The man who destroyed Australia at Perth in 1991

There are quite a few here who fancy their knowledge of cricket history, and if any of them clicked this topic, I bet they'd have expected something on Curtly Ambrose. But what of the Other Destroyer - a man who defended a paltry 208 run target by slicing through Australia in a brilliant spell of 5/15 in 6.5 overs in 1991? This WAS the pacer's paradise, after all. A fast, bouncy wicket where quick bowlers could run riot. Except that Ravi Shastri wasn't quick. He was tall, bowled the odd delivery with relative pace for a left arm tweaker, but got significant bounce while extracting what he could from the deck. I was just watching his spell of 6.5-1-15-5 in this ODI - http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1991-92/OD_TOURNEYS/WSC/IND_AUS_WSC_ODI2_08DEC1991.html - on an old tape of mine, and it never ceases to amaze me just how much fight Shastri had in him. He came on to bowl against a high quality, combative lower order aiming to mount a comeback after early wickets had fallen to Kapil, Banerjee and Srinath. Instead he varied his pace slyly, kept pegging away with military accuracy and focus on line and length, and refused the Aussies even an inch. And meanwhile, wickets began to fall - to prods and attempts to score off this seemingly innocuous trundler. A stats wiz like shwetabh, varun or Boss could probably tell me which bowlers have better ODI bowling figures at the WACA and against which opponents. I'm sure the list isn't long. And there would be very few spinners populating it. How is it that Shastri - never one of the more celebrated bowlers in India's history - produced such a spell to emerge with truly spectacular figures on a ground unhelpful to so many spinners? Most strangely, how is it that the WACA ground at Perth was home to this one feat of his - a career best in limited overs bowling, and his best bowling figures in all international matches? And why is it that this feat - a five-for at the WACA, a matchwinning haul and a performance to help defend a low 200-odd total - is collecting so much dust and out of so many people's memories?

How is it that Shastri - never one of the more celebrated bowlers in India's history - produced such a spell to emerge with truly spectacular figures on a ground unhelpful to so many spinners? Most strangely' date=' how is it that the WACA ground at Perth was home to this one feat of his - a career best in limited overs bowling, and his best bowling figures in all international matches? And why is it that this feat - a five-for at the WACA, a matchwinning haul and a performance to help defend a low 200-odd total - is collecting so much dust and out of so many people's memories?[/quote'] Too much cricket. Forget 5 wickets, I have even started to lose memories of 7 wicket hauls now. However to your match, this would most likely be the best bowling display by an Indian till then. Kapil's 5-43 against Australia in 1983 was the best for a while and I would be surprised if there was another 5 wicket haul that was better than Shastri, in terms of runs. That it came at WACA makes it even more special. Speaking of Shastri I always liked his bowling. He had a very leisurely walk and his main weapon was his armer, the one that came into a right hander. He overdid it towards the end but it was quite good for a while. Extremely good player, unfortunately will never be considered in All Time Indian XI(LOI or Test)..actually not even in 2nd XI..and thats a shame really. He is a good example of what stats can not tell you about a player.
Extremely good player' date=' unfortunately will never be considered in All Time Indian XI(LOI or Test)..actually not even in 2nd XI..and thats a shame really. He is a good example of what stats can not tell you about a player.[/quote'] Yup. Shastri was a real fighter - the sort of guy you'd expect to be the last man down if he got into a brawl. A much more limited batsman and bowler than so many of his contemporaries, but he achieved just as much through a combination of that Mumbai khadoos character, grit and sheer determination. Interesting how he seemed to save his very best for the Australian fans, btw. In 85 he had an outstanding series and finished as the player of the World Championship of Cricket, and in 91/92 he had his moments with the ball - and later ground out that double hundred at Sydney, a knock that should have set up a test match win but for some dodgy umpiring and AB's doggedness. Boss: Thanks. What an impact at a pace bowlers' ground! Sriram: Read the fking scorecards. Pred: He must have been warming up for his marathons in the tests. :D Although he and Srikkanth made a pretty decent opening combo - between them, they had an average opener's mentality (for that day and age). :--D Cheeka's knock in this game btw was really fun to watch, as he relied on Shastri providing dour solidity down at one end and thus had the freedom to throw his bat and really upset the bowlers down the other end. His dismissal though was the most memorable - one of the best set up slower balls I've seen from SRW that left Srikkanth playing his shot with the ball barely having travelled half the pitch, and causing a massive miscue.
Cheeka's knock in this game btw was really fun to watch' date=' as he relied on Shastri providing dour solidity down at one end and thus had the freedom to throw his bat and really upset the bowlers down the other end. His dismissal though was the most memorable - one of the best set up slower balls I've seen from SRW that left Srikkanth playing his shot with the ball barely having travelled half the pitch, and causing a massive miscue.[/quote'] Steve Waugh, to me, was the originator of slow deliveries. Atleast the potent variety and not innocuos medium pace India used to churn out. I remember once Viv Richards was belting him, Steve Waugh bowled a bouncer at him(Viv was shocked :hysterical:), then bowled a fantastic slow ball(Viv was shocked even more). After that Richards continued to belt him some more. It was fantastic. Steve Waugh was specially a good bowler in LOI.

Steve Waugh's ice cool medium pace was instrumental in Australia's 1987 WC win. Re; Shastri - his knock in the 2nd final of that same B&H tournament at Sydney was a really good one. Him and Tendulkar nearly won India the game - that would have made it 1-1. And let's not forget his role in the tied test. He was the last man standing on 48* and ensured that India wouldn't lose. He averaged 77.75 against AUS in the 9 matches he played them.

Yup. Shastri was a real fighter - the sort of guy you'd expect to be the last man down if he got into a brawl. A much more limited batsman and bowler than so many of his contemporaries, but he achieved just as much through a combination of that Mumbai khadoos character, grit and sheer determination.
So limited a batsman that I don't think he could have adapted to modern day one day cricket. Had very few shots - against fast bowlers, a flick which often go for four to fine leg, leg glance for one or two, and very rarely he used to play a cut. Towards the end of his career, he used to step back and slogl. Against the spinners, he could step out and hit the ball from straightish midon to midwicket, and this he did with a lot of success. That was about it. I can hardly remember him playing a sweep or a proper cover drive.

India had defended 126 in previous game. It was tie game. Picture this you are captain, you have 4 pacers and they have bowled out. Windies need 4-5 runs to win, 1 wicket is left. Who will you give 41st over? You have couple of options. Does anyone remember this

So limited a batsman that I don't think he could have adapted to modern day one day cricket. Had very few shots - against fast bowlers' date=' a flick which often go for four to fine leg, leg glance for one or two, and very rarely he used to play a cut. Towards the end of his career, he used to step back and slogl. Against the spinners, he could step out and hit the ball from straightish midon to midwicket, and this he did with a lot of success. That was about it. I can hardly remember him playing a sweep or a proper cover drive.[/quote'] Very similar to Imran Khan in that aspect. Shastri(or Imran) were hardly the best of batsmen from strokes perspective. I cant remember either one of them hooking or pulling, for example. The bulk of their runs would come either in the V(which meant technically they were fairly good). Also both could be the slider in the team and could bat at any position. Also both had the panache of starting exceedingly slow, often painfully, and then hit some big sixes. Most Indian fans hated Shastri for being very slow, but even they would agree that Shastri was arguably the cleanest six hitter in Indian team, not bad in a team with Kapil, Srikkant etc.
India had defended 126 in previous game. It was tie game. Picture this you are captain, you have 4 pacers and they have bowled out. Windies need 4-5 runs to win, 1 wicket is left. Who will you give 41st over? You have couple of options. Does anyone remember this
Tendulkar?

umpire - Wasn't it Tendulkar? Sreeram - agreed. He was not pretty to watch and very limited - but what he achieved with those limitations was very impressive. With those five or six shots, he still was one of the most useful and reliable openers India had in tests. Of course, in ODIs it was another matter... :D

This is Harsha Bhogle about Shastri's 187 at Oval 1990. Very accurate description of how one feels watching him bat :

Watching Shastri bat is like admiring the Qutub Minar; tall, timeless, solid. You admire it for the virtues, not for its style. For nine hours and 21 minutes, he chiselled away the England attack and the sculpture that he left behind represented perseverance and craft. There was the usual stoic, expressionless face under the helmet, but you could see the determination in his eyes as he planted himself at the wicket, struck root and bore fruit. Only occasionally, the bat wavered in its resolve but the mind put it on the right path again, almost in admonishment, and the bat grew broader and straighter ... He may never be a Gavaskar, but he at least represents the great man's virtues, even if by proxy. It would be a relief too, to know that he will never throw away his wicket for nobody guards his crease more fiercely.

Yes it was tendulkar. that match has been itched my memory ever since. I had an afternoon school. During recess we heard on radio that we were all out for 126. I did not have any hope that we can defend this. We were having terrible Test series. Remember in those days they use to play couple of tests, than ODI tournament and again back to Tests. Windies had excellent attack, Ambrose, Walsh, Cummins. When I was coming back home, we heard windies were 8 down or something and game was close. I could not wait to reach home (school rickshaw). As soon as I reached 9th wicket fell and Cummins (handy tailender) was still there. Azhar had used all his 4 pacers and now who will bowl 41st over, he can risk Ravi Shastri. so bowl was given to Sachin. He was swinging that ball a lot. I think he bowled a wide. Cummins hits him for few runs. Now crunch time. only 1 run needed, windies can't lose. Sachin bowls perfect outswinger, Cummins edges it and Azhar takes briliant catch in the slips. What a game!!! Shastri had scored hundred in this game. not of runs but off balls.

We can hear see sparks of fight in his commentary. I remember Shastri telling a story of one of his tours to Australia: In the practice game India lost badly to a local side in Australia and the match was over in half the time. Some one from CA came up to the Indian team and said something in the lines of "WIll you play another game? The audience isn't used to such level of cricket and they haven't got their money's worth." Indian went into the first match and the game was over pretty early with Shasti playing a good role in it and Indian winning. Shastri sent a written note up to the same man asking if he wanted India to play again since the audience might not have got their money's worth. The guy didnt take ****.

The pitch was bouncy fast. That guy bound to had good day. Good to see that ! Sadly, we don't have Bouncy pitches anymore. Even Imran Khan used to get curator make Bouncy pitches and dominated any team properly at home. I really miss Bouncy pitch. PCB better make bouncy pitches when India tours in Pakistan which is likely gonna happen after Champion Trophy i believe

I actually watched that match live. It was during the first round of the CB series and after we had tied with WI in our first match, also at Perth, defending 130 odd, gave high hopes for the upcoming season with the WC at the end. It just went all downhill from here. But coming back to the performance it was nothing really great. The Australian top 5 had already been dismissed for 50 odd and there was no way the tail could have scored 150 runs on at Perth. At least 4 out of the 5 wickets were to injudicious slogs. It was the kind of performance Richards used to pull off every now and then when the fast bowlers had tied/broken through the batting and he used collect heaps of wickets at times. Good but not great. Another reason why stats can never accurately depict a sporting encounter.