Trescothick's Shocking Revelation

Trescothick makes ball revelation Marcus Trescothick has revealed that he sucked sweets to help keep the shine on the ball when playing for England. The former England opener was part of the team that won the 2005 Ashes series against Australia when reverse swing was key to their success. Cricket laws forbid the use of "any artificial substance", specifically to be applied to the surface of the ball. "According to the laws this is illegal - but we won't outlaw sucking sweets," an ICC spokesman told BBC Sport. Trescothick's international career is now over because of stress-related problems, but he was the man England nominated to look after the ball, not only in 2005, but also in the home series against Australia four years earlier. "I was firmly established as the man in charge of looking after the ball when we were fielding," says the 32-year-old in his new autobiography. "It was my job to keep the shine on the new ball for as long as possible with a bit of spit and a lot of polish - and through trial and error I finally settled on the best type of spit for the task at hand." He adds: "I had a go at Murray Mints and found they worked a treat." The first batsman to score 1,000 runs in Championship Division One this season, Trescothick was absolved in a 2001 Ashes Test of any wrong-doing by the match referee when a clutch of lollipops fell out of his pocket. "If appropriate, it would be looked into," added the ICC spokersman over Trescothick's latest revelations. "It depends on the evidence and circumstances, so if something is brought to our attention it would be dealt with. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7579005.stm --------------------- one of my favourite test series spoiled by this :((

Not that surprising. This is common in English cricket. There's a quite interesting bit in Steve Waugh's autobiography where he talks about his first stint playing county cricket. Someone offered him a mint, so he took it and ate it. His teammates got upset, then explained to him that he wasn't supposed to do that - but should just suck on the mint and then polish the ball. Waugh refused, and didn't get offered any more sweets by his teammates. BTW, what does one make of this now? http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2005/oct/19/cricket Bracken had made a comment about this right after the Ashes, and people jumped on him for being a sore loser.

Not that surprising. This is common in English cricket. There's a quite interesting bit in Steve Waugh's autobiography where he talks about his first stint playing county cricket. Someone offered him a mint, so he took it and ate it. His teammates got upset, then explained to him that he wasn't supposed to do that - but should just suck on the mint and then polish the ball. Waugh refused, and didn't get offered any more sweets by his teammates. BTW, what does one make of this now? http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2005/oct/19/cricket Bracken had made a comment about this right after the Ashes, and people jumped on him for being a sore loser.
Wow that sucks looks like when Dravid played for Kent, they offered him a sweet, he kept it in his mouth lol but this is pathetic, bloody scum the greatest achievement in English cricket involved cheating :haha:

First of all, I would like to question the scientific wisdom of anyone who claims saliva that contains more sugar from mints helps the keep the shine longer. Unless anyone can actually prove it, all this talk of 'Trescothick did that, Aussies complained' is just hot air.

^^ I can't probably prove, but i reckon it must help with the shine of the ball and anyways, if it wasn't such a big deal and have no effect, why was Dravid fined by the ICC with his instance of rubbing the sweet on the ball
Thats just coz of the ICC rule that no foreign substance ( apart from saliva, I think) should be applied on the ball, irrespective of whether the substance aids in the altering the condition of the ball or not. Still, I cant imagine how sweetened saliva helps in preserving the shine, any more than ordinary saliva.
Guest dada_rocks

I see pakistanis showing shock ( yes yes I do visit pp) .. come on buddies you clowns have been avowedly defending confession after confession by pakistani cricketers to this effect.. stop being drama queen.. So now it's official whenever u start seeing soe prodigious socaleld reverse swing it's case of someone screwing with the ball.. Waseem Akram hits it with spikes of his boot someone sucks on sweet mint.......

I see pakistanis showing shock.. come on buddies you aclowns have been avowedly defending confession after confession by pakistani cricketers to thsi effect.. stop being drama queen..
Pjika and Dravid are Pakistanis now?
So now it's official whenever u start seeing soe prodigious socaleld reverse sweep it's case of someone screwing with the ball.. Waseem Akbar hits it with spikes of his boot someone suck on sweet mint.......
Zaheer Khan and RP Singh- Jelly beans test match?
Guest dada_rocks
Pjika and Dravid are Pakistanis now? Zaheer Khan and RP Singh- Jelly beans test match?
NO they never reached thugs stage in reverse swing..
Guest dada_rocks

Somebody chimed its all about skill thora scratch here and ther matter nahin karta .. bhai log 1-2 inch ka movement difference hota hai glorious cover drive or edged to second slip mein

I see pakistanis showing shock ( yes yes I do visit pp) .. come on buddies you clowns have been avowedly defending confession after confession by pakistani cricketers to this effect.. stop being drama queen.. So now it's official whenever u start seeing soe prodigious socaleld reverse swing it's case of someone screwing with the ball.. Waseem Akram hits it with spikes of his boot someone sucks on sweet mint.......
:omg::omg::omg::omg::omg: