Lalit Modi & IPL

Today I saw an 30 min interview of Modi on CNN. The host asked him questions about cricket , his business and what is he expecting future etc. The interview started in a pvt plane (yes the bugger has a pvt plane) and he was asked about the direction the IPL is going & obviously he said he is very happy and the goals that he had for IPL to reach in 2-3 years are already being achieved like locals bonding and supporting their teams over their favorite national stars playing for other teams. Well other questions were routine like how he manages to look after his business , IPL , family etc and he said he struggles but somehow he has been able to manage it somehow. They also asked him about court cases against him and he explained that BCCI members sued him for everything and at one time he had 145 cases pending against him but he fought his way through. Then he dropped a bomb (it was a news to me at least), he said He doesn't get anything from BCCI .. nobody gets anything from BCCI as its a NON Profit disorganization and they all are honorary members. The host asked him "so what did you get out of successful IPL" and he smiled & said "Nothing, just satisfaction that people are getting the entertainment that they need and the game is growing".. I don't get it .. I don't think he is doing a charity .. what do you guys think .. I cant digest that he is not concentrating on his big family business and is putting his energy and time into IPL without making any money .. also that none of the BCCI members get any money .. I don't think the likes of Sharad Powar , Rajeev Shukla and the selectors would work for BCCI without getting anything out of it.. So what is he getting out of it ?

Here is an article on cnn.com about his interview

Former England cricket captain Michael Atherton has called him "ruthless," but for Lalit Modi, the man behind cricket's revolutionary Indian Premier League and vice-president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), this is less of a criticism and more a statement of fact. art.modi.jpg Bringing glitz to the game, Lalit Modi is the man behind cricket's Indian revolution. "I am ruthless, without doubt," he told CNN's Talk Asia in Mumbai. "Otherwise we wouldn't get where we were." Many believe that Modi, 44, has taken cricket into a new era, turning a sport that can be baffling to watch and take five days to play, into a brightly-colored instant hit of action taking just a few hours. With cheerleaders, the best players in the world and even Bollywood stars as part owners of some of the teams, Modi has concocted a recipe fit for prime-time TV consumption, in a country renown for its passion for the game. Modi's came up with the idea of a new Indian cricket league came 14 years ago, but resisted the involvement of the BBCI at that time, citing too many vested interested within India's main cricketing body that would have spoiled his ideas. While ruthless he is also astute to the financial potential of cricket in India and the IPL. After graduating from Duke University in the U.S. in sports management he returned to India to launch ESPN and 10 Sports. Coming from a family that controls Modi Enterprise, an industrial conglomerate worth $1.5 billion, Modi admits his family were concerned that he was moving away from business and spending so much time with cricket while setting up the IPL. "They didn't think that I'll be spending so much time with cricket, and cricket has taken up so much time of my time, but the job has made it so demanding. Either I do it well, and if I do it well then I need to give the time for it," he told CNN. It's been time well spent, both professionally and personally: Modi has his own private jet, gets mobbed in the streets by fans and can hang out with Bollywood stars. Yet he hasn't made a fortune from the IPL: "I have an honorary position and BCCI is a charity and a trust. It's a nonprofit-making organization and we do this for development of the game and I'm passionate about the game." However as vice-president of the BCCI he has been instrumental in boosting its revenues, brokering television deals and sponsorship associations that could see it top the $1 billion mark in the next five years. It's no surprise that such an iconoclastic figure in a game rooted in tradition has his personal critics and those that are skeptical about the direction he is taking the game. Modi was not without controversy himself, as he was accused of drug dealing and abduction while at university, claims that were never proven. The 20-over version of the game played in the IPL has worried some that the finer points of the game may be sacrificed for the instant, mass-market appeal. But for Modi, it's quite simple: "We've hit records in viewership, record numbers in sponsorships sales, record number in team franchise sales, the owner themselves have done so well, the stadiums are full. We got Bollywood involved, I mean it's a script that I couldn't have written better myself."
Link 1.5 billion business and he is running IPL for no remuneration ... if he is doing that then he is new Mahatma Gandhi
CRICKET GETS BIG Here are the big figures that made the Indian Premier League such a huge success...
  1. Over 200 million Indian viewers, 10 million international viewers and 4 million live audience watched IPL.
  2. A 10-second ad spot during IPL cost Rs 2 lakh to start with, and went for Rs 10 lakh in the final.
  3. IPL will bring in about Rs 12 billion every year in cricket. India’s total sports budget last year was Rs 4.9 billion.
  4. BCCI will earn Rs 3.5 billion from the first year of IPL, which is more than the Rs 2.3 billion it earned in 2007.

Wow look at the figures above and try to digest that Modi isnt making a single penny :hysterical::hysterical:
This summer, India was hooked on to the blockbuster of the decade. It was on at a stadium near you and had the cricketers as the main attractions. Add cheerleaders, special performances, stars amongst the audience and a few controversies, and IPL managed to pip films, telly and all other forms of entertainment to the post. Now that the cricket event is over, it is time to crunch some mammoth numbers! To begin with, over four million spectators watched IPL matches in stadiums. Even on TV, the TRP of these matches was a mind boggling 8.2 in the first two weeks, 8 at others and was always above 5. That’s when saas-bahu soaps like Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi have averaged at 5, and SRK’s Paanchvi Paas has seen TRPs of 4. But the organisation whose coffers are overflowing is BCCI. “Between organisers, broadcasters and franchises, IPL will bring in approximately Rs 12 billion a year into cricket. The Indian government’s sports budget for the year 2007 was Rs 4.9 billion. Board of Control for Cricket in India’s profit in the first year of IPL would be Rs 3.5 billion in the first year, which is more than BCCI’s profit figure of 2007, recorded at Rs 2.35 billion,” explain experts. Arnab Mitra of IIFL, who has written a study on the IPL, is of the view that BCCI will rake in the maximum profits from IPL. His study concludes, “If broadcasting rights, franchise fees and central sponsorships are combined, there will be a fixed yearly income for BCCI. Plus, there are no cost pressures on the body due to stadium leasing expenses or any hikes in the salaries of players. This will lead to it more than doubling its profits in the very first year. The forecasted profit for BCCI over the next 10 years is a whopping Rs 43 billion!” Those who are facing the brunt of IPL success are Bollywood and TV industry. They have not only lost out on viewership but also revenue and ad slots. Says telly actress Divya Jagdale, “We can expect the TRPs of our soaps to rise now, considering the IPL is over.” And Gautam Dutta, CEO, PVR Cinemas, adds, “Some production houses postponed their big releases while the IPL was on. There haven’t been many big releases in the IPL season, and footfalls just got postponed as the matches were on everyday. However, the moviegoers have had a big enough dose of the IPL now and will happily come back for movies. Now that the IPL is over, the pentup latent demand for movies is going to be back.” In fact, the only film which did well during the IPL season was Jannat, a film on match-fixing. “IPL was the topic of the season and the timing of the movie was great. It came out at a time when the IPL matches were tapering towards the end,” adds Dutta. Emraan Hashmi, the lead actor of the film, explains, “Jannat’s release couldn’t have been timed better. With the IPL, the backdrop was great and we raked in the profits for our sense of good timing.” Another filmi trend that ‘happened’ to IPL was selling tickets in black! Outside Ferozshah Kotla before the Kolkata and Delhi match, ticket sales were soaring. And tickets were sold at rates 200 per cent higher than their original prices – a trend rarely witnessed before in cricket in India! But have the franchises, who doled out hefty amounts for the players and teams, been winners too? The answer is that most will end with profits, especially Jaipur and Kolkata. Mohali may be amongst the winners too. That is by earning through broadcasting fees, central and local sponsorships and ticket sales. While SRK’s Kolkata Knight Riders has made the cut on account of local sponsorships and ticket sales, Jaipur saved on team salaries and advertising. It is Vijay Mallya’s Royal Challengers which lost out on local sponsorships, was better than Jaipur on account of ticket sales but then lost again due to high team salaries and advertising, and may end up in red. But that’s just till the next IPL season!
:hatsoff: