One current Australian I admire..

veer

is Mr. Brett Lee.. the guy carries himself extra-ordinarily considering idiot team mates that he has around him.. he sledges a bit but within limit... ultimate fast bowler - fielder.. I rate him higher than akram cuz he stays fit for long n doesnt go off the field after bowling his quota. he does things with smile on.. doesnt look fake.. he was one guy who I enjoyed seeing bowl against top batters.. Him against SRT, VVS, Dravid in tests was mouth-watering battle.. :two_thumbs_up:

Agree desi_downunder, thanks for bringing some perspective to this. Too much crap has been heaped upon Australia for the actions of a few. As a long-time Aussie fan, I'm quite disgusted by Michael Clarke's actions at points this summer. Symonds and Hayden have also behaved like boors at points, but the likes of Lee, Stuart Clark, Mike Hussey, Phil Jaques and Johnson have all played hard, turned in plenty of effort and some fine performances and behaved like very respectable cricketers on the field. It's a shame that that sort of behaviour, and the conduct shown by Tendulkar, Dravid, VVS, Kumble, Sehwag and co. has been overshadowed by the antics of a small number.

I meant Stuart Clark .. yes Clarke is an idiot .. but he has never seen his side loose .. so I think he will learn to respect soon !
S. Clark is new.. not an established player yet.. It would be stupid to be arrogant..

Lee worked out that being "friendly" with India would earn him more $ even before he became a top class bowler. Even when he was the 3rd tier bowler for Aus, he was reaping more $ than any other Aussies, simply by portraying himself as a India-phile. Not that there is anything wrong with how one conducts himself with a certain country, but unless he is like this with all countries, it is difficult to ascertain that his on/off field behavior is genuine and not $ oriented.

Huge understatement. To even compare Lee with Akram (beyond ODIs) is ridiculous.
yeah agree.. Akram is arguably one of the 3 best fast bowlers in history (along with McGrath and Ambrose) Lee is probably the best fast bowler in the world at the moment, but he has only been a permanent test player for Aus in the last 2 years and needs to keep up this form for many years before he is in the league of Akram, Mcgrath and Ambrose.

And the original recipient of the YOU ARE A W@NKER chant, if I remember rightly. :D Was just watching a DVD with his 15 wicket haul in Briz in 85 yesterday. Truly amazing stuff. I'd definitely have him in my list of top 4/5 bowlers in history - probably not the top 3 though, Marshall also comes ahead of him (as do Ambrose and the great Pidge).

I like Lee. Even if he hurled a painful beamer at Sachin when the latter was on 98 in the 1st final of this CB series, I was giving him the benefit of doubt. I never thought that it could be intentional. Hussey is also good and Clark (S Clark) also looks genuine and doesn't sledge. Can't say anything about others apart from Ponting, Symmo, Hayden and Pup being disgraceful!

I like Lee. Even if he hurled a painful beamer at Sachin when the latter was on 98 in the 1st final of this CB series' date=' I was giving him the benefit of doubt. I never thought that it could be intentional.[/quote'] Fully agree with you. Lee is the most dignified Australian Cricketer currently. That beamer was a genuine mistake and he was man enough to admit it apologize immediately. He respects Tendulkar in the real sense and would not overstep his limits to challenge him. Lee is the most aggressive of all Australian players and yet choses to limit his aggression to his game only.Thats true sportsman spirit. He was bowling spectacularly well through out, didnt meet enough success, but still did not resort to the cheap tricks the Aussies are known for.

Not all Aussie players are unlikable. Haydos, Symo, Ponting and M Clarke are pricks. The rest are good natured and well respected cricketers. J Gillespie was a fantastic bowler and a great bloke. Unfortunately the bad ones are always in circulation and make the entire team look bad.

Yes I agree they have some great players who are also great guys as well, who conduct themselves by and large in a great manner. Lee, S Clark, Hussey, M Johnson and Gilly stand out as likeable. Especially when surrounded by those lunatics they come out with a lot of credit! Like I said in a thread I started Lee should be aussie captain, he will bring some respect and honour back to aussie cricket!