Using IPL to popularize and improve domestic cricket

amits

the zonal format of domestic cricket should be removed & its time the tournaments like challenger series, deodhar trophy(50 over tournaments) & duleep trophy were removed & replaced by 50-over & 4-day tournaments involving indian squads of ipl teams. with no foreign players, it will only remain as domestic indian tournament & wont affect intl cricket at all & with IPL franchise teams playing in domestic cricket as well, the fan base & popularity for domestic cricket will also increase to some extent. the 50-over tournament can be played in 2-3 weeks when india isnt playing intl cricket & it can replace the meaningless challenger trophy & the zonal deodhar trophy. the 4-day tournament wont be having even the indian stars playing due to packed intl schdeules, but with only the indian youngsters playing, it will give them a platform to show their talent if the bcci has some brains, then they use the ipl popularity to improve the standard of domestic cricket with the 8 franchise teams playing instead of zonal teams. the city-based fan following will be there(to some extent) even in domestic matches then.

so u think we should have international players in the Ranji too?
read the post carefully. i never talked of having intl players. i just said the indian squads
replaced by 50-over & 4-day tournaments involving indian squads of ipl teams. with no foreign players, it will only remain as domestic indian tournament

I do agree that a pseudo-IPL competition needs to replace zonal Cricket and that it should run in parallel to the current Ranji Trophies to create two top Grades of cricket. In the process, I believe that small states who fail to even compete at Plate Level needs to be amalgamated into combined teams, e.g. "combined SE minor states" to compete in the Plate League. Good idea, mate!

But without International players it'll never be anywhere near as popular as IPL
i never talked about it being as popular as IPL. the international players will be missing due to packed intl schdeules. its just a domestic competition. and it just has to be more popular than the existing domestic cricket. even if the stadiums can be about 30-40% full, then this format would have done its job. in domestic cricket, very few ppl come to c that currently i am suggesting the south africa-style franchise format for domestic cricket in india with each of the 8 ipl franchises fielding a domestic indian team with indian players. with the fanchises playing, the fans will be able to identify themselves with 1 of the teams & due to this support, some of them will even go into the stadiums to support their own team
I do agree that a pseudo-IPL competition needs to replace zonal Cricket and that it should run in parallel to the current Ranji Trophies to create two top Grades of cricket.
thats what i was suggesting
and also its time domestic cricket illiterates were banned from icf.
y@ m@n. i get your point. instead of playing domestically, our domestic players can play internationally. domesticating the future national players doesn't sound promising. maybe we should internationalize them. they can grow up well-rounded and internationalized. they should also start playing against other teams. usually, if you play domestically, you just play with your local team. maybe they should start playing against different teams (like NBA, NFL, etc.). Also, they could play test match games also, instead of just playing one-day and twenty20 games. i know they are short and popular. but test cricket is the true test...hence called, test cricket. they should really create a domestic league. right now, our domesticated players play domestically in their town and don't get exposure. they should play in an actual league. we can call this 'domestic cup' or whateer. there could be some money involved. what say you?
amits... read my blog... i'm saying the same thing.... thethoughtcentre.blogspot.com (not allowed to post links as this is my first post (what a wierd rule)
i saw ur blog. ur suggestion seems to be too complicated with 16 franchise teams i was making a simpler suggestion of the 8 ipl franchise teams playing in the duleep trophy(4-day) & deodhar trophy(50-over) tournaments replacing the zonal teams. other domestic matches remain as they r with the ranji trophy still continuing. the 50-over tournament will be the feeder tournament for the ipl and with the franchise teams playing in domestic cricket, the support will be there and the youngsters will get to play in front of decent crowds in domestic cricket as well