The next generation of spin bowlers

DomainK

After Anil Kumble and Murali retire, where will spin bowling head? We had the Indian trio - Prasanna, Bedi, Chandrashekhar rocking world cricket for a long time along with greats like Jim Laker. Pakistan produced the excellent Abdul Qadir. Then the next generation of spinners were Saqlain Mushtaq, Mushtaq Ahmed (both careers cut short thanks to the messed up PCB), Shane Warne, Anil Kumble, Murali. But then when we look ahead to the next generation, it looks like a blank. None of the spinners look anywhere close to the greats of the past. Harbhajan Singh showed a lot of promise but has turned out to be a disappointment. Spinners like Chawla have a long way to go. The talked about chinaman bowler Hogg slipped out on a not very memorable note. McGill has been ordinary. Pakistan's best spinner is Afridi- tells you the story. Kaneria is one who can not find his own bums with his two hands (In Siddhu's language). Panesar looks very promising, but still far from that mark of greatness. Where we have a very worthy next generation of pacemen ready, spinners seem to be on the way to becoming an endangered species.

I don't know much about other country's spin bowlers, but we have Harbhajan who is not a bad bowler when he attacks, gives flight and tries to trap the batsmen. It is only when he goes into a run-containing one day cricket mode, that he becomes rubbish. Then we have Piyush Chawla who is very young leggie and a wrist spinner. He has to develop a lot before he can be considered for tests. Amit Mishra is another leggie who lacks a bit of control but is quite promising. Let us come to SLA spinners now. A lot of youngsters are there taking left arm spin and the brightest of them is Pragyan Ojha. He'll certainly play our country, in near future. England have Monty who has lost his way slightly after his promising start but I'm sure he'll come back! Adil Rashid is a promising leg spinner in the county circuits. WI have a good spinner coming up named Juggernauth. He'll certainly represent his country in near future. SA have Paul Harris who did very well in Pakistan and had done superbly against India in his debut tests and we'll see shortly how far he has come in the coming series. SL has a plethora of spinners but they'll get to show their worth only when Murali leaves. It is Australia which is not throwing up many spinners and I don't have much knowledge about upcoming Pakistani players. .

i dont know why you state htat harbajan has become a flop. He is pretty good,and has proved his authority in both tests and ODI's. I have seen him repeatedly fox some aussie batsmen with his doosra. Remember 18th over in 20-20 SF against aus. a wicket maiden...!!! wht more do u want

in ODIs economy rate is important (along with wicketz), so even if Bhajji does not get as many wickets, his ER is usually fine. In Tests, we need strike bowlerz, and HS is more often than not getting wicketz in Tests. HS is useful for ODIs and 2020 - not for Test matchez

in ODIs economy rate is important (along with wicketz), so even if Bhajji does not get as many wickets, his ER is usually fine. In Tests, we need strike bowlerz, and HS is more often than not getting wicketz in Tests. HS is useful for ODIs and 2020 - not for Test matchez
Spot on
Pyush Chawla and Pragyan Ojha will rule in the next decade of spin bowling..
Piyush Chawla doesnt spin the ball much nor does he have the height of Kumble to extract bounce.Nevertheless he seems to be a good prospect. Iqbal Abdulla has been very impressive recently.We have not produced a quality SLA after Venkatapathy Raju.Iqbal can fill that gap if he really works hard
Pragyan Ojha and Ravinder Jadeja - both need to be nurtured and trained into great spinnerz.
Jadeja at his best wouldn't make even the zonal odi side purely on his bowling skills and I have no doubt in my mind he is overrated. Heard lot of good things about Ojha, but saw him bowl in a domestic match and realised its all hype. He is way behind Murali Karthik skill wise and I don't rate MK very highly, though I rate MK as the best spin bowling option present in the country on a breaking wicket, better than even Kumble and HS. I don't mean to sound like I'm gloating, but as a bowler of the same kind(Left arm Othodox) myself, I am far better than these two(Jadeja and Ojha).

Jadeja's a bits and pieces player. If India needs a spin bowler for the future, it can have Amit Mishra for the medium term, and for the longer term, Chawla IF he learns to develop a straighter one and gain consistency in f/c cricket, or Ojha or Iqbal Abdulla if he comes through the youth ranks well. Seam is where it's at, baybee.

i dont know why you state htat harbajan has become a flop. He is pretty good,and has proved his authority in both tests and ODI's. I have seen him repeatedly fox some aussie batsmen with his doosra. Remember 18th over in 20-20 SF against aus. a wicket maiden...!!! wht more do u want
I want him to return back to his attacking self, give more flight, air and loop to his deliveries and concentrate on taking wickets, not containing runs, because wickets are priceless in tests. Also I want him to come out from ODI mode to test mode while playing tests.

I remember Harbhajan Singh getting some effective purchase from difficult wickets. The skid he used to get has disappeared. He is not a bad bowler, but somewhere, I believe, that he has not grown enough since his introduction. At least, not enough to take it over from Kumble as the lead spinner.

Mohnish Parmar the gujarat offie is also the one to look out for has an outstanding record in first class so far. In 7 F/C matches has 37 Wickets at 15.25. Truly outstanding stuff. Is also just 19, so will improve as he gets older. When I first saw him in u19 game he had a Muraliesque action with a doosra, and was reported for chucking but now had remodelled his action, still possess a doosra and has a vicious offbreak.

Mohnish Parmar the gujarat offie is also the one to look out for has an outstanding record in first class so far. In 7 F/C matches has 37 Wickets at 15.25. Truly outstanding stuff. Is also just 19' date=' so will improve as he gets older. When I first saw him in u19 game he had a Muraliesque action with a doosra, and was reported for chucking but now had remodelled his action, still possess a doosra and has a vicious offbreak.[/quote'] But the umpires keep complaining against his action even now and so would be really surprised if he gets to play for India.