking even normal Indian beer, say a half a dozen bottles :D Most folks who drink in India ( serious drinkers) would down 3-4 drinks of brandy/rum in no time, and here the working class people drink real hard with just a touch of water in their drinks :haha:
Guest HariSampath
Even the taste is very different. Once used to Indian beer its very difficult to get used to other stuff. Ah the good old college days. Wat's the worst tasting beer you guys have ever had? Kalyani Black Label for me.
Lol...the strong one down south would be Bullet I think, although Kingfisher does have some good beer as well as Haywards. I dont think kalyani is too bad, but in college/leters I had so gotten used to these brands, I found it tough that I was stuck with Bud for years in US and although I love a Bud, nothing comes close to Indian beer
..effigy is big business in India, there are all kinda models available. So if you ever want to vent out your frustration, one can goto a local effigy dealer and get a pre selected model or customize it Some people depend on this income
Now, if you're a collector, you can really go in for the talking effigies after this series. We've got Ponting, with the "how dare you question my integrity" effigy and Symonds with the "I've got witnesses now, mate" effigy. But the one that's really pricey is the Clarke effigy which can hear from as far as a mile away.

Australian wine is a success story, here in US. Nothing like Italian or French ones, but still a better alternative than the Napa valley crap we get. Outback steak house is another aussie hit, just like forster's. On topic, effigies are burnt to show protest without causing harmful violence on the protestee. These days, protests and effigy burning are done only to get your name on the newspaper. People trying to gain mileage, youth political party leaders who wants to get some prominence in their political base use it for their purpose. Only the local and foreign (for its' weirdness quotient) media care about it, the local people will ignore it just like a roadside cheap circus show.

Now, if you're a collector, you can really go in for the talking effigies after this series. We've got Ponting, with the "how dare you question my integrity" effigy and Symonds with the "I've got witnesses now, mate" effigy. But the one that's really pricey is the Clarke effigy which can hear from as far as a mile away.
Hahaha.... I love it!:two_thumbs_up: There's a liqour store not far from me which sells an incredible range of imported beers. I'll check it out and see if they stock any of the Indian varieties mentioned above. I'm always up for something different.
Hahaha.... I love it!:two_thumbs_up: There's a liqour store not far from me which sells an incredible range of imported beers. I'll check it out and see if they stock any of the Indian varieties mentioned above. I'm always up for something different.
Its easy to find "kingfisher" in most bottle shops and some restaurants also serve "Hayward's" :two_thumbs_up: