WC Countdown 15 days only

kabira

Re: WC Countdown 15 days only First real nailbitter in the WC event was game between WI and Pak 1975 - Pak v WI: A command performance from the rearguard By SK Sham Teams : Pakistan v West Indies Year - Location : 1975 - England Team Won : West Indies Defining Moment : A boundary by Murray, then a two and the crucial winning run in the last over squeezed West Indies through to a fabulous win. All the nuances of one-day cricket, its thrill-a-minute characteristic and element of unpredictability, came to the fore in the very first ICC Cricket World Cup held in England in 1975. A series of close encounters started with the West Indies-Pakistan match at Edgbaston. The absorbing clash ended in a one-wicket victory for the Clive Lloyd-led side. The match was balanced on a razor's edge and, after tense moments for both sides, it was won through the efforts of two most unexpected heroes for the Caribbean side. Wicket-keeper Deryck Murray produced a super knock and stayed unbeaten on 61. He found a most dependable ally in fast bowler Andy Roberts, always the last man with no pretensions about his batting. Chasing a target of 267, it seemed at one point that all was lost for the West Indians, tottering as they were at 203 for 9. The last-wicket pair, however, frustrated the Pakistani bowlers for 16 overs and finally won the match with a 64-run partnership. Victory was clinched with just two balls to spare. An average total Pakistan captain Wasim Bari won the toss and had no hesitation in deciding to bat first. But the star-studded Pakistan team did not bat as well as their fans would have liked. The graceful Majid Khan, Mushtaq Mohammad and Wasim Raja were the only ones to cross 50. Particularly disappointing were their prolific scorers, Zaheer Abbas and debutant Javed Miandad, who failed to consolidate on good starts. The left-arm seam bowling of Bernard Julien was difficult to face and the Pakistanis could not score many off him. They, set, however, a challenging target: 267 in 60 overs. Windies' top order collapse West Indies got off to a disastrous start, losing their main batsmen to Sarfraz Nawaz, who lived up to his reputation of being a master of swing. And when young Miandad, bowling leg-breaks, dismissed Clive Lloyd, the West Indians were in trouble. A collapse ensued and saw them placed hopelessly at 166 for 8 wickets. With just two wickets standing and 20 overs to go, they needed another 101 runs for victory. Tail-enders to the rescue The Pakistani supporters broke into wild celebrations when Holder fell to Sarfraz. At 203 for 9, Roberts joined Murray, with the Windies still 64 runs away from the target. Murray was as circumspect at the crease as he normally was behind the sticks. Roberts, at the other end, defended stubbornly. For those who saw the match, it was rare to see the otherwise flamboyant West Indians, indulging in self-denial at the crease. Runs came in singles and twos. As they plodded along, frustration began to creep in the Pakistani ranks and much experimentation happened but to no avail. As evening set in, the West Indies were gradually moving from the shadow of defeat towards a sparkling victory. In the last over, bowled by leg-spinner Wasim Raja, West Indies needed seven runs and Pakistan just that last wicket. A boundary by Murray, then a two and the crucial winning run, saw the West Indies squeeze through to a fabulous win. Twelve years later, the Pakistanis were to similarly turn the tables on the West Indians in the ICC Cricket World Cup match at Lahore. Pakistan won the 1987 game in the last ball by one wicket.

Re: WC Countdown 15 days only I would love to visit windies..its party place A crowd that knows how to enjoy cricket By Karthik Narayanan If there's one thing you can expect during a cricket match in the Caribbean, it's a lively party. Cricket for the West Indians is more than just a game, it's a way of life that one's meant to enjoy thoroughly. One can expect the ICC Cricket World Cup to be one grand party with the crowds providing colour and music throughout the event. Be prepared for racy calypso beats, with bongos and trumpets out in unison. Most grounds have stands designated as 'Mounds', the areas reserved for the more lively spectators. It's especially popular in Sabina Park, in Kingston and Kensington Oval, in Barbados. The tickets at the Mound are usually the most in demand and this is where you're likely to find the cheer-leaders and DJs. Cricket in the West Indies is incomplete without the musical accompaniments. Fans enter stadiums armed with conches, drums and various other instruments and provide a rhythmic flavour to the day. Antigua boasts 'Chickie", the famous DJ, who has a stand named in his honour. Music isn't played when the ball is bowled but timed with relation to the overs and breaks. Usually the mood of the music and pace is in direct relation with the state of the match. Tunes ranging from ska to calypso to soca chutney - with fans grinding their way through the day - add to the colourful the atmosphere. Despite these 'distractions', the West Indians are extremely knowledgeable about the game and watch very attentively. They follow what is going on in the play and pick up nuances that spectators from other countries might usually ignore. They enjoy attacking batsmen but are equally appreciative of good defensive techniques. They know their cricket history and it's never difficult to strike up a conversation with a group of aficionados. West Indians will obviously be rooting for their side but don't be surprised if you see them applauding fine performances from the opposition. They don't grudge good efforts from other teams and talk about the batting or bowling display for days on end. A Sachin Tendulkar or Ricky Ponting will get as much of his due as any of their West Indian heroes. As Courtney Walsh mentioned: "It will be a different kind of event in many ways - music, colour, and atmosphere. If at all West Indies go on to win it, cricket will get back its rightful place in the hearts of the Caribbean people."

Re: WC Countdown 17 days and 17 hours left

I can feel it..I can feel it...Just 17 days.. Feel free to post old articles about WC mostly relating to India...and any other close encounters..
Only 17 days left, I cant believe it has been 4 years since south africa

Re: WC Countdown 17 days and 17 hours left

I can feel it..I can feel it...Just 17 days.. Feel free to post old articles about WC mostly relating to India...and any other close encounters..
Only 17 days left, I cant believe it has been 4 years since south africa
got to agree with you..its gone by too fast..

Re: WC Countdown 15 days only How about this? Cricket.jpg Cartoon by Dr. Sudeep Ross CRICKET: INDIA'S PASSION, AMERICA'S INSECT - Melvin Duria If there's one major downside to living in America, particularly for people of South Asian origin, it's that cricket takes a backseat to almost everything. Ask the average American man if he likes to watch cricket and he'll say, "No way. They're far too noisy. I'd much rather watch grasshoppers." But ask the average Indian man if he likes to watch cricket and he'll fly into a rage, tearing at his hair and shouting, "Cricket! Don't ask me about cricket! I'm not talking about cricket until we beat those $%&* Aussies!"

Re: WC Countdown 15 days only Mr. Durai at his best: Indians in America had to shell out $299.95 to DISH network for the privilege of throwing objects at their TVs. "Come on, Ganguly!" they screamed. "You're batting like my grandma!" in America, most people were far more relaxed, their country not embroiled in cricket matches, just the prospect of war. Few had any clue that a World Cup was taking place, which made it easier on some cricket fans. Computer programmer: "Hello boss. I won't be coming to work today. I'm not feeling well again." Boss: "That's too bad, Ramesh. Have you seen a doctor?" Programmer: "Yes, boss. Dr. Gupta is here right now, checking my blood pressure. I hope my health insurance covers this. It's costing me $299.95."