When Gupte dismissed Sobers at Green Park

He dismissed Sir Garfield Sobers only once in his career, but such was the guile and craft of Subhash Gupte that the legendary West Indies [images] batsman believed there was no leg-spinner better than him. "Warne's a great bowler but the best leg-spinner I've ever seen is still (Subhash) Gupte. He could do things that I still don't believe all these years later," said Sobers a couple of years back, putting the Indian ahead of the Australian and paying an ultimate tribute to a bowler who passed away a few years back [in May 2002, to be precise].
More at: http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2008/apr/09gupte.htm

One of the Indian tragic heroes. A great leg-spinner who was the best of his times, according to some(certainly) greatest ever. Had a big altercation with the a$$es that ruled Indian cricket, got pi$$ed off and moved to Carribean Islands. One of the only Indian bowlers to average more than 4 wickets per tests(akin to 50 plus batting average for batsmen), still doesnt get remotely the respect as one has for Sunny, Sachin, Dravid etc etc.

Gupte suffered hugely because of the very inept Indian fielding at the time. This is a big advantage that the spinners of the later generations had. There was plenty of regional politics within and without the team; some players benefitted from it, some suffered; Gupte was among the latter. Nari Contractor remembers about the 1959 tour of England which was wrecked by regional politics - The captain and manager were from Baroda and the Bombay players resented it.

"I can tell you when Subhash Gupte was bowling to Fred Trueman he did not know what was happening. Normally he should have packed the tailender off in no time. But as Trueman shaped to face Gupte, there would be someone - a close-in fieldsman - saying, "googly" or "leg break". It was ridiculous and anti-national. Trueman was able to play the bowling on this advice from fieldsmen. I swore to myself that if and when I became captain, I would come down beavily on such people. The Covers Are Off, Rajan Bala.
Gupte suffered hugely because of the very inept Indian fielding at the time. This is a big advantage that the spinners of the later generations had. There was plenty of regional politics within and without the team; some players benefitted from it, some suffered; Gupte was among the latter. Nari Contractor remembers about the 1959 tour of England which was wrecked by regional politics - The captain and manager were from Baroda and the Bombay players resented it.
really!? you mean our own people were helping this guy?