Paarthiv Patel or Dinesh Kaarthick

Paarthiv Patel or Dinesh Kaarthick  

1. 1.

• Paarthiv Patel
    • Dinesh Kaarthick

4 years is a long time in a cricketer's career and he may well could have done a lot of work on his wicket keeping skills. Wicket keeping apart he's one of the better batsman to play for India. I couldn't believe when he was hitting the likes of Lee and Gillespie through the line and back in the 2003 test series. One poblem though these days with the young ones, they reckon they are at the top of world after a call up. A "Call up" is nothing great. To stay in the team and continue to perform is everything. I remember one of the quotes from Rahul Dravid when he was first selected. He wasn't worrying about the selection to the team, he always knew he was good enough to play for India but he didn't want to end up as yet another decent test player but wanted to scale heights. No wonder the circumspect thinking helped him heaps in his career. He pretty much knew what he wanted from his career and he's got there a while ago.

Say what you will about Karthik but the last time he played a test series, in England, he showed real courage, stamina and concentration as a batsman-wk in one series than some other far more talented cricketers have shown me all their careers ( I won't mention who because I don't want to make the fanboys cry ). What do I mean by that? Look back to the difference between Karthik from the 1st to 2nd test and onwards. You'll know what I mean. But if you don't know, then you don't need to know.

Karthik scored 58 in the tour match Karthik sealed his spot for the first Test with a patient, unbeaten 58. More... Sri Lanka Board XI v Indians, tour match, Colombo, 2nd day India struggle despite Tendulkar and Karthik Cricinfo staff July 19, 2008 Indians 196 for 8 (Tendulkar 69, Karthik 58*) trail Sri Lanka Board XI 224 by 28 runs Scorecard 361762.jpg Sachin Tendulkar made 69 from just 76 balls, but the rest of the top order didn't have much to shout about © AFP Sachin Tendulkar and Dinesh Karthik were the only batsmen to get meaningful practice ahead of the first Test, as the rest of the Indians fell cheaply on the second day of the tour game against Sri Lanka Board XI. Tendulkar top-scored with 69, while Karthik sealed his spot for the first Test with a patient, unbeaten 58, but none of the others got among the runs as the Indians closed the day on 196 for 8, still 28 behind the Board XI total. Wet weather delayed the start in the morning, and no play was possible before lunch. When the game did get underway, the Indians suffered an early setback as Rahul Dravid was run out for 5. Virender Sehwag got a start, but was trapped in front by Rangana Herath, the left-arm spinner, for 27. It got worse for the Indians soon after when Dammika Prasad, the right-arm medium-pacer, dismissed Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman in the same over - Laxman was hit-wicket for a second-ball duck - to have them struggling at 80 for 5. Tendulkar and Karthik then repaired the damaged partially with a 62-run sixth-wicket stand. Tendulkar made a brisk 69, hitting eight fours and a six in the 76 deliveries he faced, before falling to Seekkuge Prasanna, a 23-year-old legspinner. Karthik was far more circumspect, with just six fours in 105 balls, but he was the only other Indian batsman to play more than 50 deliveries. With Harbhajan Singh, he added 30 for the seventh wicket, but both Harbhajan and Zaheer Khan were dismissed just before close of play. Prasad, who has played three one-day internationals for Sri Lanka, was the most successful bowler, finishing with figures of 3 for 30.