Moving on-South Africa test series squad

Feed

Guest Hiten.

South Africa Squad (Tests in India) ....just saw it on Neo Sports Gibbs, Nel emitted Peterson, Paul harris, Charl Langdevedlt - surprise selection JP Duminy - Most surprising selection

No Andre Nel ? :haha: I dont exactly remember who, but I remember someone on the board calling Nel " The best bowler to have on flat unresponsive pitches" and I remember nodding my head in agreement. P.S - I think it was the Doc.

blue brigade...i havent watched much of duminy...can u elaborate ur stmt - why is he the most surprizing...

"JP Duminy - Most surprising selection"
notes from cricinfo (i havent really watched this duminy character) A slightly built stylish top-order left-hand batsman, Jean-Paul Duminy was rewarded for his consistent domestic performances with a place in the Test and one-day squads for South Africa's tour to Sri Lanka in 2004. Better known as JP, he broke into a strong Western Province side during the 2001-02 domestic season. Just 20 years of age, his potential was always evident and came to the fore in the South African Under-19 tour to England in 2003. Coming in when his side hadn't avoided the follow-on in the second match, he stroked a fine 116 under pressure. In the 2003-04 domestic season, he displayed maturity beyond his age, scoring two first-class centuries as well as three fifties and finished with an average of 72.57. No slouch when it comes to the shorter format of the game, he ended up with an average of 69.5. His part-time offbreaks have also come in handy. Duminy made his one-day debut during South Africa's tour of Sri Lanka in 2004 and played five one-day matches, with little success. Two years later, he was recalled to the national squad a three-match contest against Zimbabwe at home but struggled to nail down a full-time slot. However, a place in the Twenty20 World Championship squad shows he remains part of the long-term plans.

I cant wait for this series to start. Its gonna be one of the most riveting series in recent times. One thing's for sure though. This man will HAVE to perform. 040011.jpg Another mediocre series and there will be some serious questions that will be raised.

Guest Hiten.
blue brigade...i havent watched much of duminy...can u elaborate ur stmt - why is he the most surprizing...
Well, I think its the most surprising selection because he is about to make Test debut in India. They chose JP duminy to get 'extra batsman' ahead of gibbs. I am not too familiar with JP's technique and elegance, but it surely is risky to select someone who is making his debut ahead of 'miss-or-hit' player, i.e. Gibbs

JP was one of the highest run makers against westindies at home...and gibbs failed again in that so thats the reason behind this selection i guess...and JP has some serious techniques and good shots...let see how he survives against the indian PACE ATTACK...

JP was one of the highest run makers against westindies at home...and gibbs failed again in that so thats the reason behind this selection i guess...and JP has some serious techniques and good shots...let see how he survives against the indian PACE ATTACK...
did he play against Bangers ? if so then how did he go
Guest Hiten.
did he play against Bangers ? if so then how did he go
He was picked for the 1st ODI ( he didn't get a chance to bat, as SA cruised to 9 wickets win). Lets see how he flares in 2nd ODI

South Africa make two changes to attack vs India South Africa have made two changes to their attack for the three-Test series in India, the selectors announced on Tuesday. More... South Africa make two changes to attack vs India REUTERS JOHANNESBURG, March 12: South Africa have made two changes to their attack for the three-Test series in India, the selectors announced on Tuesday. Swing bowler Charl Langeveldt, who has played six Tests, replaces Andre Nel a veteran of 34 Tests, while slow left-armer Paul Harris returns after missing the two Tests in Bangladesh because of minor surgery. Fellow left-armer Robin Peterson, who took his first five-wicket haul against Bangladesh in Chittagong, retains his place ahead of off-spinner Johan Botha and will be back-up to Harris. The 14-man squad includes six non-white players thanks to the inclusion of Peterson and Langeveldt but convenor of selectors Joubert Strydom was unavailable to comment on whether the selectors' original choices had been approved by Cricket South Africa (CSA) president Norman Arendse. South African cricket was mired in controversy last month when Arendse refused to approve the squad originally chosen for the Bangladesh tour, which included only four black players before Peterson replaced Harris upon his late withdrawal. That squad was eventually announced by CSA chief executive Gerald Majola, leading to conflict between him and Arendse. This was resolved only when a CSA extraordinary general council meeting called on the two officials to resolve their differences and work out a strategy together to make the South African team more racially representative. South Africa will play tests in Chennai, Ahmedabad and Kanpur on their Indian tour which starts on March 26. Squad: Graeme Smith, Ashwell Prince, Hashim Amla, Mark Boucher, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Paul Harris, Jacques Kallis, Charl Langeveldt, Neil McKenzie, Morne Morkel, Makhaya Ntini, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn.

Zaheer needs time to regain full fitness - Prasad Zaheer Khan, India's left-arm fast bowler, will take time to regain full fitness according to Venkatesh Prasad, the bowling coach. More... India's injury woes Zaheer needs time to regain full fitness - Prasad Cricinfo staff March 12, 2008 304471.jpgZaheer Khan could take some time to recover from his heel injury © Getty Images Zaheer Khan, India's left-arm fast bowler, will take time to regain full fitness according to Venkatesh Prasad, the bowling coach. "I have been talking to him (Zaheer)," Prasad said. "As far as I am concerned, when you get a break, you have to work that much harder to get back into rhythm. He is working hard on fitness and bowling. It will take time." Prasad also said that Anil , the Test captain, and Gary Kirsten, the newly appointed coach, will take a decision on whether Zaheer needs to be a part of the team for the first two Tests against South Africa starting March 26. Zaheer dropped out of the team after the first Test against Australia last year with an ankle injury, and has since visited the Centre for Sports Medicine in Johannesburg for rehabilitation. "When you are coming back after injury, you need to be slightly cautious as to how you are going to push," Prasad said. "Zaheer is working hard on his fitness and slowly raising the load factor and am sure he will be fit for the Test matches." Prasad also confirmed that he had formally signed on as coach with IPL's Bangalore Royal Challengers and said that he had not heard from the BCCI in this regard. "I have no communication with board about this (IPL). I personally feel it should be OK." The Indian Board had earlier told Cricinfo that they were yet to take a decision on allowing the Indian coaching staff to tie up with IPL teams, fearing a clash of interests. Prasad was speaking to reporters along with Bangalore's IPL captain Rahul Dravid and their Chief Cricket Officer Martin Crowe hours before the Royal Challengers officially launched their team. While Crowe said Dravid would "reignite the great skills he has got in Test cricket in Twenty20", the former India skipper said he was excited about "the chance to share a dressing room with international stars like Jacques Kallis". "We are very conscious of the fact that they are going to come at the last minute because of international commitments," Dravid said. "It is going to require some interesting moments. We are conscious of that fact that we wanted to pick people who will believe in the concept of a team, who gel well. We had a chance to interact with some of the players we picked, and all are excited to be part of it." Among Bangalore Royal Challengers' overseas signings are Jacques Kallis, Mark Boucher, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Cameron White and Misbah-ul-Haq.

Nel considers quitting over quota selection Cricket South Africa's transformation policy has once again cast its shadow over the national team with reports emerging that Andre Nel is contemplating leaving internation cricket after being left out of the India-bound Test squad. More... Cricket South Africa's transformation policy Nel considers quitting over quota selection Cricinfo staff March 12, 2008 342134.jpg Andre Nel was devastated following his omission from the Test squad for the tour to India © Getty Images Cricket South Africa's transformation policy has once again cast its shadow over the national team with reports emerging that Andre Nel is contemplating leaving international cricket after being left out of the India-bound Test squad. "Andre has not made any decision on his future yet," Michael-Owen Smith, the South African media manager, told Cricinfo. "He's a contracted player till April. We have not been notified of anything." Nel was replaced by Charl Langeveldt as per Cricket South Africa's transformation policy according to which there should be at least seven players of colour in a 15-man squad. Nel was so devastated upon hearing of his omission that the team management considered leaving him out of the second ODI against Bangaldesh in Mirpur today. "He didn't refuse to play as it's being wrongly reported," Smith said. "He was chosen in the XI last evening before the squad announcement was made subsequently. He was obviously down on hearing the news and the team were very concerned. They left it to him to take a final call and, after consideration, he said he would play. He's a very responsible player and showed what it means to him today." Nel ended up taking four wickets, including two in his first two overs, a performance that won him the Man-of-the-Match award. However he didn't make an appearance at the post-match press conference, not wanting to discuss his omission. "He had endured a very emotional 24 hours and he didn't want to speak to anyone later," Smith said. "It's understandable and he didn't attend the media briefing after the day." Mickey Arthur, South Africa's coach, was reported as saying that he had to persuade Nel to play the match. "His axing from the squad was devastating for him," Arthur told Cape Argus. "I had to talk him through the process and told him how important it was for him to take the field [against Bangladesh on Wednesday]. And though still very upset, he eventually agreed to play." A row had erupted between Arthur and CSA president Norman Arendse over the Test team originally selected for the Bangladesh tour. The naming of the squad was subsequently delayed, but despite CSA's reaffirmation of its transformation policy, the squad finally chosen didn't meet the required targets. Nel has not toured India before and has taken eight wickets in his four Tests in the subcontinent.

Zaheer pulls out of SA Test series Zaheer Khan has ruled himself out of the three-test series as he feels he is not ready for Int'l cricket, reports G Krishnan. More... Zaheer pulls out of SA Test series G Krishnan, Hindustan Times Bangalore, March 13, 2008 First Published: 01:34 IST(13/3/2008) Last Updated: 01:54 IST(13/3/2008) Zaheer Khan has ruled himself out of the three-Test series against South Africa starting March 26. "I still feel I am not ready for international cricket. I have just started bowling a week back and have been advised by doctors not to push myself too much," said the left-arm seamer here on Wednesday. "I definitely want to play a few domestic matches before being ready. I want to be 120% fit and not just 100 percent," he said. The 29-year-old aggravated an ankle injury after the first Test on the recent tour of Australia and consulted a Johannesburg-based doctor on his rehabilitation. Zaheer hoped to be fit in time for the Indian Premier League beginning on April 18, in which he has been contracted to play for Bangalore Royal Challengers. The Indian Test squad is to be chosen on March 17 here. "One of the main reasons I am not ready for Tests is you have to bowl a minimum of 35 overs over five days," Zaheer said. "If I can play a few one-day matches or some club game, it will be good for me to judge where I stand. The progress is good so far, but I don't want to come to any conclusion now. I want to see how I pull up.”