India ‘A’ takes on New Zealand ‘A’

Feed

Dinda takes five in India A's 129-run win Ashok Dinda's five-wicket haul wrecked New Zealand A's middle order and helped India A take a 1-0 lead in the two-match series. Amit Mishra, the legspinner, celebrated his call-up to the Indian Test squad with three wickets to support Dinda's effort. More... India A v New Zealand A, 1st Test, Chennai, 4th day Dinda takes five in India A's 129-run win Cricinfo staff October 1, 2008 India A 248 (Vijay 45, Pathan 44, McCullum 6-90) and 336 (Raina 146, Arnel 4-38) beat New Zealand A 330 (Redmond 51, Marshall 51, Parmar 3-57) and 225 (Marshall 47, Dinda 5-60) by 129 runs Scorecard 278797.jpg Ashok Dinda (left) took 5 for 60 to sink New Zealand A to 225 © Cricinfo Ltd Ashok Dinda's five-wicket haul wrecked New Zealand A's middle order and helped India A take a 1-0 lead in the two-match series. Amit Mishra, the legspinner, celebrated his call-up to the Indian Test squad with three wickets to support Dinda's effort as India A wrapped up a 129-run win. Resuming on 41 for 1, the overnight pair of Aaron Redmond and Peter Fulton took the score to 90 before Mishra struck twice in the same over. Both were dismissed in their 30s and New Zealand needed at least one solid partnership to entertain thoughts of saving the game. Greg Hay and James Marshall began the repair work and they resisted for another 20 overs. It was only in the 49th over of the innings when the wheels came apart for New Zealand. Dinda was on a hat-trick after he removed Hay and Neil Broom, and New Zealand had lost half their side for 148. Dinda dismissed Nathan McCullum soon after for 3 and the tail couldn't give enough support to Reece Young, who remained unbeaten on 39. Dinda took the last two wickets to finish with 5 for 60, his third five-wicket haul in first-class cricket. India also had their captain, Suresh Raina, to thank for setting up the win. His blazing 146 on the third day helped push the target past 300. The second and final match of the tour begins on Friday at the same venue.

Ashok Dinda with impressive performances in both innings. I didn't rate his ability to convert his explosive action and pace to the FC game and his statistics have not been impressive to date; but such a performance after getting his big break in the IPL is important for his future prospects. I do maintain that I disagree strongly with picking him from IPL performances in a FC match before he earned a strong FC record... I would be interested to see how he got his wickets and whether he could keep the pace up to 130-140kph during the longer form of the game.

R.P. Singh, Ganguly to play for India ‘A’ More... R.P. Singh, Ganguly to play for India ‘A’ Chennai: Sourav Ganguly and Rudra Pratap Singh, both included in the Indian squad for the first two cricket Tests against Australia, will take part in the second and final ‘Test’ between India ‘A’ and New Zealand ‘A’, for gaining match-practice ahead of the Test series. The match at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium here will be held from October 3 to 6. The first India-Australia Test begins in Bangalore on October 9. Ganguly and R.P. Singh will arrive here on Thursday morning and are scheduled to practice at the MAC ‘B’ ground at 2.30 p.m.

I don't see the need for RP Singh in this India A team. Tyagi had a smashing domestic season and his dropping is not necessary. RP Singh should not play in the Test series as India have three seam bowlers and three spinners in the squad who should play over RP Singh, and so he does not require the match practice either.

I disagree. Tendulkar has nothing to prove and needs to fully rest his injury. Even if he has been medically cleared' date=' more rest can do no harm to what is a troubling injury issue.[/quote'] But surely he needs the match practice. He has not had a knock in the middle since SL. I fear he will not be ready to hit ground running for ball 1
I don't see the need for RP Singh in this India A team. Tyagi had a smashing domestic season and his dropping is not necessary. RP Singh should not play in the Test series as India have three seam bowlers and three spinners in the squad who should play over RP Singh' date=' and so he does not require the match practice either.[/quote'] I agree. With Munaf coming back into form RP Singh doesn't need to be in a final 11 as he relies much more on the conditions. Ideally, he's a good backup option if one of our bowlers gets injured.
I don't see the need for RP Singh in this India A team. Tyagi had a smashing domestic season and his dropping is not necessary. RP Singh should not play in the Test series as India have three seam bowlers and three spinners in the squad who should play over RP Singh' date=' and so he does not require the match practice either.[/quote'] As you feared msb, Tyagi was dropped and every bowler was just battered. RP Singh claimed 1 for 57 while Mishra claimed 2 for 62 in 23 overs. NZ A are 270/3 at the end of the day. I don't understand why could they not have dropped Sangwan instead? Tyagi has been taking wickets.

Sore throat sends Ganguly out of ground More... Sore throat sends Ganguly out of ground Chennai (PTI): A sore throat forced former India skipper Sourav Ganguly out of field for nearly two hours during the first day's play between India 'A' and New Zealand 'A' here on Friday. "Ganguly has a sore throat and is on medication. But he is getting better," India 'A' Coach Dav Whatmore said at the end of the day's play. Ganguly is playing this match to get some match practice ahead of the first Test against Australia starting October 9 in Bangalore. The 36-year-old, who fielded in the first slip in the first two hours, did not return to the field after lunch. He returned to the field only about 10 minutes before tea-break. However, there was no official word from the umpires or match referee D Vasu, who said that it was an "internal matter" and can't be discussed with media.

NZ A v India A day one scorecard More... India A v New Zealand A, 2nd Test, Chennai, 1st day Redmond, Guptill put New Zealand A on top Cricinfo staff October 3, 2008 New Zealand A 270 for 3 (Redmond 105, Guptill 80, Hay 44*, Mishra 2-62) vs India A Scorecard A solid start by the openers ensured New Zealand A were in a commanding position on the opening day of the second Test against India A, scoring 270 for 3. Having won the toss and elected to bat, Aaron Redmond and Martin Guptill put on 190 for the opening wicket, as the Indian bowlers struggled to make inroads. Redmond carried his form from the first Test, scoring 105 in an innings which included 12 fours and a six while Guptill was the perfect foil with 80. The Indian bowlers toiled hard without any success for most part of the day. Suresh Raina, the captain, used six bowlers, but only two of them were successful. The one bright passage of play for India was after tea, when legspinner Amit Mishra struck a double blow, dismissing Guptill and captain Peter Fulton (5) in successive overs. Guptill was caught at deep midwicket by Cheteshwar Pujara while Fulton was caught behind. Redmond reached his century with a six over midwicket off Ravindra Jadeja but was stuck on 105 for more than four overs before he was bowled by RP Singh. The Indians had one further chance, but Raina spilled an easy catch at slip off Jadeja to reprieve Greg Hay on 33. By close of play, Hay had moved on to 44 and had added 41 for the fourth wicket with James Marshall, who was unbeaten on 21. The match is also an opportunity for Sourav Ganguly to get some practice before the first Test against Australia, but on the opening day he had little to do, standing in the slips through the first couple of hours. He was off the field for most of the post-lunch session, and spent the last one hour fielding in the deep.