The Symonds Saga

'IPL is not for a bunch of retired cricketers' : Modi "I would advise him to stay on with his country," Modi said in the Sydney Morning Herald. "We need players who are playing international cricket. We don't need a whole bunch of retired cricketers in the tournament. Cricket Australia has the right to refuse that he plays in the IPL for two years after retirement." More... Indian Premier League 2009 Modi tells Symonds to keep playing for Australia Cricinfo staff September 3, 2008 Changes made to top management Deccan Chargers are making significant changes to their top management in an effort to reverse fortunes. Shishir Hattangadi, the head of cricket, and manager Vijay Mohan Raj won't be continuing in the second season. Tim Wright, a senior vice-president with IMG, took over the CEO's role from J Krishnan in June. Kanwaljit Singh, the assistant coach in charge of identifying players for the team, will, however, stay for the second term. "We were stung by our performances in the last year and yes, the franchise is making structural changes at the top," Adam Gilchrist confirmed to Cricinfo. The Indian Premier League commissioner Lalit Modi has told Andrew Symonds, who is weighing up his options after being suspended by Australia for going fishing, that the competition is not a venue for a "bunch of retired cricketers". Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist, Glenn McGrath and Stephen Fleming were some of the former internationals involved in the inaugural tournament, but Modi said it was important for Symonds to be playing for Australia. "I would advise him to stay on with his country," Modi said in the Sydney Morning Herald. "We need players who are playing international cricket. We don't need a whole bunch of retired cricketers in the tournament. Cricket Australia has the right to refuse that he plays in the IPL for two years after retirement." Michael Brown, Cricket Australia's general manager of operations, said they had not contemplated blocking Symonds from appearing in the tournament. "All of us want him back in the team," Brown said. "Andrew is an outstanding player." Symonds was signed for the Deccan Chargers for US$1.35 million and is upset about his treatment from Australia. He missed a team meeting and optional training session in Darwin last Friday when he went fishing. The following day he left the squad and returned to Brisbane. The Deccan chief executive Tim Wright said he would love to have Symonds available for the 2009 event, although if he is part of Australia's set-up he will be involved in series against South Africa and Pakistan. "The Deccan Chargers will - as will any IPL team - want Andrew Symonds in from the very first ball of the competition to the very last ball,'' Wright told AAP. "He will strengthen any Indian Premier League team by his presence.'' Wright said it was important Symonds "was enjoying his cricket", whether playing for Australia or Deccan, and he would "absolutely not" try and encourage the allrounder to end his international career. "From an entirely personal point of view, I'd like to see Symonds help Deccan win the IPL and I'd like to see him star in an Ashes series against England in 2009," Wright said. Symonds played four games for Deccan this year before joining the Australian team for their tour of the West Indies. He was one of the few bright spots in an otherwise poor campaign for Deccan, who finished last, scoring 161 runs at 80.50 including a century against the Rajasthan Royals.

Ofcourse. As good as the players are, they are paid their hefty sum more for their popularity than their on field skills (atleast most players). Symmonds, an aussie international player sounds much better than Symmonds, an ex-aussie cricketer. Besides, IPL takes place one a month every year and market value decreases with peoples mind share of the players. Gilly, Warne,Mcgrath, Flemming (to a lesser extent) were legends for years before they could retire and still fetch high price. But once Symmonds retires and his contract gets over, his next contract wont fetch him much (if he continues his mediocre showing)

The real reason Symonds chose fishing over work THE seeds of Andrew Symonds's discontent were sown long before the Northern Territory fishing expedition. To understand the turbulent mindset of the all-rounder, venture back to January, to South Australia, to the furore that threatened to split the cricketing world. To this day, Symonds has not forgiven Cricket Australia for what transpired in an Adelaide federal courtroom eight months ago. It was there that Symonds and three teammates were convinced by CA to downgrade a charge of racial abuse against Harbhajan Singh to one of mere verbal abuse - a ploy the Australian players were advised would help ensure a lengthy suspension after the Monkeygate scandal, but one which eventually resulted in Harbhajan escaping sanction altogether. Harbahjan's reprieve infuriated Symonds, who felt abandoned by administrators he felt were more interested in kow-towing to the influential Indian board than protecting their own. Sources within the Australian team say Symonds has refused all of CA's subsequent attempts to appease him, and the lingering resentment has fuelled his deteriorating attitude to work. Those close to the 33-year-old do not believe he will retire, but there is grave concern over the mindset in which he will return. Some fear that a bullish, unrepentant Symonds could erode harmony during this period of team transition, where the ever-dwindling list of senior players are being relied upon to set the standard for a new generation of Australian cricketers. Others are worried that Symonds's relationship with Michael Clarke - his friend and Australia's captain elect - could prove irreparable should the Queenslander place the blame for his embarrassing expulsion solely at Clarke's feet. Ripples of discontent at Symonds's wavering commitment have surfaced on occasion this year, but it was not until Darwin that the issue came to a head. Australian players and officials were alarmed when Symonds arranged to have his fishing boat trucked from Queensland to Darwin before the three-match one-day series against Bangladesh. Hardly the sign of a man focused. It was against Bangladesh that Symonds endured his most infamous fall from grace when, after a late night drinking session in Cardiff, the limited-overs veteran reported for a game in an inebriated state. The public shaming that ensued prompted Symonds to reassess his attitude towards cricket and, after several months, he returned with a vengeance. Symonds retained that focus and drive through his Test recall in 2006, and the torrid World Cup and Indian one-day campaigns the following year. But since the Harbhajan hearing in Adelaide, teammates believe Symonds - emotional, stubborn and a bearer of grudges - has lacked much of the competitive edge that propelled him from Test periphery to international superstar. The disproportionate pay cheques offered by the Indian Premier League have supposedly fuelled the fires of discontent further with CA, who are not in a position to match the $1.4 million contract he signed with the Deccan Chargers. Symonds has made no secret of his distaste for his ever-burgeoning celebrity status: another factor that has gnawed at his passion for the game. In a recent interview with the Herald, he spoke of a "traperazzi" scam during the 2007 World Cup, in which a man slapped him outside a nightclub while a hidden photographer waited to capture the ensuing outburst. "Sport is not necessarily just sport any more," he said. "People like to know what sportsmen are doing when they're not playing sport. People want to know what goes on behind the man, I suppose, which to me, I think, is probably slightly rude." The majority of the Australian squad have sent Symonds messages of support since his forced return to Queensland, and those who have received replies have been heartened by his apparent determination to return to international cricket. Source

^ Ghanta ! As if he was disciplined before the Slapgate.If my Symo and his mates were so unhappy with the Indians then why is it that they all stood in a queue to get into IPL . Why is it that Symo never publicly said "No I will not play in IPL since BCCI / Indian team was mean to me". if one racial attack was enough to end someone's career then no one from India , Pak , Sri Lanka would be playing international cricket. Sala jabardasti senti maar raha hai.

Bhajji row behind Symonds' diminishing commitment According to a report published in Australian Daily The Age, Andrew Symonds has not forgiven Cricket Australia for downgrading racism charges against Harbhajan Singh. More... Bhajji row behind Symonds' diminishing commitment: report . Press Trust Of India Melbourne, September 04, 2008 First Published: 12:15 IST(4/9/2008) Last Updated: 12:30 IST(4/9/2008) Andrew Symonds has not forgiven Cricket Australia (CA) for downgrading racism charges against Harbhajan Singh and his sagging commitment dates back to the infamous 'Monkey-gate' scandal, according to reports. Symonds, whose commitment is being questioned after he preferred a fishing trip to a compulsory team meeting, and Harbhajan figured prominently in the Sydney row where the Australian all-rounder accused the equally volatile Indian off-spinner of racially abusing him. Eventually, the Australians were convinced by the CA to downgrade the charge, allowing Harbhajan to escape a ban and Symonds just could not digest that, reports "The Age". "To this day Symonds has not forgiven Cricket Australia for what transpired in an Adelaide federal courtroom eight months ago," the report said. "Harbhajan's reprieve infuriated Symonds, who felt abandoned by administrators he believed were more interested in kow-towing to India than protecting their own," it added. According to the report, Symonds subsequently refused all CA efforts to resolve the issue and his discontent started affecting his commitment to the side. CA chief executive James Sutherland hinted time was running out for Symonds to make the India tour even though he promised all help from the board. "The critical thing is that he has time to sort through his priorities but also to seek whatever help he needs to assess his priorities and bounce back. To that end he has our absolute support," he said. Though he is not new to disciplinary breaches, the daily said Symonds -- "emotional, stubborn and a notorious bearer of grudges" -- was not his competitive self since that Sydney row.

he he.. then wat the f*** he was doing coming and playing in the IPL?
How old are you? Symonds had issues with Harbhajan Singh. What makes you go all "macho" with slangs against Symonds for playing in IPL? Where did that come from? Unless you mean IPL = Harbhajan Singh. Jeez!
How old are you? Symonds had issues with Harbhajan Singh. What makes you go all "macho" with slangs against Symonds for playing in IPL? Where did that come from? Unless you mean IPL = Harbhajan Singh. Jeez!
I think he has a point. If Symonds can be so angry with CA, he should be even angrier with BCCI and team India who were standing firmly behind Bhajji and indirectly called Symonds a liar. If he is so angry with CA that he is uncomfortable with them, how did he play in IPL so comfortably knowing fully well that it is organized by BCCI and that 60% of the players involved are one who were backing Bhajji?
I think he has a point. If Symonds can be so angry with CA' date= he should be even angrier with BCCI and team India who were standing firmly behind Bhajji and indirectly called Symonds a liar. If he is so angry with CA that he is uncomfortable with them, how did he play in IPL so comfortably knowing fully well that it is organized by BCCI and that 60% of the players involved are one who were backing Bhajji?
How does that make sense?? If the article is beleived that Symonds felt "wronged" by CA, why exactly should he be miffed at BCCI? That the latter, BCCI, stood by its players(Harbhajan) while the former(CA) didnt?? Isnt it what he was complaining about in the first place? Surely it makes more sense that Symonds was miffed at CA and so he ended up at IPL to rub it in CA's face. xxx

i still stand by my earlier comment.., if symmo was angry abt da whole racism row, he shudnt hve travelled to india to tke part in the IPL. Bmself down... by doing so, he has let himself down. wen he's ready to play for deccan chargers for the big bucks, he has put fishing ahead of his own country's interest.i.e playing for australia...

i still stand by my earlier comment.., if symmo was angry abt da whole racism row, he shudnt hve travelled to india to tke part in the IPL. Bmself down... by doing so, he has let himself down. wen he's ready to play for deccan chargers for the big bucks, he has put fishing ahead of his own country's interest.i.e playing for australia...
If you expect your views to be taken seriously then the first thing you need to do is take time while posting and express your views clearly, not post some random text message. Just because you stand by your earlier comments means nothing. Simply put Symonds has the final call of what he needs to do, where he needs to play etc etc. And he was well within his rights. Just because you have the galls to laugh and cuss doesnt change one darn thing. xxx
nobody takes anybody seriously here anyways...
Noone will take YOU seriously. There are quite well-respected posters here who are taken seriously otherwise.
if symmo doesnt want to come to india representing australia, then he shud nt cme to play for deccan chargers either...
Why so? I am sure your mind doesnt register the simple fact that Symonds was the 2nd most expensive player in the league after Dhoni. Yes thats right do some homework and look it up. What does it say about Indian league owners that went running over to Symonds with the lagest bucket of money amongst ALL players of the world(including India) except for one Mr. Dhoni??
as modi has rightly sed... IPL is not for a bunch od retired cricketers (read as.. traitors)
Yes come back to replying mode when you learn proper English. This isn't a Text message board, its a message board so learn to express yourself. I was dead on when I asked how old you are. Jeez! xxx