Indian Domestic cricket 08-09 : Md Nissar Trophy

Chandan

No chance of game starting on time. It rained a bit in the morning as well, so the ground at Kotla, which resembled a pool according to Hindustan times last evening, has no chance to dry up and Delhi has lost this match, as far as I am concenced! Here is that report: 18_09_2008_021_014.jpg And the relevent lines are: THE SCORECARD doesn't always tell the full story, and if ever a match proved this, it is this one. The Nissar Trophy has never been won by a Pakistani side, but unless the weather gods or Delhi's bowlers perform a miracle, Virender Sehwag's side could be on their way to an unwanted first. And this on a day where Delhi dominated from start to finish. With the heavens well and truly opening up in the evening to leave the ground looking like a pool, and a timely start unlikely on the final day, Delhi's unwillingness to declare might have poured water all over their chances of winning their first title of the season.

poor stuff from the rain gods. pathetic i should say. btw, why is cricinfo saying Bad Light???? is it pretty gloomy in Delhi rite now??
Very gloomy. And I'm quite a few kilometers away from Kotla. It may rain here soon, like it did last evening. The temperature has fallen dramatically but the humidity is too much. Met says that it'll rain throughout the day. So there goes the trophy to Pakistan domestic cricket tournament champion for the first time!
Very gloomy. And I'm quite a few kilometers away from Kotla. It may rain here soon, like it did last evening. The temperature has fallen dramatically but the humidity is too much. Met says that it'll rain throughout the day. So there goes the trophy to Pakistan domestic cricket tournament champion for the first time!
Damn. HARD LUCK CHOPRA/KOHLI. SAD END.

Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited won (draw won on 1st innings) This way SNGPL take the title of Nissar trophy for Pakistan champions for the first time after rain ruins the final day's play! Report: Delhi v SNGPL, Mohammad Nissar Trophy, 4th day SNGPL take title after rain ruins final day Cricinfo staff September 18, 2008 Sui Northern Gas Pipeline Limited 266 (Shehzad 66, Umar Akmal 58) beat Delhi 134 (Kohli 52, Imran Ali 6-52) and 516 for 4 (Chopra 182, Kohli 197) on first-innings lead Scorecard SNGPL became the first Pakistan team to win the Mohammad Nissar Trophy as the game ended in a draw after overnight rain ruled out play on the final day. SNGPL were declared victors on the basis of their first-innings lead as Delhi, who were in a dominant position with a 384-run lead in the second innings, were left to rue a poor batting performance on the first day. Rain had left the outfield and playing area soggy and the umpires finally called off play at 1.30 pm after inspecting the conditions on three occasions. The two previous editions of the Mohammad Nissar Trophy, instituted in 2006, had been won by Indian teams - Uttar Pradesh in 2006 and Mumbai in 2007.

Congratulations to SNGPL for their 'win'. Although I dont have too much against the first inning lead rule in principle because both teams play by the same rules and Mumbai won their game this way last year (Link. I'd say it was far more convincing than this match but same rules apply), what exactly is the point of doing anything in the second innings at all ? In a test match, a draw can be earned by playing well in the second inning but this is unfair to people who play well in the second innings.