The Symonds Saga

:cantstop::cantstop::cantstop::cantstop::cantstop::hysterical:. Cant compare a Lion to a rat. Symonds > Aktar in MANY ways. Fitter, better at fielding, batting and won many matches with his batting and fielding alone. Let me not remind you how symonds smashed shoaib before :-D. Great athlete, THE BEST i have seen on a cricket field.
err of one thing there is no doubt: Sohaib is a FAR better bowler than Symonds is a batsman.
err of one thing there is no doubt: Sohaib is a FAR better bowler than Symonds is a batsman.
What use has it been though? How many times has he come through for Pakistan when they really needed him? Probably only in 5-10% of the matches he's played. You can say that Symonds was an asset to Australia probably more than 80% of the time. Because even when he didn't/couldn't contribute with the bat, he contributes with his fielding. We saw how well Akhtar contributed in the field when he wasn't bowling in the 2007 December Test Series in India. Talent alone can never be the benchmark to say how good the player is - because Shoaib has no commitment to the team or to Pakistan. He plays for himself.
Because even when he didn't/couldn't contribute with the bat, he contributes with his fielding.
By that token, Jonty Rhodes was more valuable than Sachin Tendulkar - Sachin succeeds ( by that, i mean scoring 50+) in what ? 30-35% of his innings ? But Jonty contributed each and every time on the field...
I call this racism. So what if people are waiting in line to get a spot. That doesn't mean that you kick out a guy.
He was kicked out because he is not disciplined...Aussies are a far more disciplined bunch than us...you dont **** with their discipline...at most their captain/captain-in-waiting can get away with limited indiscipline.

Bar row put Andrew Symonds on the outer Peter Lalor | September 12, 2008 ANDREW Symonds controversially announced during the Harbhajan Singh appeal hearing last summer that "a Test match is no place to be friendly with an opposition player". Symonds is discovering that friendships with opposition players, or his own team-mates, are never a given in international cricket. On or off the field. He is also discovering that no matter how many runs you make or save, no matter how many wickets you take or defend, that your place in the Australian side is never a given. Symonds will be left out of the touring squad for India, which was picked last night, and is said to have a lot more work to do if he wants to be back in the team for the Australian summer. For a man known to announce in bars that certain spaces are for "Test players only", being on the wrong side of the divide must come as something of a disappointment, not that Symonds has shown any reaction to his axing from the national team. He has pulled down the shutters and it remains to be seen if he will emerge again. Symonds and vice-captain Michael Clarke were once as close as a Brisbane summer, they were cricket's most effective offside fielding team and got on well socially, but things have had a tendency to turn arctic of late. The pair allegedly had a blow-up in a hotel bar in the West Indies. Clarke, the team's vice-captain and one of the more dedicated cricketers on or off the field, chipped Symonds one night when he found him drinking in the bar with former West Indies great Brian Lara. He is said to have suggested that Symonds had better be in good shape to take the field the next day, a suggestion not taken in good humour. Symonds blew up and the pair had a very heated argument. They later patched things up, but relations have again become strained with Clarke leading the charge to have the belligerent all-rounder sent home from Darwin last month and placed on notice about his cricketing future. The Australian team has been concerned about Symonds for some time, but things have grown worse of late and missing a team meeting for a fishing expedition was the last straw. When disciplined by his peers, Symonds showed no contrition. "I have had some time to reflect on the events that took place in Darwin," Symonds said a few days after his ejection. "I would like to say thanks for the many messages of support that I have received over the past day or so. I appreciate your best wishes. I've been asked to think about what is important to me and I will take this time to do that." No matter how hard you read his prepared statement you will find no apologies, expressions of regret or acknowledgment that he may have erred. He did, however, go as far as to suggest that it would be nice if he was left alone. Symonds was sent away to work through a "process" before being readmitted to the side but has shown little interest in it. Cricket Australia has refused to spell out what those processes are, suggesting it is a welfare issue, but Symonds is believed to have been instructed to seek psychological help and to keep fit, presumably by training with Queensland. There was little sign of him doing either, although he has been put in contact with a psychologist with whom he has dealt before. Symonds has been on a holiday with his parents and girlfriend and only returned home yesterday. He is expected to show up at Queensland training next week, but there is almost no chance he will be named in the Australian squad for the tour of India which is being announced today. Instead of playing four Tests in India, Symonds will have to concentrate on state cricket and his mental state. If he can manage both he might make it back for the summer. He does not, it appears, respond well to criticism or disciplinary action and has complained he is being singled out when others cross the line too. When Symonds showed up drunk before a one-day match against Bangladesh in Cardiff in 2005, he infuriated captain Ricky Ponting on two fronts. The captain was upset that he would be so "disrespectful to himself, his team-mates, his opponents and his country by turning out in that state". Writing in his Captain's Diary, Ponting said he became even more angry with the way Symonds reacted when told he was out of the game. "'Right', was his response," Ponting wrote. "But he said it in such a casual 'see-if-I-care' way that it wound me up even more." Ponting turned to Adam Gilchrist and said "he can go home" before storming off. Symonds' reaction to being fined during the recent West Indies tour grated with team-mates, too. Stung $3000 for missing the team bus, he became what one person described as "the rule Nazi" and would ensure he was on the team bus five minutes before it was due to leave. At the exact time of departure, Symonds' watch would beep and he would announce that the doors had to close and the bus had to leave and anybody left behind could walk or be fined because that was the way he was treated. His relationship with Cricket Australia has been strained for some time as Symonds is still upset at reports that a number of board members wanted him sacked over the 2005 incident. Team-mates are convinced he had to be disciplined for his attitude in Darwin for they feared what would happen should Symonds be in the same state during the Indian tour. This time last year Symonds arrived in India, sledged the locals about their Twenty20 World Cup celebrations, clashed with a number of players on the field and then looked to the stands to find fans taunting him with monkey chants. Things went downhill from there and don't seemed to have recovered since. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24331973-2722,00.html

Ponting happy with contrite Symonds Ricky Ponting believes Andrew Symonds has taken some major steps towards returning to the Australia team by admitting his behaviour over the past year has been sub-standard. More... Captain sees positive signs Ponting happy with contrite Symonds Cricinfo staff September 17, 2008 352492.jpgRicky Ponting wants Andrew Symonds back in the Test side sooner rather than later © Getty Images Ricky Ponting believes Andrew Symonds has taken some major steps towards returning to the Australia team by admitting his behaviour over the past year has been sub-standard. Symonds was at Queensland training on Tuesday, where he signalled his intentions to work his way back to international cricket, and Ponting was pleased with the development. "I actually think there were some really positive signs over the last couple of days with Andrew," Ponting told AAP. "He's actually fronted the media and admitted that there's some room for improvement in certain parts of his life." Ponting was not in Darwin when the team leadership group ejected Symonds from the recent ODI series but he was involved in the decision by phone. Ponting will be leading a Test squad in India next month without Symonds, who was not considered for selection as he continues his Cricket Australia-organised programme to get him back on track. "He's a terrific player and his Test record and one-day record over the last couple of years for Australia has been outstanding," Ponting said. "Hopefully for him as a person, if he can get those things sorted out, then we'll have him back in the team." The next opportunity for Symonds to come back to international cricket would be during the home Tests against New Zealand in late November. Ponting said he would love to have Symonds in the squad "sooner rather than later".

Roy makes his return Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds made his comeback to cricket on Sunday after nine weeks out of the game. More... Symonds makes his return 21/09/2008 6:15 PM 00027052-image.jpg Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds made his comeback to cricket on Sunday after nine weeks out of the game. Symonds scored 30 and took 2-25 from eight overs for the Gold Coast Dolphins in their three wicket loss to University of Queensland in the opening round of the Cougar One Day Cup. The 33-year-old was happy to be back on the field and reported no ill-effects from the match. "Not too bad really ... but I'm sure I will be sore tomorrow," he said after the match. "It would have been good to get a win up for the Dolphins but it was just nice to get out there and have a hit and run around and catch up with a few of the boys." Symonds will return to training with the Queensland Bulls this week. "I'm looking forward to getting back into a bit of a routine with Bulls training this week and I guess we'll see how that pans out," he said.