Yuvraj Singh: Yuseless even as a captain

Rohan495

If someone can list me 5, yes just 5 batsman, from the last 5 years, who have won more matches for their team, batting at no.5 or lower, I would be terribly grateful. Yuvraj has been massive for us in ODIs since 2005. The previous CB series was one of the few series when he had a mild form dip. Even in that, we werent able to win without his contribution. Sachin Tendulkar has been doing what he has been doing in ODIs, for the last 15 years. But our golden run in the limited overs has come since 2003, which was when Yuvi made his comeback into the ODI team.

If someone can list me 5, yes just 5 batsman, from the last 5 years, who have won more matches for their team, batting at no.5 or lower, I would be terribly grateful. Yuvraj has been massive for us in ODIs since 2005. The previous CB series was one of the few series when he had a mild form dip. Even in that, we werent able to win without his contribution.
Yeah, try to pull in more red herrings in here. Firstly, Yuvraj has batted at number 4 for a significant number of these matches and I can easily list down 5 batsmen from the number 4/5 slot who have been better than him. He has hardly even batted at 6, except for a handful of matches over the last couple of years. Secondly, do you really think being the 3rd best batsman for a couple of seasons in a team which has been in the middle rung of ODI cricket is that big a deal, specially when the batsman has hardly been able to break into the top 10 of ODI rankings?

Yeah, try to pull in more red herrings in here. Firstly, Yuvraj has batted at number 4 for a significant number of these matches and I can easily list down 5 batsmen from the number 4/5 slot who have been better than him. He has hardly even batted at 6, except for a handful of matches over the last couple of years. Secondly, do you really think being the 3rd best batsman for a couple of seasons in a team which has been in the middle rung of ODI cricket is that big a deal, specially when the batsman has hardly been able to break into the top 10 of ODI rankings?
Yuvraj didnt ALWAYS bat at no.4 and I will also accept that he also didnt always bat only at no.5 and lower. But a vast proportions of his winning contributions have come at no.5. And please go ahead and list those 'easily list-able' 5 batsman, in the last 5 years, who have won more matches for his team, than Yuvraj. Also, please also list 5 Indian middle order batsman, who have won matches for us, in the history of Indian cricket. And If we have a 'middle-rung' team in the last 3 years, its is despite of Yuvraj and not because of Yuvraj. Its very easy to open the innings in ODIs and blaze away and take all the honors. Yuvraj has done what he has done, despite having the handicap of batting in the late middle order.

COMPARE for yourself and see who has been the best batsmen in 2006 and 2007

Tendulkar and Dhoni both have been better than him and their consistent rankings show it as well. To be the 3rd best batsman in a middle ranking ODI team is no big deal.
2006(Between Jan 01,2006 and December 31/2006 ALL MATCHES Matches Runs Highest Average Hundreds Tendulkar 16 628 141* 44.85 2 Yuvraj 22 849 107* 53.06 2 Dhoni 29 821 96 41.05 0 2006 MATCHES WON Matches Runs Highest Average Hundreds Tendulkar 5 237 95 47.40 0 Yuvraj 13 601 107* 75.12 2 Dhoni 12 334 77* 55.66 0 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2007 01 JAN 2007 - 31 DEC 2007 ALL MATCHES Matches Runs Highest Average Hundreds Tendulkar 33 1425 100* 47.50 1 Yuvraj 36 1287 121 45.96 Dhoni 37 1103 139* 44.12 1 2007 MATCHES WON Matches Runs Highest Average Hundreds Tendulkar 16 788 100* 56.28 1 Yuvraj 21 845 95* 60.35 0 Dhoni 22 811 139* 67.58 1

Numbers dont do justice to Yuvraj's contributions. Just the assuredness with which he plays, the authority, sends so many positive vibes into the dressing room. Its one thing to have a defensive, fumbling batsman who edges and scratches around for his runs, but an entirely different proposition to have a batsman who dismisses opposition bowlers like Yuvraj does. Every time Yuvraj plays a substantial innings, he is not only winning matches for us, he is sending messages to the opposition and to the home dressing room, that we arent afraid of anyone and we play to win.

Yuvraj didnt ALWAYS bat at no.4 and I will also accept that he also didnt always bat only at no.5 and lower. But a vast proportions of his winning contributions have come at no.5.
Who cares where his winning contributions came from? He played more than 80% of his innings from number 4/5 I would say, and thats the spots he should be judged from. And I bet Hussey, Pieterson, Symonds, Dhoni, Clarke, Chanderpaul, Yousuf, Malik have at least comparable if not better records than him over the last couple of years or so.

Who cares where his winning contributions came from? He played more than 80% of his innings from number 4/5 I would say' date=' and thats the spots he should be judged from. And I bet Hussey, Pieterson, Symonds, Dhoni, Clarke, Chanderpaul, Yousuf, Malik have at least comparable if not better records than him over the last couple of years or so.[/quote'] And we all know how incredibly successful teams like W.Indies, Pakistan and England have been, in the last 5 years. And we havent even gone to 20/20 yet.

ok Y4C .. here is my honest take on Bhajji and UV Bhajji : is a hot head , had an amazing start to his career and can bowl a lot better and get many more wickets at a better average if he stays away from patting people and calling them names. He tasted success at a very young age and ever since then he hasnt been able to match that debut performance of his against the Aussies so I guess he has always been under pressure and to an extent he hasnt been groomed into a world class spinner like murali , Warne , Kumble & co. He is a good bowler in ODIs and T20s but has been pretty ordinary in the tests for many years now (By indian standards !). He still has a lot of time to improve ! Yuvraj : I know a guy who played at a very high level in Eng and he told me that UV @ the age of 14 was the hardest hitting batsman he had ever seen. Yuvraj has been awesome but sometimes he gets a rush of blood and messes up a lot of opportunities to finish the game. His couple of bad shots to hogg in the CB series would be the most recent examples. For tests, I am not a professional cricketer so I dont know whats wrong with him exactly .. to me it seems he is under way too much pressure to prove it to himself that he can be good at the highest level. In a nut shell both these guys have won some games and they have potential to do much better but because of their aggressive and arrogant personality they stuff it up at times! Your views are welcome !

ok Y4C .. here is my honest take on Bhajji and UV Bhajji : is a hot head , had an amazing start to his career and can bowl a lot better and get many more wickets at a better average if he stays away from patting people and calling them names. He tasted success at a very young age and ever since then he hasnt been able to match that debut performance of his against the Aussies so I guess he has always been under pressure and to an extent he hasnt been groomed into a world class spinner like murali , Warne , Kumble & co. He is a good bowler in ODIs and T20s but has been pretty ordinary in the tests for many years now (By indian standards !). He still has a lot of time to improve ! Yuvraj : I know a guy who played at a very high level in Eng and he told me that UV @ the age of 14 was the hardest hitting batsman he had ever seen. Yuvraj has been awesome but sometimes he gets a rush of blood and messes up a lot of opportunities to finish the game. His couple of bad shots to hogg in the CB series would be the most recent examples. For tests, I am not a professional cricketer so I dont know whats wrong with him exactly .. to me it seems he is under way too much pressure to prove it to himself that he can be good at the highest level. In a nut shell both these guys have won some games and they have potential to do much better but because of their aggressive and arrogant personality they stuff it up at times! Your views are welcome !
You read my mind lol. I think pretty much the same. Both of them can improve cuz right now both of them dont do proper justice to the talent they have. Bhajji seems to be on the rigth track now after cb series and sa test series...Lets see

And we all know how incredibly successful teams like W.Indies, Pakistan and England have been, in the last 5 years.
And you think India would have won as many matches if there was also not the presence of Tendulkar at the top, and Dravid/Dhoni in the middle order with Yuvraj? Tell me do WI, Pak, and England have these kind of batsmen? BTW, also add Jayawrdhane to the list.

You read my mind lol. I think pretty much the same. Both of them can improve cuz right now both of them dont do proper justice to the talent they have. Bhajji seems to be on the rigth track now after cb series and sa test series...Lets see
true ... its more frustrating to see these guy mess up cuz we all know that they can do much better but I GUESS WE ALL CAN !

yuvraj has proved to be the worst captain in the tournament. got a big score of 166, but couldnt defend it against a team which made only 129 in their last match. also, allowed chennai super kings to make 240 when they were 86 after 10 overs, conceding 154 off the last 10 overs. played 6 bowlers in the match, so when they were 4 down, the all-rounders started to come & there was no batsman to follow after irfan pathan its good that yuvraj never became the indian captain & isnt likely to become a captain in future as well
wow how can dhoni let almost 110 runs in last 8 overs against mumbai, now that makes him bad captain with no tactics, and bad field placement? esp against middle to bottom order mumbai batsmen. the point is lots of guys are just biased against yuvi here with all the crap quotes and arguments

lol..this was katich's second game. We are not dependent on him. Yes, Bret Lee will be missed. But today Irfan and VRV showed that they are up to the challenge. Chawla has improved and Powar is a decent backup for him. Sreesanth should do alright too at times. so not a bad attack. Important thing is we got a balance in our batting and bowling. and haha..dude, chennai is in for some torrid time without hayden and hussey..lol

Chennai will struggle from here onwards to reach semis without haydos, oram and hussey. Hayden is the best 20-20 batsman in the world as he scores consistently well that too at terrific Strike Rate. He'll be missed badly. Their replacement opener fleming is no match for him. Oram is the big hitter and great all rounder in this form of the game. No good replacment him for either.