Charmed vs Uncharmed

Guest BossBhai

Brilliant post. There was a point made earlier though, Boss, about 3rd umps missing faint nicks if the batsman concerned doesn't walk. Why not go the whole hog and bring in the snicko?
First, Dhondy, the system has just started and will only get better. Second, if the batsman knows that there is a nick, he wont challenge it in most cases as he will never be sure how its going to look in the replays. They will run a risk of getting caught in the replay and earn the badwill of the captain and fans. Imagine what a batsman will look like if the world comes to know that he willfully wasted one appeal out of only three. He will be immediately under the hammer. Third, technology is not going to be the decider, it will be the helper. In case of an nick, if the umpire is convinced and the batsman challenged, the umpire will use technology and if technology does not give conclusive proof that there was no nick, he will stick to his original decision. Technology should be only used to give the umpire enough reason to change his decision. If technology does not offer anything conclusive, the umpire must stick to his original decision.

man-you old timers are something.charming and uncharming?-hehe ,seriously ,what the heck?.you guys will be the first guys to cry foul when india are given the shaft in the next series without the referral system. this is the first series its being tried and obbiuosly it has teething problems but way better than the umpires getting away with horrendous decisions. nobody can complain in this series about umpires now-you win and lose on your ability and that's how it should be-**** the charming ****.

Referral system any time. I would also bring a referral system for appealing 5 senseless shouts (like the ones Karthik was doing today - even Harbhajan, bless him, was too embarrassed to appeal; or like the Ambrose-Panesar St. Vitus dance ) and the opposing team gets an extra batsman.

>Third, technology is not going to be the decider, it will be the helper. In case of an nick, if the umpire is convinced and the batsman challenged, the umpire will use technology and if technology does not give conclusive proof that there was no nick, he will stick to his original decision. No its not. For example, in first test on field umpire, I think it was Benson gave out to Dilshan, when he must have heard a nick/woody sound, so he gave out. The batsman did not think he nicked it and challenged the decision, it went upstairs, the third umpire could not tell conclusively, and overturned the decison. So you see third umpire has final say.

Was following the 2 Test series happening simultaneously Eng vs SAF and SL vs Ind .... the former being supposedly a case of how charming a game can be if umpires are allowed a free reign ..... and the latter a case of how un-charming it is to let the idiot box intervene in matters .... Righto then .... Smith the lone warrior in SA victory was let off twice - which he wouldnt have been had England opted to go the un-charming way of doing things - and promptly went on to win the match single handedly which has now resulted not only in a bad series loss but also has opened up a huge can of worms in its aftermath with Eng Captain resigning (tears and all) and no apparant reasonable heir in sight to fill his boots. Brilliant. PPS: Anybody here feel as excited as me when the review is in progress live ?)
fair points but the bold part is quite debatable. Lets look at the 2 chances that you are talking about 1- LBW appeal of the bowling of Panesar- Smith was struck well outside the off stump and it would have been impossible for the umpire to be 100% sure that it would have hit the stumps so its highly unlikely that the not out decision would have changed. 2- Catch of the glove- Ball certainly did hit the glove but no one noticed. IIRC Ambrose didn't even appeal for that so i don't think they would have wasted a challenge on that.

cowboysfan, I dont know who you meant, but just to clarify, incase you think I am advocating "charm" - that was just a joke comment to people who say charm is affected becos of this technology introduction. I am one of the hardcore advocates of maximum technology assistance for umpiring.

fair points but the bold part is quite debatable. Lets look at the 2 chances that you are talking about 1- LBW appeal of the bowling of Panesar- Smith was struck well outside the off stump and it would have been impossible for the umpire to be 100% sure that it would have hit the stumps so its highly unlikely that the not out decision would have changed. 2- Catch of the glove- Ball certainly did hit the glove but no one noticed. IIRC Ambrose didn't even appeal for that so i don't think they would have wasted a challenge on that.
It was hitting the middle stump and I dont think Smith was playing a shot. There have been few decisions that have gone against Eng since Day 1 of the 1st test.

Excellent points Boss & Domaink. Dhondy, a while ago, I heard that it may take up to 5 mins, for the snicko to arrive, in some instances. Given this unpredictable delay, snicko may not be usable in the review system yet. Even without the snicko, howlers such as the ones witnessed at Sydney could be avoided with the current system. The LBW still is a bit vague though. We have seen a few inconsistencies already on this. But I'll take this over the inconsistencies in conventional umpiring. I expect the Aussies to be impacted the most (negatively), by the review system.

Excellent points Boss & Domaink. Dhondy, a while ago, I heard that it may take up to 5 mins, for the snicko to arrive, in some instances. Given this unpredictable delay, snicko may not be usable in the review system yet. Even without the snicko, howlers such as the ones witnessed at Sydney could be avoided with the current system. The LBW still is a bit vague though. We have seen a few inconsistencies already on this. But I'll take this over the inconsistencies in conventional umpiring. I expect the Aussies to be impacted the most (negatively), by the review system.
care to explain ,sir?