He still hasnt given up!

Ram

"Fitness is a relative term. I mean to say that it does not necessarily mean that one who runs hard and lifts weights is fit. Cricketing fitness is different. So if you can perform, it means you are fit." - Sourav Ganguly provides his unique take on what constitutes fitness

Nothing wrong with what he said there. Cricket fitness is completely different from the usual concept of fitness which is bandied around so often - ie; the kind associated with lifting weights, building shredded muscles or having the stamina to run long distances. I have that second kind of fitness, but would i be able to bat 40 overs in the heat of the subcontinent during summer-time ? Definitely not. Guys like Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman hobble between the wickets but they have immense powers of concentration, ample skill and they can play long innings - they may not be gym-fit in the way i am, but they are in peak condition to play test cricket at the highest level. Look at guys like Shane Watson - the man is built like a brick sh ithouse; definitely gym-fit, but he has had an awful record with injuries since he first emerged in '02. He took a while to make it because he lacked the skills and that's what the sport is all about - skill. Being gym-fit won't help you play a mean cover-drive.

The point isnt about the technicalities of what the term 'fitness' means. Its about a man who continues to openly campaign for his place in the ODI side, in an unabashed, relentless manner, despite knowing the fact that its a policy decision of the current team management and the selection committee to leave out older players. Every time Ganguly makes one of these press statements, its akin to him questioning the collective wisdom of people like Dhoni, Kirsten and the entire selection committee. Ironically, if people like Bhajji and Yuvraj make on-and-off statements about their place in the team, they get roundly criticized. But if Ganguly resorts to the same, most people resort to stoic silence. Why the double standards?

I suppose in cricket, endurance is a key factor. Batting wise, fitness might not appear that important but during fielding especially in the outfield, it will show. You cant be a liability on the field in the modern era. Recently, I played two t20 matches back to back and it was taxing even when I didnt bowl. Simply standing in the field for 5 hours can be a lot on the body. I didnt drink anything so I was dehydrated at the end and felt dizzy:D

The point isnt about the technicalities of what the term 'fitness' means. Its about a man who continues to openly campaign for his place in the ODI side, in an unabashed, relentless manner, despite knowing the fact that its a policy decision of the current team management and the selection committee to leave out older players. Every time Ganguly makes one of these press statements, its akin to him questioning the collective wisdom of people like Dhoni, Kirsten and the entire selection committee. Ironically, if people like Bhajji and Yuvraj make on-and-off statements about their place in the team, they get roundly criticized. But if Ganguly resorts to the same, most people resort to stoic silence. Why the double standards?
Because, he is a "fighter". :hysterical:
Ironically' date=' if people like Bhajji and Yuvraj make on-and-off statements about their place in the team, they get roundly criticized. But if Ganguly resorts to the same, most people resort to stoic silence. Why the double standards?[/quote'] Errr, my guess is because; 1. Ganguly has been India's best batsman in Test cricket since making his comeback --> http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=99673 2. The last time he played a full year of ODI cricket for India, he scored 1240 runs at an average of 44.28. He isn't good enough to play ahead of Sehwag and Gambhir but if you were putting up numbers like that, you can't be blamed for thinking that you have a place in that squad. Ganguly played much better in ODIs than Yuvraj/Bhajji did in Tests, no doubt about that
Errr, my guess is because; 1. Ganguly has been India's best batsman in Test cricket since making his comeback --> http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=99673
Irrelevant, talking about ODI cricket here.
2. The last time he played a full year of ODI cricket for India' date=' he scored 1240 runs at an average of 44.28. He isn't good enough to play ahead of Sehwag and Gambhir but if you were putting up numbers like that, you can't be blamed for thinking that you have a place in that squad. Ganguly played much better in ODIs than Yuvraj/Bhajji did in Tests, no doubt about that[/quote'] The response to your post lies in your post itself. Simply put, given the availability of Sachin, Sehwag and Gambhir, there is quite frankly, no place for Ganguly in the ODI side, unless of course, he magically agrees to play in the middle-order or something. Stuart McGill was was probably the second best leg-spinner of his time, after Shane Warne. But he didnt find a place in the team, as long Warne was around. Did he go around continuously moaning about how he should have been in the team? If there is no place for you in the team, which is what is Ganguly's current situation, you just shut up and let your performances speak for you. You dont come up with one press statement after another, talking about how the current team management's thinking is wrong. And worse, just imagine what kind of impact all these gung-ho statements will have on the team atmosphere, especially when Ganguly and Dhoni are playing in tests. Ganguly is essentially questioning the decision making capabilities of Dhoni here, given that how the whole world knows it was Dhoni's call to get in a young team.
Stuart McGill was was probably the second best leg-spinner of his time, after Shane Warne. But he didnt find a place in the team, as long Warne was around. Did he go around continuously moaning about how he should have been in the team? If there is no place for you in the team, which is what is Ganguly's current situation, you just shut up and let your performances speak for you. You dont come up with one press statement after another, talking about how the current team management's thinking is wrong. And worse, just imagine what kind of impact all these gung-ho statements will have on the team atmosphere, especially when Ganguly and Dhoni are playing in tests. Ganguly is essentially questioning the decision making capabilities of Dhoni here, given that how the whole world knows it was Dhoni's call to get in a young team.
Stuart McGill is not an Indian...:haha: You can't compare the professionalism of a foreigner with the sense of entitlement that is always felt by an Indian. I was answering your question as to why Yuvraj and others are criticized for making statements in the media re; team selection and why Ganguly isn't (on this forum anyway - he gets it everywhere else). It's obvious that Ganguly has a far better case than those guys have because he had a good record when he last played for India. That's why i am finding it hard to criticise him. Sure, Yuvraj looks foolish saying that he wants to play tests because he averages 33 over a 25-test long career. You can't say that about Ganguly, who was always a good ODI batsman for India. And leaving all this aside, everyone who knows something about Indian cricket knows that Saurav Ganguly has always spoken his mind. So, what exactly do you find surprising ?

Nothing wrong with 'speaking your mind', except when its done regardless of the ramifications it may or may not have. Ganguly's campaign for a place in the ODI side should be done on the cricket pitch, not through the media. Who here is denying him the right to stake his place in the ODI side? No one, he is entitled to fight for a place in whatever team he wants to get into. But the WAY he has gone about is pathetic and worth condemning, using every available platform to essentially criticize the team management and selection committee. And your reference to Ganguly being an Indian is definitely amusing. Is that an excuse for being unprofessional?

And your reference to Ganguly being an Indian is definitely amusing. Is that an excuse for being unprofessional?
It's not an excuse, it's an observation. Indian cricketers aren't professional enough to know when their game is up. That's how it's always been, it's almost as if it's part of their mental make-up. Ganguly's isn't an isolated case. You are being naive by expecting an Indian cricketer to act professionally. A guy like Ganguly will try to play 'til his legs fall off. Anyway, i don't see anything wrong with a bit of competition, it's good for the team and keeps players on their toes
Stuart McGill is not an Indian...:haha: You can't compare the professionalism of a foreigner with the sense of entitlement that is always felt by an Indian. I was answering your question as to why Yuvraj and others are criticized for making statements in the media re; team selection and why Ganguly isn't (on this forum anyway - he gets it everywhere else). It's obvious that Ganguly has a far better case than those guys have because he had a good record when he last played for India. That's why i am finding it hard to criticise him. Sure, Yuvraj looks foolish saying that he wants to play tests because he averages 33 over a 25-test long career. You can't say that about Ganguly, who was always a good ODI batsman for India. And leaving all this aside, everyone who knows something about Indian cricket knows that Saurav Ganguly has always spoken his mind. So, what exactly do you find surprising ?
Part 1: Yuvraj was criticized for saying he wants to be a (ODI/T-20) captain one day, which apparently leads to bad vibes between Dhoni and him, when they play together. Similarly, Ganguly wants to be in ODI team, and clearly Dhoni doesn't want him to be there. This creates bad vibes between them when they play together in test team. Note, that in both cases, apparently both Yuvraj and Ganguly have a decent case, and there non-appointment is more due to a policy decision than JUST their performances . Yuvraj had very strong batting credentials prior to Dhoni being named captain, and was definitely one of the front runners for captaincy. Similarly, ganguly played well in ODIs before being dropped. So their cases are similar on these parameters, as in they are going against a POLICY decision of the team management, and hence, ought to be criticized(or not) similarly. Part 2: Yuvraj's non-inclusion in test team though, is based on his sub-par performance. He has every right to say he wants to play test cricket, and if he improves, Dhoni would be the first one to include him in the team (atleast I hope so..o_O). Any player who is dropped for non performance has the right to feel bad about it and say that he want to get back into the team. He shouldn't be cricticized for it.
"Fitness is a relative term. I mean to say that it does not necessarily mean that one who runs hard and lifts weights is fit. Cricketing fitness is different. So if you can perform, it means you are fit." - Sourav Ganguly provides his unique take on what constitutes fitness
surprise surprise another anti ganguly thread by a non achieving couch potato [marirs mania] it amazes me irrelevant guys like the OP can have the cheek to belittle the greatest indian captain for issues like his views on fitness anyway for all ur barking his record as indias greatest captain will stay and most likely remainfor a long time:finger:
surprise surprise another anti ganguly thread by a non achieving couch potato [marirs mania] it amazes me irrelevant guys like the OP can have the cheek to belittle the greatest indian captain for issues like his views on fitness anyway for all ur barking his record as indias greatest captain will stay and most likely remainfor a long time:finger:
What? :hysterical: We might as well shut down ICF now.. nobody is "relevant enough" or has achieved as much in cricketing terms as Ganguly to dispute him:cantstop: :haha::haha::haha::haha:
Part 1: Yuvraj was criticized for saying he wants to be a (ODI/T-20) captain one day, which apparently leads to bad vibes between Dhoni and him, when they play together. Similarly, Ganguly wants to be in ODI team, and clearly Dhoni doesn't want him to be there. This creates bad vibes between them when they play together in test team. Note, that in both cases, apparently both Yuvraj and Ganguly have a decent case, and there non-appointment is more due to a policy decision than JUST their performances . Yuvraj had very strong batting credentials prior to Dhoni being named captain, and was definitely one of the front runners for captaincy. Similarly, ganguly played well in ODIs before being dropped. So their cases are similar on these parameters, as in they are going against a POLICY decision of the team management, and hence, ought to be criticized(or not) similarly. Part 2: Yuvraj's non-inclusion in test team though, is based on his sub-par performance. He has every right to say he wants to play test cricket, and if he improves, Dhoni would be the first one to include him in the team (atleast I hope so..o_O). Any player who is dropped for non performance has the right to feel bad about it and say that he want to get back into the team. He shouldn't be cricticized for it.
apparently it seems if someone says i do not want u here..u will just go away without a protest even if ur deserving.that is horseshit simply.dhoni doesn't want ganguly..so does it mean that ganguly will give up his hope ..of course not..he can hope and wish to come back..dhoni as long as he remains at helm can keep him out and when his LUCK and youth passes away..he will be chucked by the roadside ..as u sow so u reap

He has a point... except if you are a fast bowler, cricket, as compared to some other outdoor sports is quite sedantary. which explains why blokes like david boom, merv hughes etc were particularly successful. however, there is nothing wrong in being the guy who runs miles and lifts weights...

Because' date=' he is a "fighter". :hysterical:[/quote'] y r u laughing? the man is respected...ppl like U TRY to bring him down.. but not gonna happen man led the team for years and won places indian team had never dreamed about winning at your little poster boy u r so proud off... has done squat compared to what this man has done for indian cricket ;)
Nothing wrong with 'speaking your mind', except when its done regardless of the ramifications it may or may not have. Ganguly's campaign for a place in the ODI side should be done on the cricket pitch, not through the media. Who here is denying him the right to stake his place in the ODI side? No one, he is entitled to fight for a place in whatever team he wants to get into. But the WAY he has gone about is pathetic and worth condemning, using every available platform to essentially criticize the team management and selection committee. And your reference to Ganguly being an Indian is definitely amusing. Is that an excuse for being unprofessional?
its just another lame interview... soem dude prob begged him to answer some qs so he can get paid.. so dada gave him some answerson how he defines fitness...:-D not big... we at icf r waiting for tests to get started, and r just posting anything we can find to pass time :icflove: