Minnows in world cup...one too many?

yoda

Re: Minnows in world cup...one too many? But then Ravi, these small teams wont get chance to ever play against Test Playing Nations. In every sporting event, say soccer WC for instance, there are minnows too who get eliminated in the early rounds if they dont perform well. Plus the cricket WC has super 8 format so there is no chance of worrying that matches in Super 8 will be less exciting. my 2 cents

Re: Minnows in world cup...one too many? Do you reckon they deserve to? The lesser team will struggle to beat the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe to be honest. I don't mind if Kenya, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe are put in the priliminary group alongside the minnows. Any of the top two teams from that group can go on isn't it? Won't that make for better competetion at the world stage? Imagine Australia vs Ireland or Holland. Does it serve any purpose for the lesser teams in getting thrashed black and blue? All it'll do is dent the confidence of their players.

Re: Minnows in world cup...one too many?

But then Ravi, these small teams wont get chance to ever play against Test Playing Nations. In every sporting event, say soccer WC for instance, there are minnows too who get eliminated in the early rounds if they dont perform well. Plus the cricket WC has super 8 format so there is no chance of worrying that matches in Super 8 will be less exciting. my 2 cents
there are regional quals which eliminate minnows in soccer prior to the wc. ever wondered why india doesn't figure in world cup soccer?

But then Ravi, these small teams wont get chance to ever play against Test Playing Nations. In every sporting event, say soccer WC for instance, there are minnows too who get eliminated in the early rounds if they dont perform well. Plus the cricket WC has super 8 format so there is no chance of worrying that matches in Super 8 will be less exciting. my 2 cents
there are regional quals which eliminate minnows in soccer prior to the wc. ever wondered why india doesn't figure in world cup soccer?
I dint mean to argue but then u shud not allow even Germany vs Saudi Arabia match in WC Saudi tops Asia groups in which there is India

Re: Minnows in world cup...one too many? >ever wondered why india doesn't figure in world cup soccer? ever wondered why China doesnt figure in cricket world cup?? ICC has a qualifying tournament all around the world...that includes all associate members. So this minnows are infact top amongst Associate nations..they have qualified for this.

Do you reckon they deserve to? The lesser team will struggle to beat the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe to be honest. I don't mind if Kenya' date=' Bangladesh, Zimbabwe are put in the priliminary group alongside the minnows. Any of the top two teams from that group can go on isn't it? Won't that make for better competetion at the world stage? Imagine Australia vs Ireland or Holland. Does it serve any purpose for the lesser teams in getting thrashed black and blue? All it'll do is dent the confidence of their players.[/quote'] Its a ODI game. I know they have chance out of nowhere to bring upsets but then they will realize what is lacking in their team. Merely playing again and again with teams like Bangladesh and Kenya would not bring anything good to Scotland or Ireland. Plus they are playing Aussies or any other only once in 4 yrs not every other series or so. I know these matches are boring but not every match in a WC can be interesting.

I dint mean to argue but then u shud not allow even Germany vs Saudi Arabia match in WC Saudi tops Asia groups in which there is India
It is ok to have teams all of which aren't of the same quality. Just that your entire first round shouldn't involve 4 teams 2 of which are bonafide minnows with the other 2 near certain to go to the next round. We essentially have to treat the first round as the qualifying round.

>ever wondered why india doesn't figure in world cup soccer? ever wondered why China doesnt figure in cricket world cup?? ICC has a qualifying tournament all around the world...that includes all associate members. So this minnows are infact top amongst Associate nations..they have qualified for this.
that is a good point.

Re: Minnows in world cup...one too many? The captain knows...

Dravid supports minnow participation AFP March 7, 2007 Rahul Dravid wants the ICC to provide the minnow countries with facilities, training, and games to help them improve their standard ? AFP Rahul Dravid, the Indian captain, has said that minnows should be playing in the World Cup despite India's demolition of Netherlands by 182 runs in the warm-up game at the Trelawny Stadium in Jamaica on Tuesday. Dravid said the ICC Associate nations, who don't play Tests, add a lot of character and charm to the event, and they must be rewarded for spreading the game in their countries. "I think you have to encourage them to play, and having myself played a season in Scotland, I know the difficulties the associate nations and their players go through to play this game," said Dravid. "What's the incentive for them to play the game with such hardships? Many of the players are amateurs, and take time off from work to play the game and keep it alive in their countries, so I think the International Cricket Council has to do a lot to help them, and not just give them opportunities in tournaments like this. "The ICC has to identify four or five nations outside of the top eight or nine, and ensure that they can get them up to a standard and provide them with the facilities, training, and games to ensure that they are - at least - semi-professional which will help them improve their standard." Luuk van Troost, the Netherlands captain, was glad for Dravid's support. "Everybody knows where Sri Lanka cricket was about 20 or so years ago, but look at where they are today," said van Troost. "This is our goal. We are putting a lot of time and energy into it, and we are looking at raising our game each and every time we take the field. "We deserve to be here. We worked hard, we qualified, and I am sure that we will show in the rest of the tournament that we have a right to be here. We were just a bit nervous in this match. "All of the associate teams participated in the ICC High Performance programme, and we had the World Cricket League tournament a few weeks ago in Kenya, and the standard was pretty high," said van Troost. "I am going to predict that one of the Associate teams will upset one of Test-playing nations, and when it happens, it will be fantastic and proof that we should be here, but I will be waiting to hear what people will say then."

Re: Minnows in world cup...one too many? yes there are 4 minnows too many. i would have preferred a 12 team WC. how did the likes of Ireland, Bermuda etc earn their place in the WC? Bangla and Zim are fixed, that is ok. i would have maybe two more - Kenya and Canada/Scotland. i can see where ppl are coming from when you say they need the exposure, but to have 8 teams out of 16 not likely to win even one match is nuts! the first 2 weeks of the WC will be skipped by most of the viewers save for the odd Aus vs SA or Pak vs WI. That being said, i think we can look forward to at least 1 upset, out of the scores of Test team v minnow matches. Look to the England, Kenya, Canada, NZ group. that is where it is most likely to happen.

Rahul Dravid supports minnow participation World Cup 2007 Dravid supports minnow participation AFP March 7, 2007 Rahul Dravid wants the ICC to provide the minnow countries with facilities, training, and games to help them improve their standard ? AFP Rahul Dravid, the Indian captain, has said that minnows should be playing in the World Cup despite India's demolition of Netherlands by 182 runs in the warm-up game at the Trelawny Stadium in Jamaica on Tuesday. Dravid said the ICC Associate nations, who don't play Tests, add a lot of character and charm to the event, and they must be rewarded for spreading the game in their countries. "I think you have to encourage them to play, and having myself played a season in Scotland, I know the difficulties the associate nations and their players go through to play this game," said Dravid. "What's the incentive for them to play the game with such hardships? Many of the players are amateurs, and take time off from work to play the game and keep it alive in their countries, so I think the International Cricket Council has to do a lot to help them, and not just give them opportunities in tournaments like this. "The ICC has to identify four or five nations outside of the top eight or nine, and ensure that they can get them up to a standard and provide them with the facilities, training, and games to ensure that they are - at least - semi-professional which will help them improve their standard." Luuk van Troost, the Netherlands captain, was glad for Dravid's support. "Everybody knows where Sri Lanka cricket was about 20 or so years ago, but look at where they are today," said van Troost. "This is our goal. We are putting a lot of time and energy into it, and we are looking at raising our game each and every time we take the field. "We deserve to be here. We worked hard, we qualified, and I am sure that we will show in the rest of the tournament that we have a right to be here. We were just a bit nervous in this match. "All of the associate teams participated in the ICC High Performance programme, and we had the World Cricket League tournament a few weeks ago in Kenya, and the standard was pretty high," said van Troost. "I am going to predict that one of the Associate teams will upset one of Test-playing nations, and when it happens, it will be fantastic and proof that we should be here, but I will be waiting to hear what people will say then."

Re: Minnows in world cup...one too many? The format in the 2003 Cup was better... 2 divisions...made for more meaningful matches...even against the Minnows... and Kenya did slip through to the super six and even the semi-finals... here unless there is some HUGE upset... the first rounds are a FARCE...

Re: Minnows in world cup...one too many? I agree there are too many. But dont agree that minnows should not play the world cup. SL & Zim were minnows in the early 90s. They did improve significantly in the late 90s. BD is still a minnow, but they do upset a big team once in a while. Why do these minnows only play the world cup ? They must play the big teams more regularly if they wanna improve. BD is classic example. Sheer no. of games against big teams, have made them better

Re: Minnows in world cup...one too many? I second tikolo's commentz about Kenya not being given good oppositions to play against... frankly, Kenya was much better side then Bangladesh before, but the way Bd was given test status and stuff, kenya were never treated fairly...