Australian team for B-G Trophy 2008 : Symonds out, Now McGain also out

h4te

Australia : 'Pace is the key' National selection panel chairman Andrew Hilditch believes Australia's pace attack could hold the key to beating India in the upcoming four-test series. More... Pace is the key 13/09/2008 9:55 AM Marcus Wilson National selection panel chairman Andrew Hilditch believes Australia's pace attack could hold the key to beating India in the upcoming four-test series. Experienced campaigners Brett Lee and Stuart Clark will again lead the charge while Mitchell Johnson, Doug Bollinger and Peter Siddle will also be pushing for selection after being named in the national squad on Friday. Shane Watson will also feature in the bowling line-up. Their contribution will be particularly important considering the inexperienced spinners the Aussies will be taking to the sub-continent. Hilditch is hopeful the fast bowlers can make an impact. "We think we are very well placed in the pace attack," Hilditch said. "We won last time because of our quick bowlers and we think it will be the same this time." "It's a very strong squad that has been added to by Bolllinger and particularly Siddle who is only 23. We think he will do very well in those conditions and is ideally suited." Only time will tell whether Australia's new-look line-up will have what it takes to beat the Indians on their home soil. But win, lose or draw, it'll highlight the depth of Australian cricket now that most of the stars of the game have retired. "This is an icon Test series and will really gauge how we are going," Hilditch said. The upcoming tour has opened up opportunities for a number of cricketers but Beau Casson and Dan Cullen are two players that would be feeling on the outer after being overlooked. Hilditch said Cullen should feel optimistic that the selectors are keen to player finger spinners (not just leg-spinners) but added Casson was 'very unlucky'. "We were happy with the way he went in the West Indies. He took his opportunity, got three wickets and played in a winning side. As a concept he has to be unlucky not to be there," Hilditch said. "As Beau has been told it is a selection for India - we wanted a leg-spinner and wanted a right-arm finger spinner which unfortunately meant Beau wasn't there." Hilditch said it would've been preferable to take a more experienced team to India but added the subcontinent was no longer a daunting destination. "As far as playing in India, conditions have improved a lot, the grounds, the playing surface is excellent, the crowds are great," Hilditch said. "So the one thing that has changed is the players love going there - it's a great place to play cricket." "This is really up there for the players."

Sehwag: No Symonds helps us Indian opening batsman Virender Sehwag said Andrew Symonds' exclusion from the Australian team would favour India in their upcoming Test series. More... Sehwag: No Symonds helps us 13/09/2008 2:11 PM PA Sport 00015246-image.jpg Indian opening batsman Virender Sehwag said Andrew Symonds' exclusion from the Australian team would favour India in their upcoming Test series. Symonds was dropped from the Australian team announced on Friday for the four-Test tour of India starting next month in Bangalore. The 33-year-old all-rounder was reprimanded and ordered to return home when he chose to go fishing instead of attending a team meeting just before a one-day series against Bangladesh in Darwin earlier this month. "Of course his omission is going to help us," Sehwag said. "He is a player who can change the course of a match with either his batting or his bowling." "Coming in as he does at number five or six, he is a dangerous batsman." "India will definitely benefit from his absence." "However, having said that, he is a quality player and his absence is a big loss for the game." "It is players like Symonds who make the game interesting and a spectacle to watch." Despite the absence of Symonds and injuries to captain Ricky Ponting and Matthew Hayden, Sehwag believes that it will still be difficult for India to beat the tourists. "It is going to be a challenge and we would have to be on our toes to beat them." "Ponting and Hayden are recovering from injuries, but I think they would be fit and on the field when the first Test comes around." "The absence of an experienced and quality spinner might cost them though." "You have to have a good spinner in the squad."

National selection panel chairman Andrew Hilditch believes Australia's pace attack could hold the key to beating India in the upcoming four-test series. More... Pace is the key 13/09/2008 9:55 AM Marcus Wilson National selection panel chairman Andrew Hilditch believes Australia's pace attack could hold the key to beating India in the upcoming four-test series.
:hysterical: Ofcourse pace will be the key, since you have no spinners:hysterical:

Bollinger looks long term Seamer Doug Bollinger does not see the Test tour of India as his last chance to cement a place in the Australia team. More... Bollinger looks long term 13 September 2008 Seamer Doug Bollinger does not see the Test tour of India as his last chance to cement a place in the Australia team. The 27-year-old left-armer is one of four players in the Australian squad hoping to make their Test debut in the four-match series; he travelled to the West Indies in June but did not play a Test. "It's great to be in the Australian team, especially on a tour of India," Bollinger said. "You have got to step up and face these challenges. As a cricketer you must adapt to the conditions in order to be a better bowler. "I don't believe that it will be a make-or-break trip for me personally because I want to make something out of it and look for a long stint with the Australian team. "We need to enjoy the role given to us to be better cricketers. That is why I am looking for all the fun that it is to be with the national team even while putting my best efforts to live up to expectations." doug-bollinger-105325.jpgDoug Bollinger is keen to use Australia's "transition phase" to win a permanent place in the side Bollinger feels that with Australia still striving to find replacements for Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath following their retirements, he can hold out genuine hope of earning a regular berth in the side. "We have had a great team for the last 10 years and it would have been difficult to break in,” Bollinger added. "But now due to the transition phase, bowlers like me can be positive." Right-arm medium pacer Peter Siddle, who, like Bollinger, is part of the Australia A side currently in India, admitted the call-up to the senior team was a “decisive moment” in his career. "I am ready for the challenge and to make the most of the opportunities that come my way," said the 24-year old Victorian. Siddle played for his state against India during their tour of Australia earlier this year, a game during which he dismissed India legend Sachin Tendulkar. He added: "I clearly remember bowling for Victoria against the visiting Indians in a three-day match. Bagging Sachin Tendulkar is one of the best things to have happened to me. "There is no better feeling than the challenge of bowling to the likes of Tendulkar, about whom we have read for so many years, and if I were to get his wicket for my first Test victim it would be special."

This is clearly a crippled Australian side that is touring India. Besides Lee/Clark' date=' they have no established test bowler (in international circuit). Having said this, I am not saying this will be a cakewalk for India, but if India cannot beat this Aussie side (with having an home advantage) then I don't know how exactly would I react.[/quote'] I love it how the super confident indian supporters just say automatically we expect to win. Australia hasn't lost a test series for over 2 years and have only lost 1 test series in the past 5 years plus india haven't won a test series at all this year I can't remember the last time they won a series. Also if india can't beat pakistan how can they beat australia, the aussies are much better than pakistan. I think australia will win the series easily and it will be the las test matches that laxman, ganguly, dravid, tendulkar and kumble play.
I love it how the super confident indian supporters just say automatically we expect to win. Australia hasn't lost a test series for over 2 years and have only lost 1 test series in the past 5 years plus india haven't won a test series at all this year I can't remember the last time they won a series. Also if india can't beat pakistan how can they beat australia' date= the aussies are much better than pakistan. I think australia will win the series easily and it will be the las test matches that laxman, ganguly, dravid, tendulkar and kumble play.
we did beat them.

No reprieve for Roy : Ponting rules out Symonds call-up to India Ricky Ponting has ruled out calling upon the services of exiled all-rounder Andrew Symonds at any stage of his side's four-Test tour to India. More... Ponting rules out Symonds call-up 22/09/2008 10:37 AM Steve Orme 00027099-image.jpg Ricky Ponting has ruled out calling upon the services of exiled all-rounder Andrew Symonds at any stage of his side's four-Test tour to India. Symonds, who made his return to cricket for the Gold Coast Dolphins in their three-wicket loss to University of Queensland in the opening round of the Cougar One Day Cup on Sunday, was overlooked for the 15-man squad after failing to attend a team meeting ahead of the recent one-day series with Bangladesh. But while he is resigned to living without the services of the dynamic Queenslander against the star-studded Indians, Ponting, an ardent supporter of Symonds throughout his career, is confident he still has plenty to offer at the highest level. "I thought there were some positive signs for Andrew last week actually that he faced the press and said what he said and probably admitted to a few of his shortcomings," Ponting said. "But that's great, that says he's on the right track and for me as a captain and all the other players we're obviously delighted with that." "And we hope that that keeps going in a positive direction and that we can have him back in the Australian team sooner rather than later." Pressed on the likely timing of a return Ponting replied: "How quickly it happens is up to him, there's some things that by listening to him the other day he knows he now has to do and it's a matter of him going out and getting those things done." "I wouldn't have thought that'd be too soon." "It's going to take time for him to address some of his issues and he'd probably be the first to admit that now." Ponting conceded Symonds' absence - particularly his prowess against spin bowling - would be missed in India, but backed his remaining players to get the job done. "It's no good worrying about it or thinking about it but you miss someone with his skills and his personality around the team," he said. "He's a terrific bloke to have around and he will be when he comes back - if he wants to come back." "But we've got the squad that we've got, we've got some other terrific players of spin in that side as well and guys that have been their and had success in the past."

McGain ruled out of first Test Leggie fails to recover from a shoulder injury he sustained last month. More... Australia in India 2008-09 McGain ruled out of first Test Cricinfo staff October 1, 2008 Australia's preferred spinner on the India tour, Bryce McGain, has been ruled out of the first Test after failing to recover from a shoulder injury he sustained last month. McGain's ongoing problem means Jason Krejza, the offspinner, is almost certain to make his Test debut when the series begins in Bangalore on October 9. McGain strained his right shoulder while on tour with Australia A in September and while he was confident the injury was not serious, he has struggled to bowl in the past week. McGain will not play in the Australians' final tour match against a Board President's XI starting in Hyderabad on Thursday and is also in doubt for the second Test. McGain, 36, failed to bowl at the squad's first net session in India last week and missed the tour opener against the RCA Center of Excellence. He tested the shoulder at training in Hyderabad on Tuesday but pulled up sore. More to follow ...

As Australia prepare to ditch a spinner, Symonds told: You're not going to be called up The Australia selectors are likely to wait until after the current tour match in Hyderabad before deciding whether leg-spinner Bryce McGain will see out the tour of India.409164206More... As Australia prepare to ditch a spinner, Symonds told: You're not going to be called up By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 12:13 PM on 02nd October 2008 The Australia selectors are likely to wait until after the current tour match in Hyderabad before deciding whether leg-spinner Bryce McGain will see out the tour of India. But if McGain should need to return home, there is virtually no prospect that Andrew Symonds will be his replacement. McGain, who strained his right shoulder during the Australia A tour of India last month, was unable to bowl in Australia's tour opener last week and pulled up sore after a net session on Tuesday. No way back: Andrew Symonds According to Cricket Australia (CA) acting chief executive Michael Brown, the 36-year-old Victorian's prospects of making his Test debut are complicated by a tight schedule. He said the chairman of the National Selection Panel, Andrew Hilditch, who arrives in India on Friday, wants to be certain that the latest medical assessment is correct. 'If there's any possibility of Bryce being fit and able to play they want to look into that,' Brown said. 'Andrew Hilditch wants to sit down with team management and the players and he wants to see the team play in the match that's started today. 'A decision, if any, will be made after this match but, given we play virtually four back-to-back Test matches, we're keen to make sure that Bryce knows where he sits.' Brown said that no-one has been placed on standby, but effectively poured cold water on Symonds' prospects of a prompt return from the wilderness. article-0-02B0C963000004B0-91_306x423.jpg Symonds, who was dismissed from the Australian team during the recent series against Bangladesh for going fishing and missing a team meeting, needs to pass a medical assessment before being eligible for national selection. 'That's up to the medical people,' said Brown. 'From a cricket perspective we would love to have Andrew back when he's ready, but at this stage that question hasn't been asked. 'Andrew is working through what he needs to work through with the people close to him and we're supporting him in every way we can.' Brown added that CA were continuing to work closely with the Board of Control for Cricket in India on general security issues.

White bizarre choice to replace McGain AUSTRALIA'S selectors sprang a surprise Saturday by bizarrely choosing Victorian captain Cameron White to replace injured legspinner Bryce McGain in the Test squad to face India. More... White bizarre choice to replace McGain October 04, 2008 AUSTRALIA'S selectors sprang a surprise Saturday by bizarrely choosing Victorian captain Cameron White to replace injured legspinner Bryce McGain in the Test squad to face India. White has been regarded as a limited overs option in recent times, his last flirtation with a spot in the Test side when he toured India as part of the victorious 2004 team. Since then, White has worked hard to improve his flat leg breaks, but has only been used sparingly as a bowler when in the Australian one-day and Twenty20 teams. His more lasting impression has been made as an uncomplicated batsman capable of hitting sixes. Chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch, however, said White's experience in India - he recently captained Australia A to a limited overs series victory here - and versatility made him a worthwhile choice. “We feel that Cameron's right-arm leg spin and experience in Indian conditions, where he has just returned after captaining the Australia A one-day team to a tournament victory, is the correct option and will provide a good balance to our slow bowling attack,” Hilditch said after arriving in India. “Cameron's bowling has continued to improve over the past year at interstate level and his powerful batting adds extra depth and versatility to the squad. “He has performed well in Australian colours since his return to the one-day international squad earlier this year and he has now been rewarded with inclusion in the Test squad.” His selection is another setback for NSW wrist spinner Beau Casson, who made his Test debut in the West Indies earlier this year but has since been passed over in favour of McGain, off spinner Jason Krejza and now White. White will reach India in time to meet the team when they fly to Bangalore on Monday to prepare for Thursday's first Test in the four-match series.