To honour or not to honour

To honour or not to honour  

1. 1.

New Delhi: After refusing to honour Kapil Dev’s team on the silver jubilee celebrations of India’s 1983 World Cup win because of the ICL factor, the BCCI is again caught in no-man’s land, this time over whether to honour Virender Sehwag for scoring the fastest-ever triple century. According to sources, the BCCI is undecided over whether to recognise personal achievements and the issue has become a bone of contention within the cash-rich body. While one BCCI faction wants to recognise Sehwag’s feat by rewarding him, the other group feels it will set a bad precedent. One senior board official told TOI, ‘‘I don’t think personal milestones like Sehwag’s deserves that much mileage in a team game like cricket. People may argue that the BCCI had honoured Anil Kumble for his 600 Test wickets but that was a consistent performance over a long period, whereas Sehwag’s is a one-off knock.’’ This theory sounds completely misplaced as Sehwag’s feat is a rare one: He is only the third batsman after Don Bradman and Brian Lara to have two triple tons to his name. He is also the only Indian batsman to have entered the 300-club, leading another senior BCCI official to say, ‘‘I think he deserves BCCI’s recognition in a big way. He has done our country proud. Those who have played cricket will know that triple tons happen once in a lifetime and here is a man who has done it twice and in real quick time. It is a shame that we are even contemplating whether to reward him when there is so much free money being doled out by us (BCCI) for much lesser achievements..’’ Within the Indian team, some players also feel Sehwag’s special feat should be suitably acknowledged. A prominent Indian player said, ‘‘Getting a triple ton is not easy at all. It is like getting 10 wickets in an innings. I am not alone in the team who feels that Viru needs a lot of credit for his knock from the board.”
To honour or not to honour Sehwag?
Guest Hiten.

kapil - Yes Sehwag - Yes too, because scoring 300 is not a everyday thing. You cannot ask/expect a batsman to score 300 every test match (in an innings).

The fastest 300- its a unique record and must be honored. And what the f***k is doing with Kapil? He got us the world cup for god's sake. This is hypocrisy.
BCCI is confused about Kapil ... they know they should be honuring him but they dont wanna deal with him since he is running the ICL ... Kapil was a legend anyway !
Guest Hiten.

Kapil is being honored for his past antics. So there should be no confusion of any sorts in BCCI's camp. As Domaink said, Kapil led us to WC victory.

don't have a ceremony.. just before a game or something or during presenatation ceremony of any game or during any major ceremony, just invite him and pay and honour him.. don't have a whole ceremony just for honoring sehwag
Yes, but we must have a ceremony for Kapil.

sehwag has to be honoured. he alone has hit 2 more 300s than all indians put together and is the only cricketer in the world to reach to the 300 with a 6 & hit a 300 off <300 balls in tests. if yuvraj could be honoured for hitting 6 6s in the 20/20 wc, then sehwag also deserves a honour & much more than yuvraj. even yuvrajs feat was 1-off, if sehwags feat is being dismissed as 1-off

I sincerely appreciate Sehwag's effort. I thought it was monumental. It doesn't deserve any honour whatsoever though, because we did not win the match. I think honoring him will just ruin him really. Let him still have the hunger and desire to make more triple centuries. Perhaps give him a special medallion at the end of the series during the series presentation for his triple hundred but no need to have any ceremony. The whole Indian team needs a ceremony. We are the only team who thought we were in contention to become World's #1 in Cricket without batting well, bowling well, or fielding well. We deserve to be honored.