The Symonds Saga

B-G Trophy 2008 : India selection now a headache ANDREW Symonds' potential absence could force a drastic rethink of Australia's battle plan for future tours, including next month's big-ticket visit to India. More... India selection now a headache By Jon Pierik September 01, 2008 ANDREW Symonds' potential absence could force a drastic rethink of Australia's battle plan for future tours, including next month's big-ticket visit to India. Symonds was to have been a vital component of Australia's bid to retain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy in the four-Test series in October with his robust middle-order hitting, steady part-time spin and deadly catching and fielding. But with the Queenslander now contemplating his future in the wake of the embarrassing fishing fiasco in Darwin, Australia's national selectors will have to at least discuss other options ahead of naming the touring squad in a fortnight. Even if Symonds does make himself available, it's questionable whether he will be in the right frame of mind to deal with six strenuous weeks on the road. India is arguably the most mentally and physically taxing of any tour in world cricket, and only those fully committed and at peace with their lives can expect to prosper. Acting Australia captain Michael Clarke said Symonds would only be recalled when teammates could again trust him. "He's a very important player in all three forms of game, so I hope he uses his time wisely, like I say, gets his head right," he said. "And I'm sure if he's proven his commitment and worth back to this team I guess I know the selectors would be more than happy to have him back in this team." Clarke confirmed team management had grown frustrated with Symonds after a "handful of incidents" in recent years. "The main concern for us as a leadership group and a team is commitment to the team," he said. "And like I say that isn't just about on the field, that's off the field, that's attitude. There is a number of things that we believe as a leadership and a team that he wasn't fulfilling." Australia have yet to settle on a frontline spinner for the Indian tour with New South Wales chinaman Beau Casson, Victorian leggie Bryce McGain and Tasmanian off-spinner Jason Krejza all vying for the role. The inexperienced trio are in India right now on an Australia A tour pushing their case but there is no guarantee any of the three - even if chosen on the Test tour - will be in the XI come the first Test in Bangalore on October 9. This is because selectors are considering using Symonds and fellow part-time spinner Clarke as relief bowlers for a potent pace attack which, like 2004, will again spearhead the world champions' assault. But if Symonds does not tour, selectors may not have any choice but to send in a Casson or McGain against some of the best combatants of spin in world cricket.

He will eat them alive bro. We should have Dhoni and Yuvi in the ring with Symo. About time he fights with someone his own size..lol.
as he would with dhoni and yuvraj... the only indian who will take the monds out of symonds... is an olympic medal winner boxer... if only we had one; oh wait!

Errant Symonds given month to commit ANDREW Symonds has under a month to pledge his allegiance to Australian cricket and safeguard his passage to the place that commands commitment most — India. More... Errant Symonds given month to commit Adam Cooper Darwin September 1, 2008 ANDREW Symonds has under a month to pledge his allegiance to Australian cricket and safeguard his passage to the place that commands commitment most — India. Officials of Cricket Australia, Cricket Queensland and the players' union have already begun devising a strategy on how best to assist Symonds, who on Saturday was sent home for lacking commitment to his team. The all-rounder was fishing when he should have been attending a compulsory team meeting. Symonds, 33, was yesterday considering his future after his latest disciplinary lapse brought into question whether he could put the team first or accept his international career was over. His manager Matt Fearon said Symonds wanted to resume playing, but was unsure whether he would be available for the Test tour of India, which departs late next month. The touring squad could be selected as early as mid-September. "Andrew's going to take some time to reflect on what's happened," Fearon told Cricinfo. "He's still committed to playing cricket at the highest level. "How he goes about doing that and how it plays out I don't know. Whether it means India I don't know." But Symonds' teammates are desperate to have him available for the high-profile Test series. Batsman Mike Hussey said the all-rounder was missed in Saturday's win over Bangladesh in the opening one-dayer and would be invaluable in a gruelling series on the subcontinent. "He's had success there and is a very good player of spin, and that is important," Hussey said. Symonds' latest indiscretion disappointed his two greatest allies — captain Ricky Ponting and Michael Clarke, the acting skipper in Darwin — and they, along with coach Tim Nielsen, decided enough was enough. The leadership group had tired of several recent incidents, which showed Symonds put himself first. Fellow all-rounder Shane Watson, who missed Saturday's match because he was still feeling the effects of calf soreness and the toe he broke in the West Indies, is expected to be fit for Wednesday's second game. AAP

Symonds mulls quitting cricket Andrew Symonds is mulling quitting international cricket after he was sent home by the CA for going on a 'fishing trip' instead of attending a team meeting. More... Symonds mulls quitting international cricket Press Trust Of India Melbourne, September 01, 2008 First Published: 12:27 IST(1/9/2008) Last Updated: 12:42 IST(1/9/2008) Disillusioned Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds is mulling quitting international cricket after he was sent home by the Cricket Australia for going on a 'fishing trip' instead of attending a compulsory team meeting last week. "I have been asked to think about what is important to me and I will take this time to do that," Symonds was quoted as saying by the 'Courier Mail' on Monday. "I would ask that during this time, people respect my privacy and that of my friends and family," he said. "I would like to say thanks for the many messages of support I have received over the past day or so," he added. The 33-year-old player's decision would be of a great significance to the Australians as their team is set to tour India in October and the final squad would be picked in next two weeks. Australia's stand-in skipper Michael Clarke has questioned Symonds' commitment and claimed he needed time away from the game to get his act together. "The main concern for us is Andrew's commitment to playing for this team," Clarke said. "There is a number of things that we believe as a leadership and a team that he wasn't fulfilling. That isn't just about on the field, that's off the field, that's attitude." Symonds would lose his $500,000 CA contract if he quits the game but the highest-paid Australian player in the IPL can still earn handsomely in the Indian sub-continent by playing in the Indian Premier League or the Indian Cricket League.

Nielsen plans for tour without Symonds Australia cannot assume Andrew Symonds will take part in their Test tour of India in October and are planning for potentially being without the allrounder, according to the coach Tim Nielsen. More... Australia in India 2008-09 Nielsen plans for tour without Symonds Cricinfo staff September 1, 2008 329218.jpgAndrew Symonds had an eventful series against India last season but there is no guarantee he will be around for the rematch © Getty Images Australia cannot assume Andrew Symonds will take part in their Test tour of India in October and are planning for potentially being without the allrounder, according to the coach Tim Nielsen. Symonds is pondering his future after being sent home from the Bangladesh series in Darwin because he missed a team meeting to go fishing. Nielsen was one of the members of the team leadership group that made the tough decision to remove Symonds from the squad. He said Symonds' ongoing behaviour had raised concerns about his frame of mind and under the circumstances it was impossible to bank on having Symonds for the India trip. "I don't think we can at the moment, I don't think we can bank on much at all at the moment," Nielsen told AAP. "The only thing we can bank on is providing as much support as we possibly can for him to make the right decision for him and for us, to come back into the group 100% committed. "But how long is a piece of string? I don't know if Roy [symonds] would understand or know how long it's going to take. I certainly don't." Australia are less than a month from departing for India, where they will aim to retain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy after beating India 2-1 at home in 2007-08. That series was played in often strained circumstances, partly due to a racism row featuring Symonds and Harbhajan Singh. For the time being, Nielsen said Australia were being forced to rework their plans for the rematch due to the uncertainty over Symonds' future. "Oh yeah," he said, "we've lost our No. 6 batsman and our allrounder in the Test team for the short-term, so for sure."

Australia team will be in trouble without Symond. He is the only one who had good season against India in Australia in spite of consistently umpiring favored on him. Symond seems to play spinners well. Not sure about the rest of them. The team badly need Symond service. At least in India. On the other hand, CA shouldn't compromise any discipline no matter what. Good to see CA taking step up against Symond.

Symonds told to seek psychological help The flamboyant all-rounder has been urged to seek a psychologist's help as he deals with uncertainity surrounding his Int'l cricket career and a fallout with teammates. More... Symonds told to seek psychological help Press Trust Of India Melbourne, September 02, 2008 First Published: 10:46 IST(2/9/2008) Last Updated: 10:56 IST(2/9/2008) Embattled Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds has been urged to seek a psychologist's help as he deals with the uncertainty surrounding his international cricket career and a bitter fallout with teammates. A disillusioned Symonds, whose commitment to the side was questioned after he missed a mandatory team meeting to go fishing, is certain to sit out of the upcoming tour of India in October. The flamboyant all-rounder has also reportedly fallen out with his senior teammates, including one-time close pal Michael Clarke, who spoke out publicly against him. "It is understood the strife-torn cricketer has been asked to go on a rehabilitation program, overseen by Cricket Australia medical staff, in which he would see counsellors about his state of mind," The 'Daily Telegraph' reported today. His teammates are reportedly feeling letdown by his actions after standing by him during the controversies that ranged from drunken brawls to frequent showdowns with opposition players. "There is no time limit on these things," a source said. "With an issue like this, it's important to ensure that duty of care and responsibility is used. Nobody wants to go any further unless they are comfortable things are where they need to be," he added. All-rounder Cameron White said no one from the team has spoken to Symonds. "I don't think the team really knows. Obviously no one's really spoken to Andrew over the last couple of days so only Andrew will know what his mental state is and he'll take the time and work it out for himself, I guess," White said.