SRK dug-out row

bobbydhillon

ICC surprised by SRK's statement An ICC spokesman says the reported SRK incident has nothing to do with the ICC as IPL is a domestic tournament being held under the rules and regulations of the BCCI. More... ICC surprised by Shah Rukh Khan's statement Press Trust Of India New Delhi, May 19, 2008 First Published: 15:53 IST(19/5/2008) Last Updated: 16:33 IST(19/5/2008) ICC on Monday appeared surprised at film star Shah Rukh Khan's statement that its anti-corruption unit had asked him not to be with the team on the playing field, saying that the IPL tournament was being played under BCCI's rules and regulations. The ICC said the IPL was a domestic tournament and the game's governing body did not have any role in formulating the rules. "The reported incident has nothing to do with the ICC as IPL is a domestic tournament which is being held under the rules and regulations of the BCCI," an ICC spokesman told PTI from Dubai. "Furthermore, the ICC Board in its meeting held in Dubai on 17-18 March had decided that IPL will introduce a code of conduct, an anti-corruption code and an anti-doping code that complies with ICC regulations," he said. Bollywood superstar and Kolkata team owner Shah Rukh Khan last night expressed disappointment, claiming he had been barred by the ICC anti-corruption unit from going to the team dug out and dressing room in the remaining IPL matches. "I like to hang around with the boys. I am very energetic. I am very disappointed that the ICC has stopped me," he said. "I don't know the ICC rules. I'll tell only one thing. Nobody dare stop me from coming to Kolkata. I'll be here whenever my team plays a match at the Eden," Khan said. Asked whether Shah Rukh needed an accreditation for the IPL matches, the ICC spokesman said, "Everybody needs an accreditation and these are in line with anti-corruption code. BCCI is following anti-corruption code. Now I don't know what modifications they have made to the code."

Shah Rukh will be allowed to cheer from dug-out The Indian Premier League said franchise owners will be issued an all-area accreditation badge, which will permit them to sit in the team dug-out during the Twenty20 matches. More... Shah Rukh will be allowed to cheer from dug-out May 19, 2008 18:04 IST A day after Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan [images] was denied entry to his team's dressing room, Indian Premier League authorities issued fresh guidelines, which cleared the deck for the presence of a franchise owner in the team dug-out during the Twenty20 tournament. IPL chairman and commissioner Lalit Modi announced that the organisers will issue an all-area accreditation badge to one member of each of the eight team franchisees, following the ejection of Shah Rukh from the dug-out by the Anti-Corruption and Security Unit officials of the International Cricket Council. While defending the ACSU officials' decision to ask the film star to vacate the dug-out during the IPL match against Chennai Super Kings at the Eden Gardens on Sunday, Modi said suitable measures would be taken to avoid a repeat of the incident. "There have been reports in the media about denial of a team owner access to the dug out and dressing room. The IPL is conducted as per the rules and regulations of the ICC [images], whose ACSU officials were just doing the job entrusted," Modi said. "They go strictly by the colour code. A red badge issued by the ACSU, on approval of the team manager, will help the person holding it access to all areas," he said. "This is what we intend to do by giving each of the team owners one such badge each. They do have the right to sit with the players in the dug outs and dressing rooms," Modi told a media conference in Mumbai on Monday evening. Modi said since this is the first year of the IPL, they are still learning the ropes. "If we make mistakes, we are willing to set them right. This is the first year of IPL. "We had already provided such badges to Preity Zinta [images] (owner of Punjab King's XI) and Vijay Mallya [images] (owner of Bangalore's Royal Challengers) as we had received such a request from them in advance," Modi explained. "The team owners have the right to be with the team at all times. They are very much part of the team's strategies," he added. Modi also said that each team, in addition, would get four visitor's passes with the condition that the holder of that badge, one at a time, can sit with the team members during the match for a maximum of 15 minutes. "After the usage (of the temporary badge) it must be returned to the manager who has issued it," he said. The IPL chairman also said that in future children of team members, including support staff, would not be allowed to enter the teams' dug-outs or dressing rooms during a match. Earlier, the ICC expressed surprise at Shah Rukh's statement that he had been ejected by ACSU personnel. The ICC said the IPL is a domestic tournament and the game's governing body did not have any role in formulating the rules. "The reported incident has nothing to do with the ICC as the IPL is a domestic tournament which is being held under the Rules and Regulations of the BCCI," an ICC spokesman said from Dubai. "Furthermore, the ICC Board in its meeting held in Dubai on 17-18 March had decided that IPL will introduce a code of conduct, an anti-corruption code and an anti-doping code that complies with ICC regulations," he said. Shah Rukh was visibly dejected after being denied an entry in the dressing room and the actor said, "I like to hang around with the boys. I am very energetic. I am very disappointed that the ICC has stopped me," he said. "I don't know the ICC rules. I'll tell only one thing. Nobody dare stop me from coming to Kolkata. I'll be here whenever my team plays a match at the Eden," Khan said. Knight Riders CEO Joy Bhattacharya said ICC rules are meant to stop bookies entering the dressing room but they do not apply in a domestic tournament like IPL. "When these rules were framed, the concept of franchisee owners' domestic tournament didn't even come, the law was not framed to stop people like Shah Rukh Khan, Preity Zinta, Mukesh Ambani or Vijay Mallya from walking into the dressing room," he said. "According to even ICC regulations, there is a system of visitor's pass, the manager and team management sign it. The person can be allowed in the dressing room as long as it is signed by. So there is no way to stop Shah Rukh from entering the dressing room," Bhattacharya added. BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah, meanwhile, asserted that Shah Rukh has to go by ICC rules, even though he felt nothing could really stop the actor from entering the dressing room. "He should take permission from IPL's anti-corruption officer before entering into the dressing room," Shah said.

We'll ensure owners can stay with their teams: Modi IPL organisers will issue an all area accreditation badge to one member of each of the eight team franchises. More... We'll ensure owners can stay with their teams: Modi Agencies Posted online: Monday , May 19, 2008 at 1528 hrs IST Mumbai, May 19: : Film star Shah Rukh Khan's statement that he had been barred entry to his team's dressing room on Monday prompted the IPL organisers to put in place a system which will allow franchise owners access to the team during matches. The Indian Premier League has decided to issue an all area accreditation badge to one member of each of the eight team franchises following the ejection of Kolkata Knight Riders' owner Shah Rukh Khan from his team's dug out by the Anti Corruption Unit officials of the International Cricket Council. While defending the decision of the ACU officials to ask the filmstar to vacate his team's dug out during the IPL tie against Chennai Super Kings at the Eden Gardens as part of the procedure that's been followed in all matches, IPL Chairman and Commissioner Lalit Modi said suitable measures would be taken to avoid a repeat of this incident. "There have been reports in the media about denial of a team owner access to the dug out and dressing room. The IPL is conducted as per the rules and regulations of the ICC whose ACU officials were just doing the job entrusted," Modi said. "They go strictly by the colour code. A red badge issued by the ACU, on approval of the team manager, will help the person holding it access to all areas," he said. "This is what we intend to do by giving each of the team owners one such badge each. They do have the right to sit with the players in the dug outs and dressing rooms," Modi told a media conference on Monday. The IPL Chairman's statement sought to clear the air following the ruckus when Shahrukh was told by the ICC's ACU officials that he should not be in the players' dressing room or their dug out. Modi said since this was the first year of the IPL they were still learning the ropes. "If we make mistakes we are willing to set them right. This is the first year of IPL." "We had already provided such badges to Preity Zinta (owner of Punjab King's XI) and Vijay Mallya (owner of Bangalore's Royal Challengers) as we had received such a request from them in advance," Modi explained. "The team owners have the right to be with the team at all times. They are very much part of the team's strategies," he added. Modi also said that each team, in addition, would get four more badges with the condition that the holder of that badge, one at a time, can sit with the team members during the match for a maximum duration of 15 minutes. "After the usage (of the temporary badge) it must be returned to the manager who has issued it. At a time only one person can use this badge," he clarified. The IPL Chairman also said that in future children of team members, including support staff, would not be allowed to enter the teams' dug-outs or dressing rooms during a match. "We have noticed these and no kids would be allowed to be with the team when the match is on, either in the dug-outs or in the dressing rooms," Modi said. Modi said that the payments to some Australian players by the team franchises have been delayed only due to "tax problems". "They will get their payments. The delay is due to some taxation issues. They need not be worried." Modi also said two players from each team are chosen at random for dope testing. "The players are selected by the manager who draws lot from a box before each match. They are only numbered and the numbers are then matched with the players' names who are called for dope testing," Modi explained. "The samples are then sent to the World Anti Doping Agency's lab in Sweden," he said. The IPL Chairman could not immediately explain how a stalemate would be resolved in case a match is washed out in the knock-out phase of the event, featuring the two semi finals and final between May 30 and June 1. "The playing conditions of the IPL are there in the website (www.iplt20.com). You can download and print them." Interestingly, the official website of the multi-billion dollar event does not contain the playing conditions of the 44-day event featuring 59 matches.