Emerging Players Tournament, 2008

You can see that we are 3rd in the point table in 4 nation tournament. That itself is the worry. Before also when some lively track was presented, the Indians fell like nine pins and lost the match. If this is our emerging India, wonder what the future will be like!! I just can't see a single test batsman who can replace even the out of fprm stalwarts in the test team. The players just don't adapt. And those who do not adapt to different conditions can't be too successful in tests. This is what I think. Secondly, the bowling department absolutely rubbish. And that is yet another worry,no? Are these our emerging bowlers?

Emerging Players Tournament 2008, Brisbane, 6th round New Zealand and Australia to contest final Cricinfo staff July 23, 2008 New Zealand Emerging Players 116 for 8 (Guptill 24, Kulkarni 3-14) beat India Emerging Players 110 (Jadeja 42, Arnel 3-7) by 6 runs (D/L method) Scorecard New Zealand topped the league phase of Emerging Players Tournament after beating India in a rain-curtailed contest at the Allan Border Field. The match was initially reduced to 31 overs, and finally to 20, and India fell short of New Zealand's 116 by six runs. Both teams failed to build momentum during their innings with wickets falling frequently. India sent New Zealand in and struck immediately - Manpreet Gony dismissed Jesse Ryder for a duck. Martin Guptill added 34 with Peter Ingram for the second wicket, the highest partnership of New Zealand's innings. Guptill was bowled by Dhawal Kulkarni for 24 and New Zealand lost nine wickets for 82 runs. Kulkarni had the best figures among India's bowlers, taking 3 for 14. Ravindra Jadeja picked up 2 for 32 with his left-arm spin. India's revised target under the Duckworth/Lewis method was a moderate one - 115 off 20 overs - but their chase started disastrously. Brent Arnel ripped through the top order, taking 3 for 7, and barring Shikhar Dhawan, none of the top six got into double figures. The chase was salvaged by Jadeja, who capped an all-round performance by scoring 42, and Pinal Shah who made 22. However, Jadeja was run out by Bradley Scott and the tail folded with the score on 110. New Zealand face the Australian Institute of Sports, who finished second in the league, in the final of the tournament on July 26. India will take on South Africa Emerging Players in the third-place play=off. Australian Institute of Sports 208 for 1 in 25 overs (Warner 119*, Doropoulos 65) beat South Africa Emerging Players 166 for 8 in 21.4 overs (O'Keefe 3-19) by 32 runs (D/L method) Scorecard David Warner struck an unbeaten 119 to help secure Australia's second spot in the league with a 32-run victory against South Africa in a rain-shortened match at the Albury Oval. He shared an opening partnership of 125 with Theo Doropoulos, who scored 65, and steered Australia towards a match-winning total of 208 in 25 overs. Rain delayed the start and reduced the match to a 36-overs-a-side contest. Australia raced to 115 after 15 overs before there was another interruption in play. On resumption the match was curtailed to 25 overs a side and once the Australian innings finished on 208, South Africa's target was scaled up to 224 off 25 overs. South Africa's chase never took off with wickets falling at a steady pace. Eight batsmen got into double figures but no one made a substantial score. Wicketkeeper Daryn Smit's 33 at No. 8 was the highest score. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So AIS with relatively young players who've hardly played any FC cricket proceed to the final and India with players who are our hope for future are left behind!! What an irony! I'm extremely disappointed by the batsmen who were inconsistent, flourished only on flat decks and fell behind the opposition in low scoring matches on supposedly lively pitches. There was not much to expect from bowlers as they won't be considered for the country apart from maybe Misra, but batsmen were a big big letdown!

Pankaj Singh shines in Brisbane in Emerging Players' Tournament India A finished third (with 12 points) in the recently concluded Emerging Players Tournament in Brisbane. And one player who made his presence felt was Pankaj Singh, reports Heena Zuni Pandit. More... Pankaj shines in Brisbane Heena Zuni Pandit, Hindustan Times New Delhi, July 30, 2008 First Published: 23:44 IST(30/7/2008) Last Updated: 21:48 IST(31/7/2008) India A finished third (with 12 points) in the recently concluded Emerging Players Tournament in Brisbane. And one player who made his presence felt, grabbing wickets, was Pankaj Singh. The medium pacer from Sultanpur district of Uttar Pradesh, took nine wickets in the 6 matches, making him the leading wicket taker. Singh, high on confidence, feels that the exposure has helped him emerge as a more serene bowler. “Playing with Australia, South Africa and New Zealand was good exposure for me. The pitches were really good, I loved bowling there,” said Singh. “I used the domestic season to do all the hard work and was looking for such an opportunity. Besides, the month long camp in Bangalore also proved fruitful. I feel more composed now when I bowl,” he added. Singh came in to the limelight after his five-wicket haul against Mumbai last season that secured him a place for the Australia tour. This 23-year-old said the tour helped him. “I was definitely expecting a call but unfortunately I didn't get to play the Tests, however I had a fair idea of how the pitches are like," he said. Singh, who was in the IPL Jaipur team, said: “The IPL was a learning experience. It was like an international platform. So many domestic and international players together was the best part of the tournament.” Ask if Singh is hoping for a call for the one-dayers in Sri Lanka said: “I am concentrating on my game, I can improve myself without bothering about the selection.

Dhawan finally comes of age in EPT in Australia Dhawan finished the Emerging Players' Tournament in Australia as India's highest run-scorer, scoring an impressive 334 runs at 66.8 in the six matches he played, reports Arjun Sen. More... Dhawan finally comes of age Arjun Sen, Hindustan Times New Delhi , July 31, 2008 First Published: 23:29 IST(31/7/2008) Last Updated: 23:34 IST(31/7/2008) It has, so far, been an annus mirabilis for Shikhar Dhawan. If the IPL enhanced his reputation as a youngster with a lot of promise and potential, the just concluded Emerging Players' Tournament in Australia established the stylish southpaw as the one to look for in the future. Dhawan finished the tournament in Brisbane as India's highest run-scorer, scoring an impressive 334 runs at 66.8 in the six matches he played. And though India didn't win the tournament, in fact they didn't even make it to the final, Dhawan, justifiably, has some very fond memories of his time Down Under. "Australia was great fun. The wickets certainly helped me score the runs that I did," Dhawan says, almost attempting to trivialise his effort. But scoring all those runs couldn't have been half as easy as Dhawan makes it sound like. Probe a little more, and he concedes. "Initially, the wickets were pretty damp. Batting in the first few games wasn't easy at all. But once I got the hang of playing on those tracks, it became much easier." That certainly seemed like the case as Dhawan grew in confidence with every game, his unbeaten 184 against South Africa undoubtedly being the high point of the tour. Dhawan has always been a precocious talent. He burst on to the scene at the 2001 u-19 World Cup in Bangladesh, where he finished as the highest run-scorer. However, he could never sustain that kind of success in the domestic arena after that. Unquestionably talented and uniquely gifted, consistency was perhaps the one area where Dhawan needed to work on. And that is exactly what Dhawan achieved last season. Be it the Ranji Trophy, the IPL or his other domestic commitments, Dhawan batted with purpose and rare composure. "I worked on a lot of aspects in the off-season. And not all of it was mental conditioning," Dhawan says. "My time at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) helped me a lot and I am very grateful to all the coaches there. I owe a lot to them," Dhawan, as honest as ever, says. "They helped me work on my driving, transferring my body weight and a lot of other smaller things." So what does the new and improved Shikhar Dhawan expect from the future? Doesn't an India call-up ever cross his mind? "Well, honestly, I would be lying if I said I don't think of a possible call-up, but yes, at the moment all I want to do is play well. The results will follow." The panache was always there; it's the poise that's made all the difference.

‘New rule changes the dynamics’ feels India Emerging Players' skipper Badrinath An interesting experimental rule was in place during the recently concluded quadrangular Emerging Players tournament in Brisbane. More... ‘New rule changes the dynamics’ S. Dinakar Chennai: An interesting experimental rule was in place during the recently concluded quadrangular Emerging Players tournament in Brisbane. The second or third set of Power Play overs was actually decided by the batting side. S. Badrinath, who led the Indian team in the competition, told The Hindu, here, on Thursday that the latest innovation challenged both the batting and the fielding sides. The experimental rule was introduced in the competition down under following criticism from some quarters that the use of the three blocks of Power Play overs — ten, five and five — was becoming too predictable. More often than not, the captains tended to use it in the first twenty overs of a 50-over game. Of course, there were instances when someone as canny as Sri Lankan captain Mahela Jayawardene withheld the third block of overs on surfaces that tended to slow down progressively. These occasions were, however, rare. Element of surprise Badrinath feels passing the onus to the batting side for one of the Power Play overs forced the fielding captain to be on his toes. In other words, the game now had an element of surprise. “We had to be very careful about how we used the spinners. It does change the dynamics of an innings,” says Badrinath. He added the batting side generally tended to take its Power Play when it had two set batsmen at the crease. If the batting side took its Power Play after the mandatory ball change — at the completion of the 34th over — the harder ball could travel quicker off the bat, and through the infield, in the critical third phase of the innings. Badrinath is quick to add here, “If the pitch is doing a bit for the pacemen, then a harder ball would be a wicket-taking option. So the nature of the surface and the situation matter.” Battle of wits In a tense, nerve-wracking game, we could have a scenario where a batting side opts for the third block of overs in the last five overs. “It becomes a battle of wits, about how many overs your key bowlers have, how you use your field.” Badrinath enjoyed captaining the Emerging Indians in a competition that included teams from Australia, South Africa and New Zealand. He produced innings of 95 and 83 not out against the Australian Institute of Sports but India failed to qualify for the final losing a must-win game to New Zealand that was reduced to 20 overs-a-side because of rain.