Chucking Cricket

triam

Mendis's action is very similar to some players who play 'chucking cricket' in and around chennai. For people who dont know it is the same instead of bowling, bowlers stand and chuck with a tennis ball, this version of the game is highly skewed towards the bowlers, and they do really really fancy stuff with the ball. The point I am trying to make is to use these chuckers as net bowlers to get used to the action of Mendis, people from chennai will know what iam talking about. Does this make sense or am I missing something

Well, I have seen/played 100s of hours of tennis ball cricket with the same players you are talking about and I have NEVER seen anyone with the kind of variations that Mendis has. Sure, they chuck the ball from an uncomfortable range at a decent pace, making it that bit harder to face them, but no one can match Mendis for his guile, variation in flight and variety.

Mendis's action is very similar to some players who play 'chucking cricket' in and around chennai. For people who dont know it is the same instead of bowling, bowlers stand and chuck with a tennis ball, this version of the game is highly skewed towards the bowlers, and they do really really fancy stuff with the ball. The point I am trying to make is to use these chuckers as net bowlers to get used to the action of Mendis, people from chennai will know what iam talking about. Does this make sense or am I missing something
Are you fancying playing for India/CSK ? :giggle:

I dont know how prevalent this type of cricket is outside of Chennai, but in chennai suburbs it used to be a bigg deal, Robin, Cheeka, Sadagopan Ramesh all used to play on and off in these tournaments. And believe me, there are some chuckers who once in a while bamboozle these guys in those tournaments.

Yeah, but the thing about the tennis ball is that the balls drifts the opposite direction to which it spins, so you can pick up the direction of spin even if you missed it from the hand. Its very good for "swing" bowling though.