Oscars 2023

zen

I don't follow the Oscars as much now as I used to. However, at times, when some good films are released, I do check to see how they did. 

Happy that

• All Quiet on the Western Front received 3 major awards in cinematography, score, and foreign/international film. I have seen this film a few times and felt that it would be the favorite for these types of awards. 
  • Navalny got the best documentary award. I liked how the documentary dealt with the poisoning & incarnation of Navalny by the Putin govt in Russia. 
  • Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio, a well-balanced animated feature, received the Oscar (though my favorite is Puss in Boots: The Last Wish as it gave me quite a few laughs). 
  • The Elephant Whisperers was handed an Oscar for best short documentary. It is now on my watch list. 

A little disappointed because

• The Banshees of Inisherin was snubbed despite being nominated in a number of categories. It is one of the most unique and magical films that I have seen. 
  • Cate Blanchett missed out on the best actress award for Tár. It was a mind-blowing performance. 

BAFTA 2023 aligned with my expectations more than the 2023 Oscars

Edited by zen