Pietersen,an all time great:Michael Atherton

It is quite tempting to brand KP as an all-time great. The man has a very good record,50 plus in Test and 45 plus in LOI. And while he clearly has not played a lot of cricket he has played enough(40 plus test and 75 plus LOI). Plus he has been very consistent against most opposition so yes he is a potential all-time great. I would of course not put him besides SRT or Lara or Richards yet but he can get there if he plays like this for a couple of more years.

btw, here is Dileep Premachandran's WORLD XI from the TIMES also::: 1. Sunil Gavaskar 2. Gordon Greenidge 3. Vivian Richard 4. Sachin Tendulkar 5. Brian Lara: 6. Imran Khan: 7. Adam Gilchrist: 8. Shane Warne: 9. Wasim Akram 10. Malcolm Marshall: 11. Glenn McGrath: 4 West Indians, 3 Aussies, 2 Pakis and 2 Indians. Fair call? http://timesonline.typepad.com/the_doosra/2008/07/my-world-xi.html also, how come i don't see Lankans in world 11 EVER? Aren't Murali, Sanath, Sangakara, good enough players to cut it?

Lurker' date=' quality of bowling also needs to take in to consideration.. no?[/quote'] That would become subjective then Dan. Yes quality of bowling matters but in the end one can only compare players of the same era. If you compare KP with others(say Ponting, MoYo etc) he is certainly as good what with close to 50 in both format. Most likely better than MoYo and even better than Ponting since KP faces better bowling than RP does. I would still put him behind SRT, Lara, Dravid of our times but the man is getting up slowly but surely.
also' date=' how come i don't see Lankans in world 11 EVER? Aren't Murali, Sanath, Sangakara, good enough players to cut it?[/quote'] Thats because the list is made by TIMES writers/contributors and they have gone by the players they have seen in action. Most of these, exluding the likes of DP, are English scribes and so obviously their selection has been affected by how players have performed in County cricket etc. I suppose such effort to pick XI is never conclusive. Better idea would be to pick two All-time XIs to play against each other. That way most greats would get selected
Thats because the list is made by TIMES writers/contributors and they have gone by the players they have seen in action. Most of these, exluding the likes of DP, are English scribes and so obviously their selection has been affected by how players have performed in County cricket etc. I suppose such effort to pick XI is never conclusive. Better idea would be to pick two All-time XIs to play against each other. That way most greats would get selected
I don't know how you rate Steve Waugh.But do find it strange that he's not even discussed while selecting these World X1's. btw...Do hate these selections.
Any one who visited there must have read it...please don't hijack the OP
hahaha....no hijacking here....since atherton is talking abt KP being one of the greatest, i thought i would put forward the list of the greatest by dileep...but probably should have made a new thread....sorry bro..
I don't know how you rate Steve Waugh.But do find it strange that he's not even discussed while selecting
I do rate Steve Waugh very high. Much higher than Ricky Ponting. In the recent 2-3 decades Steve Waugh would probably be my pick as the 2nd best Aussie batsman, the best being Alan Border. Both these two gents - Waugh and Border - stats shall pale infront of a Hussey or a Ponting but they scored when they mattered the most.
That would become subjective then Dan. Yes quality of bowling matters but in the end one can only compare players of the same era. If you compare KP with others(say Ponting, MoYo etc) he is certainly as good what with close to 50 in both format. Most likely better than MoYo and even better than Ponting since KP faces better bowling than RP does. I would still put him behind SRT, Lara, Dravid of our times but the man is getting up slowly but surely.
Yes...he's far better than Yousuf and Ponting.But to make a judgement on him as one of the greats of all time is immature.
I do rate Steve Waugh very high. Much higher than Ricky Ponting. In the recent 2-3 decades Steve Waugh would probably be my pick as the 2nd best Aussie batsman' date=' the best being Alan Border. Both these two gents - Waugh and Border - stats shall pale infront of a Hussey or a Ponting but they scored when they mattered the most.[/quote'] no doubt waugh was class act in tests, but in ODI he was mediocre at best!!!
They are in a hurry to christen him all time great before he falters and finds himself in the queue of mediocres..
Can't think of him being in that category...has been performing consistently for the last three years and there's nothing to suggest that he'll falter.