Today/Tomorrow India at olympics - updated regularly

Cricketics

...and now he is out. Lost 108-109 to some Russian guy. Looks like India will finish with that 1 gold
:sad_smile: Don't know why these guys cannot proceed beyond last 16! At least Saina reached the last 8 and blew it there despite being the better player!

:sad_smile: Don't know why these guys cannot proceed beyond last 16! At least Saina reached the last 8 and blew it there despite being the better player!
Chandan, this is the first time i have closely followed the progress of Indian athletes in an Olympics. Leaving aside the usual disappointment here and there, i have witnessed more success stories than utter failures. A lot of our guys are getting into the round of 16, round of 32 in their respective events. Sure, it's short of medal standard but they are consistently beating off and holding their own against some of the best in the world. For a group which gets no support whatsoever from the authorities that govern Indian sports and the government, lacking the best facilities and coaching, not to mention a lack of corporate sponsorship, their performance has been respectable. Indians have nothing to be ashamed of. Where is the shame in watching an 18 year old girl upsetting top seeds and powering her way into the quarter-finals ? With better support, India's small contingent of Olympians would win a lot more than the customary 1 medal.

Chandan' date=' this is the first time i have closely followed the progress of Indian athletes in an Olympics. Leaving aside the usual disappointment here and there, i have witnessed more success stories than utter failures. A lot of our guys are getting into the round of 16, round of 32 in their respective events. Sure, it's short of medal standard but they are consistently beating off and holding their own against some of the best in the world. For a group which gets no support whatsoever from the authorities that govern Indian sports and the government, lacking the best facilities and coaching, not to mention a lack of corporate sponsorship, their performance has been respectable. Indians have nothing to be ashamed of. Where is the shame in watching an 18 year old girl upsetting top seeds and powering her way into the quarter-finals ? With better support, India's small contingent of Olympians would win a lot more than the customary 1 medal.[/quote'] You are 100% correct in saying that there is not even a basic structure present in the country for the development of these athletes. I think they are all wonderfully talented but lack somewhere in the mental toughness. Yesterday I watched a 16 years old Indian swimmer, Khade in the heats and even if he came first in his group, he took 4 seconds more than his personal best and hence wasn't good enough to proceed to the last 16, as the cut off was 1.38 seconds less than what he registered here. Why are they unable to give their best at the biggest stage? Is it stage fright?

You are 100% correct in saying that there is not even a basic structure present in the country for the development of these athletes. I think they are all wonderfully talented but lack somewhere in the mental toughness. Yesterday I watched a 16 years old Indian swimmer, Khade in the heats and even if he came first in his group, he took 4 seconds more than his personal best and hence wasn't good enough to proceed to the last 16, as the cut off was 1.38 seconds less than what he registered here. Why are they unable to give their best at the biggest stage? Is it stage fright?
In the case of Saina and Khade, yeah, probably. There are reasons for this. What the authorities need to do is send all these guys to every world championship, every tournament, grand prix, Masters, or any other competition where the best in the world are taking part. Get them used to the level of competition, and give them an idea of what to expect. When that isn't happening, they should go train abroad. This is the only way that they can be prepared for an Olympics. Conditions in India aren't good enough to produce a medal winning competitor. The reason why Bindra won a gold was because he had the experience of winning the World Championships in the back of his mind. So he wasn't over-rawed by the occasion when he had a chance to win gold at the Olympics - he was accustomed to the pressure. He was also sent to Germany or somewhere in Europe for coaching of some sort. Now Bindra is the son of a wealthy guy, so his parents could pick up the tab for him to travel around - the others don't have that luxury. That is where the authorities and the government should step in.

LEANDER PAES AND MAHESH BHUPATHI ARE THROUGH TO THE NEXT ROUND. NOW THEY WILL FACE THE WINNER OF THIS GAME WAWRINKA Stanislas / FEDERER Roger vs TURSUNOV Dmitry / YOUZHNY Mikhail come on INDIA
Oh my God...they will have to face Fed & Co :nervous:

PRUDENT, fed and co, well federer offcourse is a big name but u know what, recently paes and his double's partner Dlouhy defeated federer in canada couple of months back in doubles. i don't think fed is too big a player in doubles. though he is seriously not in best touch of his, but doubles is a diff game and your partner can easily lose you the game. but yaa fed has been given seed 6 in the doubles so offcourse a tough game coming. and look at the other game, as wee meet fed n co. in the other game, bryan brothers the rank 1 team will face nadal and his partner if both of them win their doubles game today. and if we win against federer, then we will face the winner of nadal/bryan brothers game. tough draw this for us lol.