Hayden wants to recover fully before tour to India

Feed

Matthew Hayden has been ruled out of the one-day series against Bangladesh due to a long-standing Achilles problem, but he remains on track for the Test series against India in October. More... Opener will rest injured achilles Hayden withdraws from Bangladesh series Peter English August 25, 2008 340983.jpgThe postponement of the Champions Trophy has given Matthew Hayden extra time to recover © Getty Images Matthew Hayden has been ruled out of the one-day series against Bangladesh due to a long-standing Achilles problem, but he remains on track for the Test series against India in October. Hayden was originally due to travel with the squad to Darwin - the first match is on Saturday - in an attempt to be fit for the Champions Trophy. However, the team's medical staff decided Hayden should take advantage of the postponement of the tournament and use the break to ensure he is fully fit for the four-Test series against India. He has spent time at the squad camp in Brisbane over the past two days and will continue his rehabilitation at home. No replacement will be named for Hayden and the 13-man squad will head to Darwin on Tuesday to prepare for the three matches against the ninth-ranked Bangladesh. Hayden suffered the injury while training in the Indian Premier League and left the tour of the West Indies without playing a Test. His withdrawal is another setback for Australia, who will also be without Ricky Ponting (wrist injury) and Brett Lee (family reasons).

Hayden thinks about one-day exit A lingering heel injury has forced Matthew Hayden to consider his limited-overs future, but he says he still has the desire to continue in the format despite having to pull out of the series against Bangladesh. More... Injured opener plans to play on 'at least for this summer' Hayden thinks about one-day exit Cricinfo staff August 26, 2008 350036.jpgMatthew Hayden: "I won't be ruthless about trying to push on. I don't want to hang on too long" © Getty Images A lingering heel injury has forced Matthew Hayden to consider his limited-overs future, but he says he still has the desire to continue in the format despite having to pull out of the series against Bangladesh. Hayden, who picked up the problem in April, said he was keen to keep appearing in coloured clothes - "at least for this summer". "I really enjoy it so providing I can hold my spot I will definitely be playing more one-day cricket," he told the Australian. "It's not like I've played 300 games. I came late to one-day cricket and have played about 150 [161] games." Hayden was the player of the 2007 World Cup and is the ICC's one-day player of the year, but he will turn 37 in October and knows time is running out. "I want to finish off the desire I have to play one-day cricket without being selfish because it's important the team has plenty of time to prepare for the next World Cup," he said. "That's still a long way off, but I won't be ruthless about trying to push on. I don't want to hang on too long." Australia will have another look at the future during the three matches against Bangladesh in Darwin, starting from Saturday. Shaun Marsh, Shane Watson and Brad Haddin are contenders for the opening spots while David Hussey and Cameron White may also receive significant game time. The cancellation of the Champions Trophy has disrupted Australia's pre-season, but given Hayden a greater opportunity to recover from the Achilles problem. "In the short term it's disappointing, but in the longer term it's really good because it gives me extra time to get right for India," Hayden said. "India is a hugely challenging and iconic series. There have been a lot of distractions lately with the rise of Twenty20 cricket but the premium product is still Test cricket and one of the premium events is playing India."

Hayden wants to recover fully before tour to India Matthew Hayden, who pulled out of the one-day series against Bangladesh due to a strained achilles tendon, feels that the break would see him return to international cricket with renewed strength for the tour to India. More... Hayden wants to recover fully before tour to India Indo-Asian News Service Melbourne, August 26, 2008 First Published: 20:11 IST(26/8/2008) Last Updated: 20:14 IST(26/8/2008) Australian opener Matthew Hayden, who pulled out of the one-day series against Bangladesh due to a strained achilles tendon, feels that the break would see him return to international cricket with renewed strength for the tour to India. Hayden, who has been a prolific scorer against India, said the rest will give him enough time to recover for the "iconic" series in India. "India is a hugely challenging and iconic series. "There have been a lot of distractions lately with the rise of Twenty20 cricket but the premium product is still Test cricket and one of the premium events is playing India," Hayden was quoted as saying in The Australian. "In the short term it's disappointing (missing the Bangladesh series) but in the longer term it's really good because it gives me extra time to get right for India," Hayden said. Hayden though said he is planning to draw curtains to his one-day career sooner some time. "I want to finish off the desire I have to play one-day cricket without being selfish because it's important the team has plenty of time to prepare for the next World Cup," Hayden said. "That's still a long way off, but I won't be ruthless about trying to push on. I don't want to hang on too long." The 36-year-old withdrew from the one-day series against Bangladesh because of the slow recovery of the strained achilles tendon. He said he will make a decision on the future of his one-day career at the end of the summer. "I'm really keen to keep playing one-day cricket, at least for this summer. I really enjoy it so providing I can hold my spot I will definitely be playing more one-day cricket.

You have to admire the auusies and the way they prioritise for major test series. 3 of them pulled out of masala odis angainst bangla to ensure they are in tip top condition for test series. And also a load of them returned early from IPl to play for Australia! Hayden is seriously thinking of retiring from odis to ensure he is fit for the real deal of tests!

Guest Hiten.
You have to admire the auusies and the way they prioritise for major test series. 3 of them pulled out of masala odis angainst bangla to ensure they are in tip top condition for test series. And also a load of them returned early from IPl to play for Australia! Hayden is seriously thinking of retiring from odis to ensure he is fit for the real deal of tests!
Don't you remember the Aussies' *****ing and moaning about IPL ? Once they realized cash is flowing in IPL like there is no tomorrow, everyone jumped the bandwagon including their great captain Ricky Ponting.