One Day squad to Sri Lanka

Feed

This was article this morning: According to The Telegraph’s sources, Dilip Vengsarkar and his colleagues aren’t sure only about who should take Yusuf Pathan’s place. Irfan’s elder brother made it to the last two tournaments — tri-series in Bangladesh and the Asia Cup in Pakistan — but didn’t make an impression. By the way, we lost in both finals. The selectors, who will be meeting in Mumbai on Thursday afternoon, may pick a 16th player (possibly a second ’keeper in Parthiv Patel) exclusively for the ODIs in Sri Lanka. As of late Wednesday, Sachin Tendulkar, Harbhajan Singh and Zaheer Khan were set to make a comeback. Robin Uthappa, Piyush Chawla and Manpreet Singh Gony face the axe. Injuries kept Sachin and Zaheer away from recent ODIs — both have been featuring in the ongoing Test series — while Harbhajan missed the last tri-series and the Asia Cup as the tournaments were held during the period he was banned for slapping Sreesanth. Chawla, however, could keep his place if captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni asks for him and the selectors pick the youngster for that 15th slot. Apparently, Subramaniam Badrinath and Virat Kohli are also in contention for that one position. “Much will depend on the combination the captain wants,†one of the sources pointed out. The 14 certainties (as of late Wednesday): Sachin, Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh (vice-captain), Gautam Gambhir, Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma; Dhoni (captain); Irfan Pathan; Harbhajan Singh, Pragyan Ojha; Zaheer Khan, Rudra Pratap Singh, Ishant Sharma and Praveen Kumar. Sreesanth isn’t being talked about, as “nobody†is quite sure about his fitness. Meanwhile, owing to a change in plan, chief selector Vengsarkar won’t be coming here for the series-deciding Test. So: Gony, Uthappa, Chawla(apparently Dhoni didn't ask for him)axed Sreesanth still unfit or nobody is sure--this raises the question as what his injury is, why did the NCA physio declare him fit and who declared him unfit after that! Badrinath was discussed but perhaps Dhoni wanted Kohli more:omg: Wonder when we'll have transparent selections where one can easily explain the selection of every player to common public!!

Indeed, this is unacceptable. He was sent to the NCA and yet the BCCI cannot get a straight answer. It should be predetermined that Sreesanth, being a fast bowler with the potential to bowl very quickly, is only useful at 100% fitness and so the NCA need to simply inform the BCCI whether this is the case.

Virat Kohli has shown glimpses of his talent in the IPL, and for those watched the u-19 WC might remember the 74 ball 100 he scored against the WI, an attacking batsman when groomed properly might develop into one of the finest talents we ever produce, sorry abt badri well he has sone almost everything but get an international berth

As a general rule' date=' I'm not going to doubt the ODI selection as it's probably heavily influenced by Dhoni and his success in that format buys a lot of latitude from me.[/quote'] Got to (grudgingly) agree there - Dhoni seems to have a knack for picking talent and believes in "his" players - it reminds me of Imran Khan's instincts. That said, I am surprised that he wasn't impressed with Badrinath's batting and fielding abilities in the IPL. IIRC, Badrinath did very well on both counts. MSD publicly praised Badrinath at least one time for his commitment, but doesn't seem to think enough of him to ask for him over an unproven commodity like Kohli. His subjective selection method will win praise as long as the team is winning; once the team starts to falter a little, it could trigger unrest and accusations of "playing favorites." I feel bad for Badrinath, but as long as the CSKs up his $$$ to where he can make a good living, it is nothing for us to feel terrible; this is unlike the time when the only way these guys could make a good living from cricket was to get a national contract. Times have-a-changed for the better.
is badrinath a good player of spin?.virat kohli is too young and not experienced enough to handle M&m imo.
I guess it is moot now :-(. Regardless, I'd be surprised if Kohli makes it into the Final XI. With Sehwag, Gambhir, Tendulkar, Yuvraj, Rania, R. Sharma, Dhoni plus your selection of bowlers, it is difficult to see him fit in.