B-G Trophy 2008 : Build-up

Kartikey

Absence could defuse tension: India We Indians always blame our press for adding masala to the news but Aussie press is not far behind. I read this article on theage.com.au and I fail to see where an Indian official mentions what has been said in the title.

INDIA'S coach Gary Kirsten has suggested Andrew Symonds' likely absence for the impending Test tour may ease some tension during the sequel to last summer's explosive series, even if it leaves Australia short of experience at crucial times. Where is his statement :hmmmm2: Although Kirsten said he was always conscious that Australia could call on quality replacements, his team was already preparing to exploit some potential vulnerabilities in a side expected to be without Symonds, who was sent home from Darwin to re-assess his commitment, and also the retired Adam Gilchrist from the team that recorded a 2-1 series win in January. "To not have those types of individuals means they are going to be replaced by more inexperienced players, so we will hopefully be able to exploit (that)," said Kirsten. "We all know with the Australian set-up that they always replace those individuals with quality players, but in the heat of Test match battle sometimes experience counts for a lot." Symonds was an influential figure with the bat in the most recent series, striking 162 not out in the Sydney Test, and a protagonist in the drama that followed, as the target of Harbhajan Singh's monkey taunt.So did Bhajji call him a monkey ? I think he was found not guilty of that ? also how many times was Symo given not out by bucknor His apparent disenchantment stems partly from the feeling he was not fully supported by Cricket Australia in the aftermath, when the racial-abuse charge against Harbhajan was downgraded. His enforced break follows a series of incidents ending with the fishing trip that kept him from attending a team meeting in Darwin. "There is a lot of hype around him and the quality of player that he is, and also I gather there is a lot of tension around from what happened in the last series," Kirsten said. "To not have him around … does that alleviate it? Does it make it better? I don't know the answer. But I don't think it takes the gloss off the Test series. One thing we must always be aware of is the game is bigger than the individual."so he is saying that he doesn't know if it will make any difference , isnt it ? Neither Symonds nor Cricket Australia has set a time-frame for the player's return, and he is not expected to be considered for the four-Test tour, with the squad to be announced next week. His absence is likely to pave the way for all-rounder Shane Watson's return to the Test squad, with batsmen Shaun Marsh and David Hussey also pushing for selection. In heartening news for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy defence, Brett Lee yesterday declared himself a starter, although he considered skipping the trip as he dealt with the break-up of his marriage. "Absolutely, I'm looking forward to it," the paceman said after joining teammates for a day in Darwin. "It's only been the last couple of days (that I decided). It's been one of those things where it was just going to be a time thing, so if it didn't work out and I didn't think I was fit enough or I wasn't ready to go, more so mentally … but I'm feeling great on both fronts." There remains some uncertainty about the squad's shape, with selector Jamie Cox dispatched to India to assess the form of Australia A spinners Beau Casson, Bryce McGain and Jason Krezja. Link

Disciplinary issues won't affect Symonds' selection Andrew Symonds' future with the Australian team will be decided once he makes himself available for selection, and the decision will be based purely on cricketing grounds, Jamie Cox, one of Australia's selectors, said in Bangalore . More... Australia in India 2008-09 Disciplinary issues won't affect Symonds' selection Cricinfo staff September 4, 2008 358263.jpgTim Nielsen, Australia's coach, has already begun planning for an India visit without Andrew Symonds © AFP Andrew Symonds' future with the Australian team will be decided once he makes himself available for selection, and the decision will be based purely on cricketing grounds, Jamie Cox, one of Australia's selectors, said in Bangalore. "As far as selection is concerned, it is up to Andrew on when he makes himself available," Cox, currently touring India with the Australia A team, said. "The decision [to send him back] was made by a group of senior players in support of Australian cricket. And we hope Andrew is back quickly." Cox was quick to dismiss notions that Symonds would be an automatic choice in the team if he made himself available for selection. "As of now Andrew has been given time to sort things out. We will make a decision [about his selection] when that time comes around," he said. "But the decision to pick him will surely be on cricketing grounds. It will have nothing to do with whatever has happened recently. Disciplinary issues will have no bearing on that decision." Symonds was sent home from Darwin ahead of the ODI series against Bangladesh by the team's leadership group after he chose to go fishing while skipping a team meeting. The latest misdemeanour - he had once turned up drunk for an ODI against the same opponents in 2005 - has invited criticism from a few former players, while others, including team-mate Shane Watson, have come out in support of the allrounder.

Onus on quicks to perform: Clark September 05, 2008 http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24299925-23212,00.html STUART Clark admits the onus will be on he and his fellow quicks to strike early against India next month if Australia are to retain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy. Australia's bowling attack in the highly-anticipated series will be short on experience in Indian conditions, as Clark, Brett Lee and Mitchell Johnson have never played a Test there, while the spinner's position is yet to be determined. But Clark was hopeful the attack could replicate the 2004 heroics of Glenn McGrath, Jason Gillespie and Michael Kasprowicz, whose brilliant fast bowling in tough conditions secured Australia a landmark series win on the subcontinent. Clark said the pacemen would need to draw on both that series and their own previous performances in India, however limited, to succeed against India's strong batting line-up. Lee has played 12 one-day internationals in India and took part in this year's Indian Premier League tournament, while Johnson has played seven one-dayers there and Clark only three. “We'll look at some sort of footage and draw on the experiences of the guys who did play there in 2004,'' Clark said. “We're going a little bit early now, and have to make our own adjustments to conditions that aren't like Australia. “They're more spin-friendly and probably don't carry and bounce like we're used to.'' The uncertainty over who Australia's main spinner will be in a squad to be announced next week also adds another potential concern. Wrist spinners Bryce McGain and Beau Casson are both in India with Australia A, but suffered injuries on day one of the tour match against India A in Bangalore. McGain took 3-51 on day one but suffered a shoulder strain in his bowling arm, while Casson strained his adductor muscle in the outfield, which limited him to one over. The injuries, on top of the likely absence of Andrew Symonds, who is considering his future, means part-time spinner Michael Clarke might have to do more bowling than he expected to. Clark said Shane Warne's absence still left a big hole in Australian cricket, and that the pacemen had to shoulder the load of bowling plenty and landing the big strikes. “Fast bowlers do all the work, don't they?'' he said. “We've got to get early wickets no matter where we play and India's especially like that, given they've got a very strong batting line-up. “It's part of our job and we're all fully aware of it and really excited about it.'' The benefit of in-form spinners in India was highlighted in the current tour match, as the combined seven wickets taken by fringe Indian turners Mohnish Parmar and Piyush Chawla helped rout Australia A for 116. The visitors were made to follow-on, but Australia A captain Simon Katich - also desperate to impress on this tour - at least gleaned something, with 56 in the second innings. Australia's players have used their time in Darwin, where they should complete a 3-0 cleansweep of Bangladesh in the one-day series, to train heavily in preparation for India. Clark said the Darwin humidity had made training tough, but it would be vital in helping the players acclimatise to India. He also dismissed claims Symonds' likely absence would limit any tension between the two sides following last summer's emotion-charged series, and last year's one-day series in India, where the Queenslander was mocked by fans. “That feeling stuff, I've said all along it's a media thing,'' Clark said. “The sides get on well, off the field especially. “There'll be a little bit of competitiveness which I hope is in any game of cricket or any sporting match between two countries.''

Australia not settled for India - Hussey Michael Hussey has not given up hope of Andrew Symonds joining Australia's tour of India, although he concedes the team is still "up in the air" just two weeks before the squad departs. More... Australia in India 2008-09 Australia not settled for India - Hussey Brydon Coverdale in Darwin September 7, 2008 367411.jpgMichael Hussey has been making runs in Darwin but several of his senior colleagues have been out of action © AFP Michael Hussey has not given up hope of Andrew Symonds joining Australia's tour of India, although he concedes the team is still "up in the air" just two weeks before the squad departs. Australia consider a Test trip to India the toughest challenge in world cricket and several senior players have had less-than-ideal preparation for the four-Test tour. While Hussey was grinding out half-centuries against Bangladesh in Darwin, where he was the Player of the Series, Symonds was pondering his future and Brett Lee was in Sydney dealing with the break-up of his marriage. Ricky Ponting was also absent as he continued his recovery from wrist surgery and Matthew Hayden was nursing an ongoing Achilles tendon problem. "We're pretty much up in the air at the moment," Hussey said. "We're certainly not settled on anything. Luckily for us, the experienced players that can come back in to the team, such as Ponting, Hayden, Symonds, Lee, they know their games very well. "They've got a lot of experience, they've played well in India before, whether it be one-day cricket or Test cricket and so I don't think it'll take them too long. We're going to have two practice games plus I'm sure they'll be able to get copious amounts of nets and I'm sure they'll be fine and ready to go." Hussey was not part of the team that triumphed in India in 2004-05 and he is looking forward to his first experience of what the Australians describe as their "Everest". The core group has changed significantly since then and while Hussey believes Australia are still favourites to retain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy, it will be a gruelling contest. "It's probably the toughest challenge," Hussey said. "I've never played a Test in India but I think the Australian team that won in '04, they said that was probably the Everest and I don't think that's changing. India are arguably up there with the top two or three teams in the world and I think it's going to be a wonderful series. Probably the hardest place to win in international cricket." The difficult nature of the trip means the players must remain focused at all times. Hussey said that meant it was particularly important that Symonds be properly mentally prepared if he was to put his hand up for selection. "I just hope from Andrew's point of view he can get his head right," Hussey said. "India is a place that you do have to be 100% committed to the game of cricket and also the team. "He's a very important member of our side and I think he'd be very effective in a place like India. I haven't spoken to him, I haven't heard anything, but I'm hoping he's going to be part of that trip." Should Symonds fail to make the cut it will leave Australia with an extra batting position available in the squad, with Simon Katich almost certain to move into the starting top six. Hussey's brother David could well be in line for that back-up position after earning a Cricket Australia contract this year and playing all three ODIs against Bangladesh. "He's got to come into it for sure," Hussey said. "He's playing well for Victoria for the last few years. He's a very good player of spin. But I don't know, there's some other quality players as well." The Australians depart for India on September 21 and until then the players will be at home, each individual working on their own game ahead of the trip. Despite picking up two half-centuries against Bangladesh, Hussey believes his own form is still scratchy and he will be spending time in the nets over the next fortnight. "I'm tinkering with a couple of little things which I still don't think are perfect by any stretch of the imagination," he said. "I've still got a fair bit of work to do to get that right before I get to India and it's probably going to be an ongoing process."

Positivity the key in India AUSTRALIA batsman Mike Hussey said it was vital he and his colleagues bat with positive intent in the coming Test cricket series in India. More... Positivity the key in India September 07, 2008 AUSTRALIA batsman Mike Hussey said it was vital he and his colleagues bat with positive intent in the coming Test cricket series in India. Hussey is set to play his first Test in India in Australia's defence of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy, and expects the challenge to be the toughest of his career. But the left-hander, who was man of the series in the 3-0 one-day series win over Bangladesh in Darwin, vowed not to be tied down by India's spinners. "It's important to be positive; you've got to know where you can get off strike,'' he said. "If they're just bowling ball after ball at you and you're looking to survive, they're going to get you out, there's no question. "So you need to be able to tick it over, need to be able to score and put the pressure back on them a little bit. "My game is a more conservative game, playing the percentages, so I'm probably not going to be looking to do anything outlandish to put the pressure on, but I'll certainly be looking to be positive.'' Hussey will be a key in Australia's middle order given the likely absence of Andrew Symonds, who is considering his future. Australia will name their squad this week, and depart for India on September 21. The first Test in Bangalore starts October 9.

It irritates me that the CA look after their team by flying them in early, giving them 2 practice games and time to prepare for the test series in India, whereas our board flies India into Australia 1 week before the first test (straight after a test and ODI series against Pakistan) and gives them 1 practice game. It happens in so many tours. If you look at away test series' for India (where there hasnt been an ODI series before) very often India either perform badly in a draw or lose the first test and then play better cricket as the series goes on. It just takes them a while to adjust to the conditions. How can our board not see this? Look at the Sri Lanka series (1st test lost), the Australia series (1st test lost, 2nd test ... played better but lost), the England series (played badly in a draw ... a lucky draw),

B-G Trophy : India and Australia have much to contemplate More... India and Australia have much to contemplate -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- At present the Indian Test team offers a thousand memories and a limited outlook, writes Peter Roebuck -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- India and Australia are supposed to be formidable forces preparing to renew a fierce struggle for supremacy. Instead both sides have much on their minds. More than usual the outcome of the coming series will depend on decisions taken beforehand. It’s not going to be easy for either side to determine its course. Part of sport’s challenge is that the path forward is always unmarked. As far as the Australians are concerned, the results remain imposing. The West Indies and Bangladesh did not trouble them. Australia remains unyielding and professional. Yet the Sydney Test took a toll. Even now it is hard to understand how an experienced team allowed its mood to darken so suddenly. Perhaps it was the scream of a side desperate to prove itself. It was, and remains, madness. Consequences And the consequences were far reaching. Not long afterwards Brad Hogg had retired from Test cricket. Everyone assumed that he had been offered a deal but it was not so. He’d had enough. It’s been a long time since an accredited Australian cricketer walked so blithely away. Shaun Tait also stepped aside, temporarily in his case. Wounded by exposure and expectation, he lost confidence and yearned for the shadows. Cricket can be a humiliating game. His withdrawal reinforced the impression of unease in antipodean ranks. Evidently the Australians had shed an old skin and had not yet grown another one. Symonds issue Now Andrew Symonds has been dispatched. Symonds is a funny, private, insecure, stubborn and sensitive man with powerful emotions and growing influence. When he is angry he expresses himself in furious actions, blasting hundreds or protesting pointedly. He hated all the palaver around the SCG Test and does not think Bangladesh belong in top class cricket. Its not that he’s wrong, just that frustration makes him self-destructive. He is a senior player and ought to act accordingly. Brett Lee’s personal problems and Ricky Ponting’s injury add to the impression that the Australians are vulnerable. Certainly it seems that the coach and captain have lost their grip. But India is also on shaky ground. Already the limited-over side has shrugged off the past and sought vigour and vitality. Meanwhile the Test team remains unchanged. Everyone recognises that the great men are growing old together. Opinions vary about the required response. It’s not that any of them are suddenly incapable of taking wicket or scoring runs. All of them, the four middle order batsmen and their combative captain, have the glint of battle in their eyes. Meanwhile younger contenders promise more then they deliver. But youth is never any use till given its head. Slide is underway Yet the slow slide is underway. Eventually the mind loses its edge and the ball loses its sting. Fielding and running between wickets become a chore, and concentration lapses more often than previously. As a rule batsmen are at their peak between 28 and 34. Bowlers lose their zip in their early thirties. Ageing cricketers are forced to live on their considerable wits. Dare India send all five of its elders into battle against the Australians? At present the Test team offers a thousand memories and a limited outlook. But the Australians are coming next month not next year. And, despite everything, the Indians only lost narrowly last time around. Both camps have much to contemplate. It’s tempting to attach labels, Australia the ruthless, India the sentimental. But these are diversions. The important thing is to be right. Victory will go to the side that starts the series with a spring in its step. Perish the thought, but England seems to be the most settled team right now.