International Cricket Captain III Videogame - Just AWESOME

I just saw in a recent thread on how people are talking about no good videogames for cricket. Well if you're big on statistics and strategy like me, then you'll want to pick up (download) and play International Cricket Captain III at http://www.childishthings.co.uk/ . If you haven't played earlier editions, then ICC is basically a strategy game where you can either be an international team or an English county + international team and play one of the following: any of the last three world cups, the Future Tours Programme (you can play it out for years - I am currently in year 2084 with India and Gloucestershire) or a multi-match Test/ODI series. At the county level you can pick a county and play out season after season of county cricket. For each international tour, you pick your squad of 18 players and pick your final XI for any match. You then play each over (you can choose to play each ball) in the match. If you're batting, you choose the lineup (who bats where) as well as the aggressiveness levels of the current batsmen. The 3D graphics engine, while rudimentary, plays out the ball/over and displays what happens in that moment (again, you can choose to only display the graphics whenever a wicket falls or batsman hits a 6 or a 4). When bowling, you can choose the bowler to bowl any particular over, the field placements and aggressiveness levels of the bowler and also the line/length that the bowler is going to bowl. ICC comes with a huuuuuuuuge database of players (you can go ahead and pick saayyy Shitanshu Kotak from Saurashtra or Sachin Rana from Haryana for India if you feel like it) and each year, new (fake) players are entered into the database as other players retire. In the Ashes edition (2006), you can play out the past Ashes series between England and Australia. You disagree with the selectors' choices in this coming ODI series? Pick the right team (I dropped Viru from ODI team) and play ICC!

I absolutely LOVE this game. Bought my first ICC from Electronics Boutique on Oxford Street in London back in winter of 1999 (ICC 2000) - spent hours and hours of my life playing it. I'd say i've played it more than any other PC game i ever owned. That particular version didn't allow you to play international cricket with teams other than England, but it was better in the sense that you had to start from the very bottom - coaching a team in the County Championship and then EARNING the privilege of taking over the England team after a few good seasons. Then you would simultaneously coach BOTH your County side and the England team. Great fun, and very challenging. I have played many other versions since then, the most recent being the ICC 07 demo (which starts off with the World Cup). I have to exercise a great deal of restraint to stop myself from buying it outright, because it's just so damn addictive. So now i just play the hell out of it for 2 days and then uninstall it. Anyone have some interesting ICC stories they want to share ? I'll start - my very first team was Northamptonshire and i started off against Surrey. I remember i was bowled out for 200 and then lost by an innings. This Northants opener named Richard Montgomerie scored 70 odd and knowing that my team was sh it, i focused all my efforts on making sure that he topped the run charts at the end of the season...:haha:

Here is an old ICC scorecard i saved many months ago;

India v England
1st Test Match - 1 Nov 2007

India - 1st Innings
----------------------------------------------
G Gambhir       b Panesar                 355
W Jaffer        c Cook b Panesar          67
R Dravid        b Vaughan                 14
V Sehwag        c Flintoff b Panesar      20
S Badrinath     c Pietersen b Panesar     40
M Tiwary        b Anderson                24
M Dhoni         c Nixon b Flintoff        8
P Chawla        b Flintoff                30
A Kumble        c & b Panesar             10
S Sreesanth     c Nixon b Flintoff        2
M Patel         not out                   0
Extras: (nb8,w4,lb4)                      16
TOTAL: (all out, 152.2 overs)             586

O       M       R       W
A Flintoff      30.2    4       113     3
J Anderson      34      3       156     1
S Mahmood       25      1       126     0
M Panesar       51      7       151     5
M Vaughan       12      2       36      1
Fall of Wickets:
1-198  2-282  3-337  4-434  5-525  
6-539  7-550  8-574  9-583  10-586

India won by 7 wickets
Man of the match: G Gambhir

I scored another triple hundred with Gambhir (against Zimbabwe) and then a double against Pakistan. I think i had him averaging close to 70 in test cricket after 20 odd matches. One thing which p isses me off about ICC is that after all these years, they still haven't changed the pictures of the stadiums. Eden Gardens' picture is still the same old one from the 1993 Charms Cup

so how do you play this game? Is it just virtual or do you actually get to score fours and sixers?
Virtual. You can set the batsman's level of aggression (i think it's on a scale of 1-10) and with the bowler, you can set the line and the length they will bowl. The game executes these moves for you. The better the player, the better the execution. The real charm of this game lies in the actual creation and management of a team, not in the actual gameplay itself...you are playing the role of a coach rather than a player

The best cricket game ever made. I had to uninstall this game to wean myself off it! It was that addicitive. Veeru is an absolute monster in this game. He used to crack doubles and triples at 100+ SR(quite like in real life :D). S Abbas Ali is another great unknown bat. I used to have Sodhi and Agarkar as my opening attack in tests :giggle: Not only did they make mine a deep batting lineup, they used to pick up 3fers and 4fers in tests quite regularly. :omg: Playing ODIs gets boring after a while but tests are awesome. I remember a test where I was chasing 350 to win against RSA in RSA in the 4th innings and I won by 9 wickets. Ali and Sehwag had a 250+ stand. This game is simply awesome.