Security issues

Feed

Aussies are worried: Clark Australian fast bowler Stuart Clark has admitted that his teammates were worried over the fact that they will be visiting New Delhi to play a Test match where recently bomb blasts claimed many lives. More... Aussies worried over coming to Delhi: Clark Press Trust Of India Melbourne, September 30, 2008 First Published: 11:53 IST(30/9/2008) Last Updated: 11:58 IST(30/9/2008) Australian fast bowler Stuart Clark has admitted that his teammates were worried over the fact that they will be visiting New Delhi to play a Test match where recently bomb blasts claimed many lives. "It is pretty fresh in everyone's mind at the moment. We are still hanging out and waiting to see what will happen, but there is some concern that we are going to somewhere where an explosion has just been. I would be lying if I said there wasn't," Clark was quoted as saying in Sydney Morning Herald. Australians are scheduled to play third of four matches in the series in New Delhi from October 29. However, Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade had told Cricket Australia that the advice on touring India had not changed despite two blasts in two weeks in the national capital. CA spokesman Peter Young had also said that after a briefing from DFAT no restrictions would be put on the players and they would not be confined to the team hotel. "The protocols haven't changed. They're doing things like avoiding major markets and avoiding religious gatherings on public holidays. The sorts of things that tourists are advised to avoid as well," Young said.

Wait, now we need to be afraid to say that we are not scared in our own country ? If I cannot say that I'm safe at my own home, it is shameful - and what message does it put across to other nations who keep waiting for something stupid to avoid touring ? It may be true that these terrorist attacks are happening more frequently, and it is high time that they be stopped. But to say that we can't speak freely about the state of our nation because it would anger the terrorists is not right. What Sachin said is absolutely true. If he is not an Indian, he is justified in saying that he is afraid of the attacks - but as an Indian (and as someone whose words are highly respected), he ought to say that these attacks are not going to stop us from moving our lives forward. Otherwise, why don't all of us sit in our homes tightly and feel secure ? Eh, sorry for the rant but I completely agree with Sachin on this point.
Rightly said :hatsoff:

Teammates contradict Clark, happy with security Australian skipper Ricky Ponting has denied having any apprehension in playing in Delhi following the recent blasts. More... Teammates contradict Clark, happy with security Agencies Posted: Sep 30, 2008 at 1459 hrs IST Hyderabad, September 30: : Pacer Stuart Clark finds himself isolated in the Australian cricket team after his fellow players, including skipper Ricky Ponting, on Tuesday denied having any apprehension in playing in Delhi following the recent blasts. Clark told the Australian media that the recent blasts had left the players jittery about playing the third of the four-match Test series against India in Delhi but his teammates on Tuesday said they had full faith in Cricket Australia (CA) and the security cover provided to them was also quite reassuring. Captain Ricky Ponting distanced himself from Clark's view and said, "I don't think his comments reflect the view of the team. "We are keeping an eye on the scenario and are in constant touch with security people to know what they think of the situation. They are comfortable with the security provided to us and we are comfortable too. I must say we are happy with the arrangements," Ponting said. Vice captain Michael Clarke also ruled out any such apprehension and said, "We have a security expert with us and he is doing his job. The team has full faith in our cricket board and the Australian Cricketers Association and we know they are taking the right decisions." Pace spearhead Brett Lee too looked equally relaxed and convinced that organisers had put in place a foolproof system for the visitors. "They have put in place a comprehensive security system and we are going by the judgement of the security experts. I don't think there is anything to worry," Lee said. Senior batsman Matthew Hayden was also satisfied with arrangements and said, "I'm very confident that they have put enough security in place and it would remain same for the remainder of the tour." Opener Phil Jacques, however, felt it is only natural to have concerns after a blast but said he was not worried. "Whenever a bomb goes off, there is some concern but Cricket Australia and the BCCI are working together and got a security system in place. I don't have any concern, I'm just looking forward to the series coming up," said the batsman. Teammate Simon Katich and rookie spinner Bryce McGain were no exception either and the duo said they were feeling "safe and comfortable" in India.