Now this is ugly

Gavaskar responds to ponting... I wudnt want sunny to get on to this cheap verbal fight.. it questions the maturity now.. though i like the reply, but it looks cheap esp "get whacked in a bar" I think raping ozs in the matches wud be a fitting reply to tht rude bast@rd Aussies could get whacked in a bar' - Gavaskar Cricinfo staff March 12, 2007 Sunil Gavaskar delivered a strong retort in what was the latest in his media-driven verbal-joust with Australia's captain Ricky Ponting. In a scathing reaction, Gavaskar said a "hot head guy" might actually whack the Australian cricketers if they dared replicate their on-field behaviour in a bar. It all began last week with Gavaskar terming Australia's on-field behaviour as "awful" in a column for India Today magazine. Ponting felt it was "high and mighty" of Gavaskar to complain, considering "the way India have played their cricket over the last few years". "Some day, some other hot head guy might actually get down and you know whack somebody who abuses him," Gavaskar said in his latest reaction on ESPN. He cited the example of former Australian cricketer David Hookes, who had been fatally beaten up outside a bar."There's the example of the late David Hookes. Would the Australians who use that kind of language on the field, and not all of them do, in a bar and would they get away with it? Would they have a fist coming at their face or not?" He also defended his decision to walk out of the MCG in protest against an lbw decision in 1981, an incident that Ponting had alluded to while reacting to Gavaskar's statements on on-field behaviour. "The reason the walk off took place was simply because I was abused by the Australians. Let me also come back to what he [Ponting] said about, the way I played my cricket and I do not know what he's looking at. "When he talks about the Indian team not having won matches, we are not talking about winning matches here, we are talking about behavior on the field," he said. He drew a comparison between the Australians and the West Indies side of the 1970s and '80s, adding that the players from the Caribbean were more popular champions. "The West Indians were popular winners, there was an affection about the West Indians players in spite of the fact that they were beating you in three days. They [West Indies] did not abuse the opponents. They did not have anything to say to the opponents. When they were dominating world cricket the West Indians did not resort to personal abuse on the field, they just played the game hard, they were very tough competitors but there was nothing untoward in their behaviour towards their opponents. "West Indian players always had a smile on their face when they came in at the end of day's play to talk with you and to commiserate when you lost, you could see that there was no arrogance there. Cricket lovers all over the world wanted the West Indies teams to get back on their feet and start winning again."

Re: Now this is ugly

He also defended his decision to walk out of the MCG in protest against an lbw decision in 1981, an incident that Ponting had alluded to while reacting to Gavaskar's statements on on-field behaviour. "The reason the walk off took place was simply because I was abused by the Australians. Let me also come back to what he [Ponting] said about, the way I played my cricket and I do not know what he's looking at. "When he talks about the Indian team not having won matches, we are not talking about winning matches here, we are talking about behavior on the field," he said. He drew a comparison between the Australians and the West Indies side of the 1970s and '80s, adding that the players from the Caribbean were more popular champions. "The West Indians were popular winners, there was an affection about the West Indians players in spite of the fact that they were beating you in three days. They [West Indies] did not abuse the opponents. They did not have anything to say to the opponents. When they were dominating world cricket the West Indians did not resort to personal abuse on the field, they just played the game hard, they were very tough competitors but there was nothing untoward in their behaviour towards their opponents. "West Indian players always had a smile on their face when they came in at the end of day's play to talk with you and to commiserate when you lost, you could see that there was no arrogance there. Cricket lovers all over the world wanted the West Indies teams to get back on their feet and start winning again."
exactly. When Ponting went on about the winning matches thing, that was a cheap shot Gavaskar wasnt talking about winning or losing matches, he was talking about behaviour. Ponting obv had no reply to that, so he tried to give a cheap shot. B@stard.

Re: Now this is ugly It's probably too hard to use their brains for the convicts, after all, abusing and sledging in poor language is the sign of not being clever enough to express ones feelings in a funny way. I wouldn't be too hard on them, it's probably genetic. What's even sadder is how many people admire this lack of quality and education.

Re: Now this is ugly No need to trample on the grave of a dead man ( David Hookes). Gavasker should have refrained from the bar comment. Rest of his comments are a good retort. BTW, this Gavasker is no saint ether. At least punter was liked by his teammates. Can the same thing be said about Sunny , Ask kapil.

K_R, Sunny and Kapil had Ego issues..happens with all top performers...although both have mentioned in their autobiographies that it was mostly media created... Even Ponting had an issues with Warne..
Exactly. ...even Tendulkar had issues with Azhar. Can't hold it against him though.

K_R, Sunny and Kapil had Ego issues..happens with all top performers...although both have mentioned in their autobiographies that it was mostly media created... Even Ponting had an issues with Warne..
Exactly. ...even Tendulkar had issues with Azhar. Can't hold it against him though.
Tendulkar's issues with Azhar was because of Azhar's match fixing. He is justified to be peeved with Azhar.